EQ7 Class Quilt University

rated by 0 users
This post has 378 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,305
MizPat replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 2:42 PM

I took all three of the EQ6 courses with Fran Gonzales, several years ago. She put a lot of thought into the lessons and even though I was very familiar with EQ6, I learned a lot from each of the classes. Fran wrote one of the books that are companion to EQ6 and the book is still relevant to EQ7 and I think it is still in print. You'll be surprised by the class. It doesn't compare to a Craftsy class, but  Quilt U was one of the first to offer any sort of online class for the quilter.

Go through the class with an open mind and you'll get a lot out of it. Enjoy!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 3:49 PM

Starling:

Has anyone taken a technique class with them? How did that work out?

I have taken a few classes from Quilt U. Not sure about a technique class. Do you have a name for it?

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 285
AAnnieC replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:10 PM

Thanks Stefikay. I still have not received my password for the EQ7 Sampler Class. I emailed Quilt U around 1pm CST and have not received a response. I just sent another email. I l know the have my correct email address and I have checked my spam. Should I be concerned?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 285
AAnnieC replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 7:35 PM

I got my password, yea! After my second email QuiltU called me with my password. I didn't know it but my email has two different spam hold areas and I was checking he wrong one. (embarrassed). 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:29 AM

Annie C gald you are joining us .  we should do great with all of us taking part. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:31 AM

Starling ,I took a quilting class just this last session, I didn't have any problems with it, the instructor did a good job with pictures and explaining what we were to do , I learned how to Tarpunto  which is something I always wanted to learn. I think everyone will do fine with this class for EQ7  If you post a picture you just do it thru your regular email ,it was not a problem at all . 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:44 AM

Lillie:

Starling:

Has anyone taken a technique class with them? How did that work out?

I have taken a few classes from Quilt U. Not sure about a technique class. Do you have a name for it?

For example, I've taken several machine quilting classes at Craftsy. Those are technique classes. Even the one that has a class project is really a technique class. You can learn the technique without doing the class project. In fact, that is what I did and I am only now making the quilt top for the class project for that class. I'm going to go back and watch each of the lessons again as I do the project. I wasn't good enough to do the class project when I first took the class, so I practiced what I could do and got better and it makes sense to do the project now. One advantage to the class being available forever is you can go back and do it again.

Quilt U has a machine quilting class that they are taking registration for right now. How would they do that class with no demonstrations? Would it be useful with no demonstrations? Even books about machine quilting have pictures and frankly they aren't as useful as a Craftsy class is with videos. I think you need to SEE some things to learn them.

On the other hand I had lots of luck learning Photoshop and digital scrapbooking doing classes that were set up much as I think the Quilt U classes are set up. We had weekly lessons to print out, a gallery and a forum where we could contact the teacher and other students for a specific period of time. (It is possible that the Quilt U setup is different, but I doubt it.)  Since EQ is a computer graphic program I expect I will do very well with a similar setup starting tonight.

But I don't think I could learn machine quilting with such a setup. There are other techniques that I think would work however, so that is my question.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,090
Starling replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 7:46 AM

Barbara:

Starling ,I took a quilting class just this last session, I didn't have any problems with it, the instructor did a good job with pictures and explaining what we were to do , I learned how to Tarpunto  which is something I always wanted to learn. I think everyone will do fine with this class for EQ7  If you post a picture you just do it thru your re email ,it was not a problem at all . 

Thank you for the answer. That is a technique class, and yes, I think you could learn it just with photographs and good instructional pdf files. So yes, you answered the question I was really asking.

Starling

Please visit my blog at http://walkinglifespathagain.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 8:37 AM

Starling ,gald I was able to help,  I really think how they have set up their framat works well and I think they do a good job giving out the info .
Yes it is different then Craftsy but it works well . 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:59 AM

Starling:
How would they do that class with no demonstrations?

Face it, we (quilters) tend to be visual learners.  I think Craftsy has really taken advantage of that...along with Jennie at Missouri Star Quilting's U-Tube videos.  I am expecting to be able to learn with QU's EQ7 classes, but I think I would do better with a more visual format.  Obviously, QU has been doing fine with their current format, but I agree it is outdated.  Hopefully, they are aware of that and will be working toward improvements (they have a lot more competition now).  I see a lot of their classes that I think I could benefit from, but for now I will wait and see.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,810

Donna

Even though Quilt U isn't video the instructions are excellent with pictures. I think iMentioned before there is only one place I couldn't figure out. I'll be waiting to see if any of you question that spot also. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:50 AM

Judy we will keep an eye open for it ,  Can you tell us at least which lesson it was in?  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 1:44 PM

I think the format Quilt U is using for learning how to use the software is a good one. It's all about go here, click on that, drag that there, make a box, color it, etc. I'm a very computer savvy person and there have been numerous times I have had to re-read the instructions. It would be the same way if there was a video of the instructor clicking/drawing/dragging on their computer. Close-up view of the computer and hopefully you can read the name of the tab/button they are clicking on.

With Craftsy, they are showing you a technique, and for me, it's much easier to watch how they sew or cut something. Rather than having static pictures of what they did after the fact. With static pictures I'm often thinking "how did they get there?" lol

Just my 2 cents worth. 8-)

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 3:54 PM

Lillie:
I think the format Quilt U is using for learning how to use the software is a good one. It's all about go here, click on that, drag that there, make a box, color it, etc. I'm a very computer savvy person and there have been numerous times I have had to re-read the instructions. It would be the same way if there was a video of the instructor clicking/drawing/dragging on their computer. Close-up view of the computer and hopefully you can read the name of the tab/button they are clicking on.

Good point, Lillie!  Don't get me  wrong, I am not knocking QU before I even have a chance to take the class!  And, you make a very good point that with the EQ7 class, it might be best to have the static pictures, step by step.  I was somewhat thinking ahead to other classes I have seen listed on QU that I am not so sure I would benefit from the written text with pictures as much as from the video format.  But, I know Barbara has been very happy with their FMQ class...which is one I would think would be better as a video.  Just thinking outloud here...

I'll keep an open mind and I just want to learn more about EQ7...if I do that, I will be a happy camper.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,517
Points 47,270

i have not taken any classes at QuiltU either. However, I think the EQ7 class will be fine because we will be working in EQ7 so the written instructions should be fine. It might even be better to have the printed lesson in front of us while we are at the computer. While I would prefer videos for other classes, I have to admit I have learned to do things from books so perhaps this venue would work for other classes as well. I admit that I am just spoiled with all the videos on QNNTV and youtube and. . . . .LOL, I was just thinking how I am working on a very old pastime - quilting -  and want all the latest technology. I feel like I have to buy all the latest rulers and every magazine out there. I find it hard to believe that the pioneer women could make the quilts they did with old fabric and not so great scissors and  I complain if my rotary blade is dull. My, my.

Page 11 of 26 (379 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use