EQ7 Class Quilt University

rated by 0 users
This post has 378 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 7:20 AM

Oh you are not the last one. I have not even started Lesson 1 yet. Maybe on Monday. lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 8:31 PM

Between shifts mopping and cleaning my great-room floor (and putting tile sealer on it), I have been working on EQ Sampler Lesson 1.  And I made it through the lesson, but haven't started the Bonus Exercise yet.  Very neat, but I will probably need to run through this a couple of times to retain everything...lol!

I do have one question for those of you with more experience:  I was enthralled with the "fussy cut" tool (very neat!) and used it on a fabric in several of my blocks.  However, the fussy-cut shows up accurately (as I designed it) on the worktable, but not in the sketchbook...or in the image that I sent to QU (I bcc'd myself, so I could see exactly how it looked).  Any ideas?  When I bring the block back up on the worktable from the sketchbook, it is again perfectly "fussy-cut".   Seems like the fussy cut does not carry over to the sketchbook, but the underlying record file retains that info???  

Have I done something wrong or is that just how it is?

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,685
Points 120,695

Donna B:
the fussy-cut shows up accurately (as I designed it) on the worktable, but not in the sketchbook...or in the image that I sent to QU (I bcc'd myself, so I could see exactly how it looked). 

Donna, I went back and played with one of the blocks. I used a large floral fabric and fussy cut it. Looked great. Then I exported the image of the block and it wasn't fussy cut any longer.

Hmm.  So I went to the quilt that I used that block in. Made sure it was fussy cut and exported the image of the quilt. It shows fussy cut.

I'm going to play with it a bit more and see what I come up with. I didn't notice that when I took the class in August.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

This would be a good question to ask the teacher, Fran.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 8:36 AM

Judy and pat. 

Fran says that fussy cuts don't export. I think it's a temporary setting to get  an idea how changing the fabric around may change the overall look of e design. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:08 AM

Donna B:

Between shifts mopping and cleaning my great-room floor (and putting tile sealer on it), I have been working on EQ Sampler Lesson 1.  And I made it through the lesson, but haven't started the Bonus Exercise yet.  Very neat, but I will probably need to run through this a couple of times to retain everything...lol!

When I did the bonus lesson I realized just how much I had not retained. <grin> But I'm going to go forward anyway. Still, I can tell that either one has to do the class more than once or you have to almost immediately start a project of your own to retain what you are learning.

Another reason to be unhappy that the second class in the series is not there to lock in what I am learning.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,685
Points 120,695

Annie:

Judy and pat. 

Fran says that fussy cuts don't export. I think it's a temporary setting to get  an idea how changing the fabric around may change the overall look of e design. 

Thank you Annie. I figured it must be something like that. It does stay in place when exporting the image of the entire quilt top. Go figure.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,685
Points 120,695

Starling:
can tell that either one has to do the class more than once or you have to almost immediately start a project of your own to retain what you are learning.

Sterling, you are exactly right!  I have to do something several times to retain it.  I'd get to the bonus section and then have to refer back. When I finished the class (in July or August I think), I did design something using the skills learned. But now, a couple months later, I'm going to have to go back and repeat the lessons to relearn some of the steps.

I did post the question on Quilt U about the next class and was told that life got in the way for Fran to hold the next class. I hope she's OK. She's a really wonderful teacher and explains things quite well.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:29 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I hope she's OK. She's a really wonderful teacher and explains things quite well

Judy, I hope she's OK too.  I have to admit Im not too sad about the canceled class, being thatI'm just about half way through the first class.  But I do want to do the second one, after the holidays would be great!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

I am with those of you who have not retained everything during this class. In my mind that makes it better that the 2nd class isn't till next year. We can redo each lesson and we can go over the lessons in the manual that came with the software. Practice is the key. I really don't want to start a new class and find out they don't instruct you on how to do things that we should have learned in the first class if I don't know what to do. I am going to make some "cheat sheets" with basic instructions to help in my practice. I have already created a "Practice" project in EQ7 so I can keep working on the skills I need. I am going to redo the blocks in differnt colors and use different sizes and colors of borders and see what I come up with. Anything too hideous can be deleted. roflol, we have instructions on deleting!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:42 AM

Good Morning everyone!  Lesson 3 was posted last night!!!  And no comments on here yet???  Wake up everyone!!!  I printed out my copy and one for MNNancy last night as she is enroute to Leavenworth - via Gini's house (last night) and my house tonight.  She and Randy should be here by 3pm today...can't wait til they get here!

I've read the Lesson 2 Bonus, but haven't done any of it yet.  Hmmm, I'm thinking some of the items look confusing, but it may be OK when I actually do them. I am wondering if those are the points Judy T was talking about.

I'm off to Leavenworth tomorrow and several of us are planning to put our heads together on the EQ7 Lessons during the week.  Hopefully, putting our heads together will be a benefit...LOL!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:46 AM

And where are all our pictures?  None of you have posted pictures of your EQ7 Sampler blocks or quilts!  Come on now...I want to see them!  I saw Pat and Thea had posted on the QU Gallery...and my humble little offerings.  There are some amazing designs on there...maybe someday...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:30 AM

Hi Donna,

Not much chatter going on here. I am done with lesson 3. Haven't posted pictures yet. I'll post them this afternoon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 11:39 AM

Hi all I've got my lessons but have been so busy with making blocks for the Iowa retreat and working on stuff for my guild quilt show havn't had much time to work on this . but once all of this stuff is done I plan on digging into it . I am also going to take a class on broders which starts next week as well .while I'm in Iowa ,guess its a good think I'm taking my laptop .. I know its been quilt here lately ,I just think everyone has been really busy . I know I have .. but we'll all get there.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 12:17 PM

I'm still in the middle of Lesson 2. Last night I printed out 3, went into the discussions and realized that our teacher has written a whole additional class which she is posting bits and pieces of in the discussions. They are all hints and tips rather than point by point "do this" lessons, but I've only copied and pasted about half of them into a Word document and I've already got 8 pages, not all of which I've read. ...[sigh]... I'm off to do a bit of Lesson 2 now.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Page 17 of 26 (379 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use