sizing problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:21 PM

I'm a new EQ user and have EQ7. This is probably an easy question for the rest of you and perhaps it's in the manual someplace but I can't find it. I'll take a simple layout as an example:

I start a new horizontal quilt with, say, 5 blocks across and 6 blocks down. The blocks are 8" sq finished each. I add a border and select Blocks as the style (I've also tried Blocks Aligned Inside). Then it asked me for the size and then the number of blocks. So I select 3" for all sides.

Now, I want each of them to be 2-1/2" wide. How do I know how many blocks to use so the blocks across the ends and down the sides are the same size? I've experiemented with the number of blocks per side and end, but can't get them to be exactly the same size.

Am I explaining this so it makes sense? My question would apply to any block style. I wanted flying geese in the border but couldn't figure out how many to use in each side so they'd be the same.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,387
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:25 AM

Judy,

there are borders in EQ. On the borders tab just input the size the you want it to be then use the layer one tab to insert the border.

When you are on the layer (where you add blocks) there is a button that lets you add different types of borders. Just like the set block tool. THere are different types of flying geese and other fancy borders to choose from.

I'm not on my PC right now so it's hard to tell you exactly where to find things.

Here's a design I made using those borders. Is this what you want to do with yours?

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Kris

Thanks for replying. My problem is not that I don't know how to add borders in different patterns. It's that I can't get the top border blocks to be the same size as the side border blocks. I have to select a number of blocks for the sides and ends. How do I know how many blocks to put in to get them all the same size.

I do select that I want all blocks to be 2.5" but that's just the width. If my quilt is square it's not a problem as I have the same number of blocks ends and sides. But I rarely make a square quilt. It's usually, for example, 6 blocks wide by 8 blocks high. So I need more blocks in the borders on the sides than on the ends.  I play around with the number of blocks to try to get them the same size, but they are always just a bit different.

If I use a pattern from a magazine, it will call for border blocks cut 2-1/2" wide which fits all around the quilt evenly. I can't seem to do that with EQ.

I may not be explaining my problem very well as I'm a newbie using EQ7.

By the way, I love the quilt example you referred to.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,387
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:19 PM

Thanks Judy.

I get what you're asking. I usually tweak it by changing the number of blocks then I measure until it is as close as possible. If there is an easier way I haven't found it yet.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 135
I just joined this group and am reading posts. I just thought I might add my 2 cents to try to answer your question. If you open your layout page, you will see at the top what the measurement of the inside part of the quilt is, without the added borders. So following your initial layout of a horizontal layout with 8" blocks set 5 x 6, the measurment is 40 x 48" and with a 3" border is 46 x 54. If you wanted say 2"x4" finished size geese, you would divide 40 by 4 and 48 by 4. So the number of blocks in your borders would be 10 across the top and 12 down the side. Hope that is helpful.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Olecraftylady. I just read your answer. I'm only a month or so behind! Thanks for the instructions, that really helps.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use