Step 3 - Sewing your strip sets together

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 243,902
Thea Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:20 PM

I stacked all my fabrics - right sides together in stacks of 2 then 4 then 6 - so the groupings were always in the order that I wanted the strip to be.

When you are sewing these strips together - you have to make sure you do a scant 1/4" - this means if you have a 1/4" foot - you want to sew 1 thread inside of it... you should just be able to see daylight between the material and the 1/4" point.  

For the 18" strips - after you get 1 sewn together - measure it - you need a minimum of 11" - if you have more - you are fine but if you only have 10 7/8" you need to figure out where you lost that 1/8" and resew it.  

This is very very important.

For the 15" strip sets - you need a minimum of 9.5" and again if you have more great - but if you don't have 9.5" you need to figure out where you did the full 1/4" and do a scant.

Once you get all your strip sets sewn together - go to step 4

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 243,902
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:28 PM

I am hoping that you can see here - where the guard for my 1/4" is on my sewing machine and how I have a little tiny bit of daylight between it and the material.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:28 PM

Thank Thea ,I understand this well ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:29 PM

Thea ,yes it shows up well .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 243,902
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:32 PM

When you get your template package for your size arc - John Flynn puts a little bit of tape in the package - this is to help you with the 2nd sewing of the seam on your arcs - but it can also help you when sewing those strips together - if you can see that little bit of red - you are doing the scant 1/4"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,457
Points 243,902
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:37 PM

After you get your strip set sewn, you need to take the to your ironing station - you are going to press and press these...

first I pressed from the wrong side getting the seams to all go in one direction - it doesn't matter which direction - just one direction...

then I flipped over to the right side and I pushed that iron into that seam to flatten it as much as possible... all along the seam.

You have to be careful here not to distort the straightness of your seams - but you have to press these flat...

then I turn them to the wrong side again and I press with some sizing... to make sure done 

When you are pressing these seams - take a good look at your seams and make sure that both your fabrics edge is right there - 

You know how sometimes you are sewing and you think they are both together but the bottom gets moved under and you don't notice - this will affect your arcs later - so make sure that you are sewing them and keeping top and bottom exact.

One thing I did that helped me with this was to press the strips with a little sizing before I took them to my sewing machine to sew.

Step 4 is next

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 1:52 PM

My strips are sewn together, but I can not find Step 4

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use