EQ7 Class Quilt University

rated by 0 users
This post has 378 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 11:41 PM

Has anyone started the Block Base Sew a long? 

I scanned some Christmas Fabric I might use on this block..

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Annie:

Morning Annie. I did the block but I may make another one with different fabrics. I'm not crazy about the light lilac and wish I'd put it in the background instead of the center. I hadn't thought about using a holiday for this series.  I might copy your idea as I don't have a Christmas quilt. Then it would be all ready for next Christmas.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 5:46 PM

Pretty block Judy.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 10:31 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Annie:

Morning Annie. I did the block but I may make another one with different fabrics. I'm not crazy about the light lilac and wish I'd put it in the background instead of the center. I hadn't thought about using a holiday for this series.  I might copy your idea as I don't have a Christmas quilt. Then it would be all ready for next Christmas.

Judy,

I read that there will be 12 blocks in total, so if we get 2 per month that puts us finishing it by March?  Maybe a Spring quilt?  I have to make a Christmas one.  I only have one that I made many years ago and I don't like the colors values I chose for it.  It is a log cabin missing the contrast.

I like your choice of colors.  But I'm not crazy about the block itself.  I wish they would have chosen another one.

Maybe we should start out own EQ 7 BOM ???  Where we take turns choosing the block, maybe a possibility, what do you think?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Thu, Oct 4 2012 12:04 PM

Annie:

Judy,

Maybe we should start out own EQ 7 BOM ???  Where we take turns choosing the block, maybe a possibility, what do you think?

I don't have Blockbase. I might be interested in a EQ7 BOM based on the blocks that are included in the program.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Oct 5 2012 9:21 AM

Starling, I think it might be fun to have EQ 7 BOM.  I'll go on the group sight and see if there is one and if not try to set one up.

Judy, I received this response from Fran regarding future EQ classes:

This is my last class for 2012, but I will be resuming my teaching schedule in January 2013. Registration for those classes will open six weeks before they start. They should start appearing on the QU schedule sometime in Nov.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Annie:

Judy, I received this response from Fran regarding future EQ classes:

This is my last class for 2012, but I will be resuming my teaching schedule in January 2013. Registration for those classes will open six weeks before they start. They should start appearing on the QU schedule sometime in Nov.

Annie, thank you. I'm so glad to hear that. I'll be looking forward to her next class.

I just got home from a day at a Shop Hop. 300 miles we drove today to go to just 8 shops. It's in a remote part of the state on the Olympic Peninsula and the shops are few and far between. Two ferry rides are needed to reach the shops. It was a  gorgeous day and we had a great time. Each shop gave us a fat quarter and entry into a drawing for a Singer Featherweight. Of course, I just had to buy more fabric in the 50% off bins. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,535
Points 47,570

I printed the final class last night. It has been much better than I anticipated. I'm looking forward to next year and the next classes. I also signed up for the Border Workshp which started last night. It looks really interesting and actually involves sewing I think. I am on vacation for a week so hope to finish the EQ7 class and get a good start on the border class. Housework? Cleaning? Yardwork? Nah, that doesn't sound like a vacation, LOL.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 7,440

I live in California and I just purchased EQ7 at one of my local quilt shops. Maybe you can check some shops that are near you they might carry it there, and good luck. Unfortunately I got it too late to sign up for the class so I just have the videos to go by with the software.  I have been expermenting with mine to get the feel of it. Good Luck I hope that you are able to find someplace locally to purchasde it.

Pat B from Sunny Southern California

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,535
Points 47,570

The class will be repeated next year. I believe they run the class a couple of times per year. With the holidays coming up it will be next year before any of us are ready, LOL. There are lessons in the manual that you can be working on as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:17 AM

Judy I like it I think its very pretty .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 10:22 AM

HI everyone, I just wanted to share with you all about how I'm feeling with the hope to get some advice/support...

OK, so I just completed EQ 7 Class with Fran. And, redone all 7 lessons from EQ, and still feel completely overwhelmed about creating a quilt.  Every time I start to start a new project, I fall back on what is familiar and honestly, quite boring.  

I need to start thinking out side the box.  

If anyone has any words of advice, I'd love to hear them.  

I was thinking about setting up a BOM of sorts where participants would creat a block, and then share with the group.  Perhaps with some common measurements so that the blocks would fit together.

Any thoughts??

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Annie:
I was thinking about setting up a BOM of sorts where participants would create a block, and then share with the group.  Perhaps with some common measurements so that the blocks would fit together.

I think this is a great idea. What if we carry it one step further and the designed block is laid it out in a quilt design. Perhaps with ideas for sashing designs or border blocks? It might be fun if others then made modifications and we could see how it progressed.

Common measurements are fine but we can always make the blocks any size we want within EQ. If you design a block that finishes at 6" and I want it at 12" all I have to do is use 12" blocks in my quilt.

Annie, I took two of the modified blocks in the Sampler lesson, the T block modified and the modified Kaleioscope for a two block quilt. When I get home tonight I'll post the blocks and what I've done so far. Or did I already do that? Geezz, I'm getting muddled and befuddled.

Like you, I also tend to do the same basic thing over and over so I know what you mean. The class did help as it gave me some blocks to play with and modify. I still have to go back over the lessons again as there are finer points that still elude me if I don't do them over and over.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090

What you are both suggesting will take the class to the next level and I'd love to be a part of it. Another suggestion might be that we start with blocks. And then once we have a few of them, turn them into two and three block quilts. Not necessarily to make them, but to practice designing as a group.

Before I start I need to actually finish the class. I've got part of lesson 3 and all of lesson 4 to do.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Mon, Oct 8 2012 2:34 PM

The idea of designing blocks and quilts sounds like fun. Can anybody play?

I took the EQ classes several years ago and would love to improve my skills. I fiddle with EQ every few weeks, designing a quilt, but not making any of them, so far.

I just bought fabric to make a quilt I designed using Leesa Chandler's "Passage to India" from Robert Kaufman. It's a one block quilt, a block from Barbara Brackman's "BlockBase".

A good place to break out of the tried-and-true is on DoYouEQ.com where there is a monthly challenge. This month it is to design a new block for the holidays. I'm still mulling that one over, trying to find an idea to enter.

If the exercise is open to anyone who has EQ, count me in!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 35
Page 19 of 26 (379 items) «Prev1718192021Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use