Step 4 - Cutting your strips sets into your arc strips

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea Posted: Fri, Oct 28 2011 3:01 PM

Here is a picture of my fabric lined up on my cutting mat - what I am trying to show you is that we are going to trim that one end - if you see the middle purple fabric is just over into the straight edge ruler - I am going to trim this as frugally as I can to get a straight edge.

I frugally straightened my edge.

For the 18" ring size which is what I am making here I have to cut these strips at 2 1/2" - So as you see on my ruler I have lined up one of the horizontal lines across my seam line as I want all the seam lines to be 90 degrees - I have lined the edge up with the 2 1/2" line on my ruler and I will cut here.

As you go across your strip set - if your strip set gets off kilter - not lining up horizontally for what ever reason - attempt to straighten it with pressing again - and if that doesn't work - trim frugally again to get it straight...

By cutting frugally on my edges and keeping my strip sets straight - I was able to get 8 strip sets from each of my 6 fabric units sewn together .  This is where I got my measurement from as to how much fabric I was going to need.  

Now you can move on to Step 5

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 8:08 AM

I was cutting some more strips this morning so I could continue making my BP DWR quilt and was thinking what a difficult thing it is to move that ruler and keep the lines straight.  I remembered that I have a June Tailor shape cut ruler from years ago - I got it out - dusted it off...lol... and used it to cut my strips - now the one I am doing right now is the 18" arc and the strips have to be cut in 2 1/2" increments - I laid the 6" line across one of the seams to make sure the strips stayed straight - and I was able to cut 4 strips in each section.  

The ruler that I am using has the 1/2 and 1" lines marked - I do know that she makes one that has the 1/4" lines marked for those doing the 12" size... I think I have one on my wall somewhere... more dusting later...

• Filed under: |
  • Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 3:06 PM

I have a 15" templet and it says to cut 2" strips, I did and sewed each together, now I cut 2" strips across the sewn strips but my templet does not fit the 2" strip.  What is wrong? bhogan

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 5:19 PM

Go to step 5 - I believe you are going to sew the strips again before they will fit the template!  Not quite sure though need to look at the next step!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,561
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 5:20 PM

bhogan:

I have a 15" templet and it says to cut 2" strips, I did and sewed each together, now I cut 2" strips across the sewn strips but my templet does not fit the 2" strip.  What is wrong? bhogan

yes you need to go to step 5 

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/double_wedding_ring/forum/t/26797.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use