General Chit Chat...

rated by 0 users
This post has 363 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,785
Jane Shackelford replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 12:04 PM | Locked

Ladies,  Don't know about the rest of you, but I am struggling to keep up.  I set a dead line for myself and it is keeping me busy.  DJ seems more like an occupation than a hobby.  Thanks to all of you for all of your kind words.  They do inspire me to keep going!!!  As some one said, "Finished is better than Perfect"  I hope this is true.  JAS

MoosebeShack

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 1,700
Sandra replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 12:38 PM | Locked

Hi Patricia, I don't scan in my actual block, I have just selected a bunch of fabrics from the included libraries to my sketchbook( in fabric libaray choose the copy button and it will add it to your fabrics in the quilt screen)

,  then when I have done a block, I go to "work  on block" choose the block I made, recolor the patches to a similar color from the choices in the program( once colored click keep in sketchbook,

and then when I go back to the quilt layout, that block in the set block screen has arrows to choose the correct colors... in the photos I attached - looking at the centre block in the bottom row shown - , one has the block as colored in the program, see where my cursor is (the arrow)                                                   !                                                                                                                                                and then the second photo is my coloring (again the cursor shows where to click to flip between coloring of this block) hope this helps

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,674
Points 63,985
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:30 PM | Locked

bump

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 740
Points 12,095
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:22 PM | Locked

Sandra, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to photo and post all this helpful information.  I am so sorry for my very late reply, but I could not access the "general chit chat" thread until Jacy "bumped" it this week -- another QCA website snafu I am sure -- anyway, I do see now what you are doing and thank you very much for the help, I think I can accomplish that method!  ; )

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 740
Points 12,095
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:28 PM | Locked

Well Jane it had better be true in my case, that is for sure!  I am also struggling to keep up, thought I could do this schedule but am now just going at my own pace, which varies depending on the amount of insanity at home from week to week.  Lately the insanity has been overwhelming.  We will get there eventually!  Instead of trying to catch up all the backlog, I am now just trying to make one or two from the current assignment, otherwise I will never be on the current blocks with everyone else until I catch up the backlog, which will be quite some time after everyone else is finished I think!  You are doing very well from what I see, just keep on plugging away!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,837
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 11:06 PM | Locked

Patricia4:
I am so sorry for my very late reply, but I could not access the "general chit chat" thread until Jacy "bumped" it this week -- another QCA website snafu I am sure

Patricia old threads get buried quickly when there are many discussions. They're still there but QCA defaults to show threads two months old or newer. You need to adjust the filter to see all the old threads. You do this from the main discussion page under "sorting and filtering".

I still haven't been able to find my more than half done DJ project so I haven't worked on any new blocks.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,320
Mary_C replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 6:15 AM | Locked

Maybe I should have used this subject for my last posting... I didn't look far enough down the list to find the topic title.  :-/

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,837
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:28 PM | Locked

Mary it's fine wherever you post. This thread just makes it easier for the group's moderator to keep track of the conversation.

Ladies I've taken over the moderator duties for this group since Jacy has left us. I'm trying to get an idea of what she was doing and where you are in your journey. If there are any missing threads for blocks I'll get them up in the next few days.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,320
Mary_C replied on Sat, Sep 20 2014 11:05 PM | Locked

Thanks, Kris, for taking over the moderator duties!  That's always a big challenge...!  :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 6,835
Barbara from California replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 11:02 AM | Locked

Hi Kris,

I just joined the group so have no idea where to even begin!!!  I saw the book online by Brenda Papadakis.for the Dear Jane quilt but the reviews said it didn't have good information for the block patterns and just had simple drawings.  Do you know if I can purchase the block patterns for the original Dear Jane quilt?  I'm afraid I might get lost in the posts here on QCA if I'm unable to keep up with the group.  Thanks!!

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,837
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 11:18 AM | Locked

Barbara,

the book has line drawings of the blocks but no information on how they are pieced. There is "Dear Jane" software from Electric Quilt that I find more useful. If you're familiar with EQ you should have no problems with it. Either way you choose should be fine.

There are several online tutorials for piecing the blocks. The Dear Jane website has tips on each block and lots of good information. The blog That Quilt provides instructions as well. She uses freezer paper to make many of her blocks (a method I enjoy.)

Don't worry about keeping up with the group. You can work at your own pace. When you're ready for show and tell just find the appropriate thread for your blocks. I will be adding tags to make them easier to find. There are many pages of discussion just take a look around. Ask questions when you get stumped.

The group has changed moderators a few times each with her own way of doing things. There are threads for individual blocks and threads for entire rows. also check out the media page and the Dear Jane gallery. I have posted most of my blocks to date. I've been on an almost two year hiatus from this project and will probably get back to it now that I'm in between projects.

Have fun and welcome to the group.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,320
Mary_C replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 1:08 PM | Locked

I've been using the DJ program from EQ...and it's been *invaluable*!   You can find them on Amazon, easily, too.  I've also gotten a LOT of help from the That Quilt blog, too!   The first block is the kicker...once you get through ONE, then you will start to pick out others you know you can do... I have liked using the book for a 'color reference' of the originals... NOT that I've followed that in any way... it's just interesting to look what was used 'originally'... 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 6,835
Barbara from California replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 1:37 PM | Locked

Kris and MaryC,

Thanks for the information.  I love the quilt and would like to try making it.  I've never worked on such small blocks though!!   When looking online again, I see that there is the book, the DJ program, and templates.  Would you recommend all three?  I have EQ but am not very good at using it so I'm wondering if the DJ program is any easier?  It will probably take me a very long time to complete the quilt....if I ever get started!!   LOL

Barbara

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
Points 1,320
Mary_C replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 1:48 PM | Locked

I don't have EQ - but, I've been able to figure out how to use the DJ software with just a little 'study'.    If you already have some EQ experience, I'm sure you can figure it out.  I am using the templates that you print out from the DJ /EQ software.    You'll be surprised how quickly these small blocks sew up.  Frankly, it takes me longer to cut out templates, cut out fabric pieces, mark sewing lines, etc, than it does to do the actual sewing!  I've found it's easiest to sit and cut out several - and bag them up... and start sewing when I get tired of doing that.  :-)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 6,835
Barbara from California replied on Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:34 PM | Locked

Thanks for the tips, Mary!  I looked online again and what they call templates actually look like specialty rulers.  So again I'm a little confused....but honestly, it doesn't take much to confuse me lately!!!  LOL   You've convinced me that if I really want to make this quilt that the DJ software would be very helpful.  So now I have to decide if I order it myself or tell my kids that I'd like it for Christmas!!   :)    One more question....do you think I need the book also?  Thanks!

Barbara

Page 16 of 25 (364 items) «Prev1415161718Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.