EQ7 Class Quilt University

rated by 0 users
This post has 378 Replies | 15 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:12 AM

Judy, what I love about your quilt is the secondary patterns. That is the kind of thing I'd like to learn how to do. I know understand how some quilt effects are managed that just boggled my mind before I started playing with EQ. Things like controlling gradients across a quilt, or the two block and three block quilts that end up being a lot more than you would expect it to be. Quilts like yours.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:20 AM

Starling:

I think the problem might be that if you are going to cut half square triangles out of squares, you need to make the squares 7/8 inch larger, not 1/2 inch larger. That alone will give you the difference you are seeing in your sample block.

You also might want to make the sample blocks out of scraps instead of muslin. You will see what the block really ought to look like that way, and you end up with a usable block for some small project in the future.

Oh Starling, this was a different block from the one that HSTs. This one just had squares. This was a stock block from the library and I made no changes to it other than the print menu.

On the first block, I figured out after the fact,  that I needed to add 7/8 to the size of the squares to have the HSTs come out to the correct size. lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:17 PM

Lillie,

which block were you trying to make? 7.25 is an unusual block size. You should round to the nearest eighth instead of quarter inch. This is what I tried to explain in an earlier post. Your block may have better suited for templates than for rotary cutting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:19 PM

Lillie,

when printing cutting instructions for one block you also need to make sure that the print dialog box has "use size from quilt" checked.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Starling:
Judy, what I love about your quilt is the secondary patterns. That is the kind of thing I'd like to learn how to do.

Starling. It was an accident. I selected the two blocks and put them into the quilt. Then I started playing with the rotate block tool. Try this with just one block. Get it all colored. Make a quilt out of that one block. Then, click on the rotate tool, hold down the Alt button on your keyboard and then click in the first block on the quilt top. Wondrous things happen!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:58 AM

Kris:

Lillie,

which block were you trying to make? 7.25 is an unusual block size. You should round to the nearest eighth instead of quarter inch. This is what I tried to explain in an earlier post. Your block may have better suited for templates than for rotary cutting.

Kris-yes I know that is an unusual size, just trying to find a correct size that would  fit into a border. I made it out of muslin just to see if it would fit. But the size for one of the pieces was off by 1/8-inch. Which I found interesting because it was all squares. No HSTs or other shapes. The block turned out to be 1/2-inch too small when sewn together.

Now I'm thinking if I had selected a finished size of 7-3/4-inch in the print menu, it might have turned out to be the correct size for a cornerstone.  

Oh well, live and learn. I came up with a different design, off the top of my head, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your reply. 8-)

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:59 AM

Kris:

Lillie,

when printing cutting instructions for one block you also need to make sure that the print dialog box has "use size from quilt" checked.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I had that selected. I should go back and try it again and see what happens.

Thanks Kris.

northern colorado

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 11:40 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Starling:
Judy, what I love about your quilt is the secondary patterns. That is the kind of thing I'd like to learn how to do.

Starling. It was an accident. I selected the two blocks and put them into the quilt. Then I started playing with the rotate block tool. Try this with just one block. Get it all colored. Make a quilt out of that one block. Then, click on the rotate tool, hold down the Alt button on your keyboard and then click in the first block on the quilt top. Wondrous things happen!

Oh my, I've got to try that.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

I just signed up for a Quilt U class starting January 18th. EQ Applique Design by Patti Anderson. Is anyone else going to take this one? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,975
Points 368,777
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:31 PM

Judy,

I have a book on drawing appliqué but have no plans to take the class. would love to but I know I wouldn't do anything with it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,824
Points 123,495

Kris:

Judy,

I have a book on drawing appliqué but have no plans to take the class. would love to but I know I wouldn't do anything with it.

Kris, I know what you mean. I kind of think that is what will end up with me also. But I'm hoping it will give me another tool or better understanding in using EQ7.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I'm sorry to be so challenged, I have EQ7 and can do a few things, but can someone explain to me what Block Base is?

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,548
Points 47,740

Blockbase has over 4000 historic block patterns and is an additional library for EQ7. You can search for blocks and print the directions for making them. You can choose rotary cutting, paper pieciong or templates. They will give a history of the block if it is known. I believe it is supposed to have all the blocks that Barbara Brackman put in her book.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Thank you Pat, I just looked on EQ's site and it is on sale. I may have to give it a try.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:08 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I just signed up for a Quilt U class starting January 18th. EQ Applique Design by Patti Anderson. Is anyone else going to take this one? 

Judy,

I was going to wait to take the one starting Feb 1.  Are you planning on taking that one too?  If not I may try to sign up for the appliqué one with you.  I like having someone else taking the class at the same time.

Page 21 of 26 (379 items) «Prev1920212223Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use