Step 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:52 PM

Okay - we have decided the size of the quilt we want to make utilizing one of the block sizes.

I recommend starting with one of these sizes - but there is also a 6 or 9 in smaller block or the 24" which is very big...

Having said that - now we need to get back to what you need to do now...

You need to buy 6 fabrics for your ARCs...

Do not worry yet about your corner stone, center or melon fabrics.

Before you go and buy your fabric - please post under the Quilt Size/Ring Size what size you want - and I will try and assist you in the amount of fabric you will need to buy... 

I have found that I didn't use near what JF said I needed to buy.

But in any case - post there so that we can get you started with individual help.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:56 PM

Take the fabric you have chosen and prepare it for cutting 

Adjust the selvage edge so that it is touching - some fabrics today are folded so that they are not really folded in half...

Cut off the selvage - you can be a little stingy here because you want as much fabric as you can get - so if there are those little holes - you can cut over them - 

Next cut right on the fold - either open and cut down the fold - or put your ruler along the edge and cut a miniscule piece off that is the fold or using your scissors cut down the fold...

Now measure this piece - hopefully you will have over 20" - it is nice if you have a little over this amount - it helps get more strips if you have more fabric - but sometimes a piece of fabric we have chosen is just 40" after we have cut off the selvage - that is okay - we are just going to need a little more fabric then...

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:57 PM

12" ring size - we are going to cut the fabric at 1 3/4" wide strips

15" ring size - we are going to cut the fabric at 2" wide strips

18" ring size - we are going to cut the fabric at 2 1/4" wide strips

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 7:00 AM

Thea, I have received my templet and am ready to buy fabric. The size I choose is 15" blocks.  How much fabric do I purchase?  Thanks, bhogan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 11:46 AM

I am so sorry that I probably won't be able to help you figure out how much fabric you need.  There are places on the templates and in the book that he gives you the amount you need for the size you want to make.  I will look for my book and see if I can find it - I don't think it is packed yet but might have been as books I was taking got packed up already - but all of them didn't so if it is out it will be there. 

With the 15" block - you need to decide now the size quilt to determine the amount of fabric.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 135
bhogan replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 8:11 AM

Thea, I am sorry I did not make myself clear.  Block size of 15" and quilt size king size maybe 100 x 100".  Thanks bhogan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,632
Points 48,805

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:48 AM

Bhogan, I think I gave Nana instructions for fabric buying in step one for a quilt the size you want!  I am sorry but I don't have my pattern book available to look at the chart - if you got your template though it tells you on there how much you need for each step.  If I remember correctly the 15" ring takes 2" strips - then you have to figure out how many rings you get from each strip set to figure out the amount of fabric - John Flynn did the measurements fairly well if I remember right - you have to see that I haven't done this quilt since 2011 when we started this tutorial for it.  But if I have any kind of memory - go to the step that talks about size of quilt and you should be able to find where I gave someone the fabric requirements for the size you want to make.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,700
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:52 AM

Bhogan - I bumped up the instructions that I gave for the fabric amounts in the thread for that... here is part of what was said in one of the posts I did

For the 15" rings - I can get 20 arcs from a strip - I then divide that into the # of arcs I need and multiply by 2" - that gives the minimum amount of fabric.

So check to see how many arcs you need - and use the above mathematics to see how much fabric you need for that size... if you read through that thread I gave quite a bit of fabric measurements for all size of quilts.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use