Step 12 - working with our center piece

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,252
Points 239,972
Thea Posted: Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:27 PM

Now we have all our melons ready and we are ready to start sewing them to our center...

We are going to do half one way and half the other direction - what I mean by this is when you attach the footballs - have cornerstone 1 on the left and the next time have cornerstone 2 on the left - so half will be done one direction and the other half the other direction - if you have problems with this I will be posting pictures this afternoon!

First you take your center pieces to the pressing station and press them in half...

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,252
Points 239,972
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:29 PM

Open them up and mark the center with a pin...

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,252
Points 239,972
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:31 PM

Now grab up one of your melons - remember the direction you are placing it - you will place each one of your melons in the same direction - 

find the center and match it to the center where you marked your center background piece...

Put your pin in here  - through your 2nd seam - not your first seam - it is important that you make sure you put it in that second seam or you will be off center...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,252
Points 239,972
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 1:43 PM

Now we are going to go down to the ends... you have to be very careful here - we will not sew to the end of the center background piece but 1/4" from the end... if you have done 1/4" seams you can figure this out very neatly...

back side of melon piece...

back side of center background - see where that little piece hangs over onto the corner stone pieces...

You will start sewing at the pin - I take a few stitches forwards and then a few backwards to lock my stitch here...

I sew with the melon on top - in JF's directions he has you put the melon piece on top - I tried this and it did not work for me - so I changed and put the melon on top - I sew from seam to seam - I straighten the edge so they are both matching and sew to the next seam - straighten and sew again - when I am doing the 2nd seam to the middle - I pull out the middle pin...

When you are done you will see those little 1/4" of the center background just hanging there - they will always just hang there - they are never sewn in...

Flip this over now and look at it... then take it to the pressing station and press towards the arc...

You have now attached the 1st side to your background center - if you have any tiny pleats - take care of them now - and smooth the edge out... 

Go to step 13

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 11:38 AM

Thea, I am a new member as of yesterday.  Where do I find the begining of the quilt, starting with cutting the fabric.  I have not received by templet yet, but will soon.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Stacey replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:42 PM

You have to use the sorting and filtering tab at the top.  change the date to show all and you should find what you need.  I also change it to ascending order.  It put step 2 at the top for me.  10 and 11 down is where the supply list and the 1st step.  I just joined the group too so I'm just getting started also.  Good Luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 2:35 PM

Thanks for info.  Good luck to you also.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use