General Chit Chat...

rated by 0 users
This post has 230 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 10:45 AM

Barbara - looks like you hit a jackpot for your home!  No i didn't buy anything on the shop hop - I basically volunteered my time in the shop - helping customers with fabric choices and feeling fabric.  I had always thought that if I worked in a quilt shop that I wouldn't be able to contain myself - lol - but I fed my "aholism" by touching so much fabric - I didn't have the overall want to buy any - which for me was surprising...lol

I did fine last week and even this past Tues when I went out to work the store by myself so the owners could go to a doctor's appointment - that was fun - I helped customers and sewed in the store all day long on a quilt that I am doing the complex border for them - it is done now - just the border took me about 15 hours of sewing - I put the last stitch in yesterday afternoon and was going to get up early this morning and head out to the shop but those plans went by the wayside... I will try to be able to go this afternoon - 

I woke to a horrendous storm about 3 a.m. had to go out and close Jay's truck window so he didn't go to work with a wet butt...lol did that and was in tremendous pain so sat for about 1 1/2 hours waiting for it to subside... the barometric pressure was changing so fast - it truly messes with my body - it is better now but not great yet - hopeful to get to feeling better soon.  The storm knocked off another limb from our Elm tree.  This Elm tree is really old and since we have lived here it has lost 3 limbs - I keep having Tree people stopping by the house to see if I want it cut down - but half the tree was still alive and kicking and I didn't want to let it go - it is like an old relative - you know they will go one day but you don't want it anytime soon - I have been taking pictures of the tree over the years - and now will have a new one to add to the collection.  I have a small Elm that was a throw off from ours growing - it is about 4' tall now - we are growing it in a pot and when the old one has to finally be cut down we are going to put this one in its place - I don't think it is quite big enough in the trunk to plant yet - was hoping for one more year from the old one - we shall see.

I am about half done with my latest buck a block quilt - I have all the blocks for this one and the finishing kit - can't wait to get it done - it is going a little slow - was doing that border for the shop - but I am getting there  - and I have cut out a quilt from the F&P cover of the January magazine - that is next - and I have a cute quilt that I think I am going to make up for all the kids this next year - the one I made for the shop is blacks/whites and a yellow - I think I will switch out that yellow for green/red/blue/purple and make up for all the kids.  It goes really quick and is really eye catching... so think all the kids will get that quilt... ready set go...lol

I hope that all my DJ friends are doing great - and ask that we say a special prayer for our DJ group - just a simple prayer to help us all out!  thank you!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 16 2011 11:14 AM

Thea sounds like you are having some better days . I have too,but by the end of day my poor old legs are just killing me. It doesn't help much that my arches in my feet have fallen , I try buying some of those good shoes that are suppose to help ,but they hurt my feet even worse. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Well Don's son and DGS came and got the truck and all the other stuff they were to pick up , After they left I had a little  teary period , It just seems so strange not seeing Don's truck sitting out front of the house ..but at  least I know it will be used and loved . Glen was so excited about getting the truck ..Says his buddies are waiting for him to get back so they can do some graphic art  work on it ..the little enclosed trailer he took will also come in handy  as Glen races  motorcycles  and now as an extra trailer for hauling them around Texas..

We are getting ready to have a bunch of storms come thru as  I write . At this time I don't know if they a re severe or not have not had the TV on ,guess I should go check.   I'm gonna try and work on one of my new quilt kits I purchased on my trip today . Just have not figured out which one I want to start. I Pull all the DJ templates you listed on the list and have them labeled and ready to work on as the weeks pop up. Still need to do some of the older ones  and I can usually get a couple of them done in a week .I 'm really please not how most of them are coming out now and I think my hand stitching skills have improved . I'm also working on the mystery quilt in the Quiltmaker's group and Have that all caught up and anxiously waiting on the 3rd part to come out which will not be for a little while.

Our retreat time is starting to get closer everyday and I'm looking forward to it Need to start working on my blocks for the little exchange . I just purchased and older version of Electric Quilts software and have been playing with it some  has alot of neat blocks on it ..could not afford the new one it was just to much money .But this version is still got a lot to offer and I Think I'll be just as happy with it . WEll I best close up here and get my day started .hope you have a good week and take care of yourself  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 12:37 AM

Thea,

I woke up to a thunderstorm on Thursday as well. The weather people are saying more on the way for Friday and Saturday. Our temps have also dropped. Like you, all these changes are making me hurt. I could barely move when it was time to get out of bed.

I like your story about the tree. I'm glad you've documented it's journey and plan to replace it with its offspring when it's gone.

I've completed my buck a block  blocks as well but now they're sitting waiting for me to get back to them. I have a finishing kit from the LQS.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 6:42 AM

I love the Buck a Block series - making the 2 different blocks this time was fun - one dark and one light - I have started the finishing kit for mine - I was cutting the sashing last night and have some how misplaced a piece of fabric so can't do it all - I am volunteering at the LQS that I got it from tomorrow so I'll pick up some matching black.  We did this one in Black and Red and White - it is really striking.  Next year the LQS is going to do it as a monthly project - they let us get as many as we wanted this year - but I can see that they need to bring people in each month for sales.  

It is calm out here this morning but it has the feel of the calm before the storm - we are forecast for another day above 100 degrees.  It looks so calm out there right now and I have the door open so the cats can go out and play in the garden before it gets too warm - I have been getting pictures of them prancing around but so far I haven't gotten them at exactly when I want to take the picture - I got this new camera that has been fun to play with.  Checked the forecast and we have isolated TS in the area - no wonder it felt like the calm before the storm...hmmmm

Now though have to start saving my pennies for a new refrigerator - the freezer section went on ours - first the ice maker went and then yesterday I pulled the dish out that I have been keeping ice in and the ice was melting - so moved all the stuff to the big freezer... hoping that the bottom part holds till the 1st - not too far away - if it seems as though it won't we will put the stuff in Jay's beer fridge... But now the fun of shopping for a new refrigerator - all the things I didn't get with my first one - just have a basic one and they have so many new things to check out... Any ideas?? Any things you have tried that don't work?  Give me some ideas...teehee

Well, I am up and about to start my day - see what I can get cleaned around this house that I have been overlooking - spending too much time at the LQS but that has been so much fun - I have gotten motivated!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 6:42 PM

what a week it has been already.  I was very depressed since my latest RA doctor stopped taking my insurance - have gone the gamet of feelings... I had been told that they would find me a new one and that all my meds would be able to be prescribed until the new doctor took over... then I went in to ask for a prescription for my enbrel as it was running out and was told the doctor couldn't write it as it is a biologic - so that made me feel worse... so today I go to the base to get my other prescriptions filled - talk to her about all the stress I felt I was under and how my heart doctor didn't want me under any stress... I came home with a bag full of meds... they now have me on a anti-depressant to get me over the hump and I found out today that the doctor can write me the enbrel - so why they told me that I have no idea - but it was infuriating... my mouth is full of canker sores - that too from stress - so they gave me some magic mouthwash - used it once - probably the only time I will use it - numbed my whole mouth - so funny - felt like my tongue was huge...lol...

I am still volunteering at the quilt shop and loving it - we are doing 2 BOM quilts  making up the samples and making the kits for those who want them - we have sold 3 kits for the christmas quilt so far - the halloween one we ordered the patterns and the background fabric.  that has been fun!  I finished 2 wall hangings - going to send them to the kids and finished up the quilt from the cover of the January F&P love of quilting magazine - have to find some backing for it and finish it up...

and the greatest news today - UPS - came by the house and brought my Pfaff 2170 home - she is all fixed... I haven't turned her on yet - was exhausted this evening and taking a nap when the knock came - but it is an exciting day!  If anyone ever needs their Pfaff worked on I recommend Rob - he did wonders with mine - where others turned their backs he took the challenge and found the answers.  

So although I am down I am not out yet!  Hope all had a great 4th - I am looking forward to next year's to have a great one then.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:51 PM

Thea glad to hear you got your meds fixed up. My son has the same problems with  the VA here though not as bad as it was in Indy. I'm thrilled to hear you got your baby back and fixed ,that is so awesome. I'm doing pretty good , not had to bad a time with my legs lately, but that to comes and goes , by end of day though they are done in, and I need the good pain meds..My gal that was staying here  Novie has decided she is really homesick and wants to go back to Indy so her Dad is coming to get her this weekend ,I'm sad to see her go but I can also understand why, I hope she will be okay, she is missing all her friends and family so I told her dad if she ever wants to go back  we would get her there. I'm glad hes coming to get her  I don't know if I could stand a 9 hour ride in a car right now..I will miss her she has been a joy to have around ...Well our retreat is getting closer all the time . I guess I need to get in gear and start doing some serious getting ready ,I know that sounds weird but just making sure I have all the in's and outs covered. As far as I can tel there will be about 18 of us, have you heard anything from your possible friend as to weather she is coming or not.?  I'm  gonna go now I'm beat .hope your days stay good ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:02 AM

Thea,

I'm really sorry you've been under so much stress but happy that you're working through it. I get really itchy when my stress level goes up.

VERY excited to hear you got your 2170 back in good working order, kudos to Rob. I got mine back but it still gives the errors and won't drop the presser foot automatically. DH is using it to make a quilt for his sister so I'll wait 'til he's done before I seek further "treatment".

I worked on the 4th but I spent the day before with friends and watched fireworks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:49 PM

Barbara - I am sorry your little friend is leaving - they are fun to have around and i really look forward to the day my Grand Daughter Echo comes to visit me - I really look forward to it.  I am glad to hear your legs are doing better - I have had such a rough time this past year - i told the doctor yesterday that I would probably not be needing anti depressants at all if they had left me alone - but was glad that they did find me an RA and got that all straightened out even though now I am in a fix again with finding a new one.  It is nice to know that they will keep up with the meds... it is horrific though getting different answers almost each time I go there though...aggravating as it really messes with my stress levels.

Kris - I am very excited that the 2170 is back and wish that yours was working as well as mine.  Rob worked so hard on her - he is just an awesome person.  I can not believe that he fixed her.  The tech here wouldn't even try - and it is my thought that the tech here is the one in the first place that caused the problems... but that is another story.

I am so thrilled that the Ladies at the Quilt shop do not mind my coming out and spending a lot of time with them.  They tell me they love having me... We are doing a really neat Christmas Quilt - making it into a BOM - we were making the quilt and 3 kits - well we have sold all 3 kits already - We are on the home stretch - we have all the pieces made and now it is a matter of doing the buttonhole stitch on the last applique blocks and then squaring up and sewing the blocks together - it has been so much fun working with Gretchen on it.

We then have a Halloween Quilt to make - we are doing the same thing with it - making kits - we already have 1 of those sold and we just started advertising it today... It took 168 1/2 square triangles and they are done - we ordered some white material that glows in the dark for the skeleton and the ghost appliques... so much fun!

Then Liz has ordered a Christmas embroidery quilt pattern for me - the A-Zssss of Christmas a pattern from Cranberry Hill Designs - I saw it at the quilt show and thought it was so cute - so I'll be making it when the pattern comes in.  

I am so motivated working with them - they have truly been a life saver as I had gotten very depressed and didn't want to leave my house.  I am also hoping that the anti depressant works and that I don't need it for a long term time...

Jay has quit drinking so that will help me a lot - he reached the decision on his own so am hopeful that he can continue - alcoholism is a horrendous disease and hard to deal with ... a never ending battle - but we will make it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 6:07 PM

my 2170 is working like she was brand new - tomorrow I am going to hook  the embroidery unit and check that out... can't wait... 

I have made 3 quilts for the shop this weekend - what a fun time that was Calico Carriage patterns - easy peasy quilts that look really hard - lots of half square triangles...

Been sick - horribly constipated - going on 3 weeks now - I started an anti-depressant and am wondering if it is the cause - hadn't thought about that till today so going to look it up and see if that is one of the side effects... no appetite is the other symptom - but that could be a good thing - maybe I will lose some more weight...teehee

mood is better though...so that is a good thing.

Jay still is on the wagon - 2 weeks - so that is great too.

Hope everyone is cooler then we are here in Oklahoma - 40+ days of over 105 now... most days have been around 110 in the shade - good thing we are on a well we can water the trees and plants - and hoping the well doesn't go dry.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 12:27 AM

Thea, good to hear form you ,glad to hear your machine is working well. Also glad to hear your meds are helping , take a stool softener  that will help a lot and those you can get over the counter. If you take two a day that should help you a lot. I'm to take an antidepressant  and they are good for causing those problems.

Nice to hear Jay is doing well . I have been  thru that same problem 3 times with spouses, My last two both passed away I only divorced my first one, esp when he started getting abusive ,I fought back ,not one to take it. I hope he continues to do well.

Been working on my blocks for the retreat, it keeps getting closer and closer every day. I have just a little over half of mine done. It looks like we are going to have around 19 people attending . I hope they all show up ,but if not we will do great with those of us that do ..

The weather here has been awful . just about the same as you are facing , maybe just a few degrees cooler but not much.  We don't go outside much right now  other then the store even Angel doesn't want to go out . and at night it still in the 80's so can't even count on that to cool us off. the electric bill has been awful ,but I don't care , have to stay cool .I  have to be careful with all the meds I'm on about going out  so many of them are photo-sensitive,and I burn terrible. Well stay as cool as you can and chat at ya later..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:20 AM

Thea,

it's good to hear that Jay is doing well but not so good that you're having trouble. Maybe your doctor could try a different medication if this one binds you up. It's such a pain dealing with side effects.

Good news about your 2170. I may have to break down and send my away for help. DH still uses it so when he gets done I'll see about that.

The weather here has been warm but it's about to get HOT. DH can't stand the heat and while some days are a bit uncomfortable I'm not complaining. My body feels better (less aches) and so does my mind. I still have a low blood count so we're still looking for a cause.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 24 2011 7:50 AM

Kris - I hope the blood count rises to normal for you soon and that they find out the reason.  I have finally started feeling a little better - amazingly we think this last bout was a virus of some sort as DH was sick with the same symptoms - he got better about 4 days before I did - I am not saying all is well yet as everytime I do that something else crops its ugly head.

I am really tired of the heat here though - it has been over 100 for over 40 days now and they are saying it might stay this way until September - not sure people can handle this - our big heat pump has been out so we have been feeling it - I have a couple window a/c units but they can't keep the whole house cool - we bought the new compressor and now just have to get it in.  Seems like it never rains but pours - so many things to deal with this year.  

I am working on 2 quilts for Liz - the owner of the shop that I volunteer at - and set up to teach 2 classes there.  So much fun!  Keeping me very busy - hardly any time to clean my house so that is what I spent this weekend doing... we are also putting in new flooring - taking out all the carpeting - Jay is doing that but with the heat it is slow going - plus they still have them working 10 shifts 6 days a week - well the last 2 Saturdays they have let them off at 2 which is 2 hours early but they are not supposed to get used to that - his boss is one of those who is never satisfied - so many guys have quit that have worked there for years - you think this man would wake up - Jay is going to start looking for a new job once we are back from the cruise in November.  he actually wants to try and stay till January so he can get his vacation days as they screwed all the guys on that this year - gave them 4 days instead of the 3 weeks they should have had...

If it isn't one thing it is another.

I am trying to stay positive and the anti-depressant has helped with that... or maybe I just got over the hump - not sure but I am smiling again.  I see the new RA first week in September so we shall see what he has to say.  thinking good thoughts.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 30 2011 8:47 AM

Thea , I have a guestion for you .Are you gonna post anymore of the blocks ? we are down to the last two listed and I have them finished already, I know you have been real busy ,I do these in the evening while I watch TV,and as of now I don't know what to work on next.

Also , how are you doing on your leaf blocks for the retreat. We are getting close to our big  todo. All the beds are taken with one open for your guest if she comes. Just wanted to let you know . go back and read the thread okay.. Everyone is getting very excited about it.Elaine and I are riding together to the retreat so we can share cost of fuel.. Gee it getting expensive to even drive any where..  

I hope you have been getiing thru this heat wave  with out to much problem. It has been miserable here.  No relief when its dark either. My electric bills are gonna be awful..

Take care and talk at you later on ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:35 AM

Barbara, Hello!  I sent you a message - not sure if you got it - but I am coming to the retreat and I do have a guest coming with me - not the one we had first hoped for but another wonderful woman will be accompanying me.  I do not yet have any leaf blocks done and am not sure if I will get them done - I am volunteering at Liz's quilt shop and it seems between that and doing work for Jodie that I don't have a moment extra in my life to make leaf blocks.  So I am not sure if I will be participating in the block exchange.  Do I have to?  

The Dear Jane blocks are assigned each week on the site.  I have added to the Page in Pages if that is what you are referring to.  I am pretty sure I did that before you posted your question as it went through Aug.  It now goes further then that.  I hope that is what you needed.  

the heat here is almost unbearable - we have now to deal with these weird thunderstorms - they have these really high winds with them - almost tornadic but the winds are straightline instead of circular - doing lots of damage - quite a few of my friends have been without electricity during this time and that is difficult when temperatures are still well over 100.  

I am having my normal ups and downs... my RA was doing pretty good till the storms arrived and it kicked into high gear again... very aggravating... but I am keeping very busy as I said.  I am making quilts and trying to keep up with my house - feed my DH - and working for Jodie.  I think I need to RETIRE again...teehee... I am truly looking forward to meeting everyone at the retreat  - having fun - the only place I want to visit while there is the Fons and Porter store - the rest of the time I hope to just spend with you ladies talking and sewing... that is what I call fun fun fun!

Quilty hugz,

Thea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,328
Points 241,717
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 13 2011 9:44 AM

Kris, how is your health doing - I only read the posts here and think I may have missed something - hoping they have your blood under control.  

I do think that you should send your 2170 to Robb - he is a miracle worker and it was well worth the time and money to send mine to him.  I hope someday to see him in person again and give him a big hug.  I am also trying to think of something else to make for him to show my appreciation.  

I hope that the hot weather that was here did not make it to Maine.  We have been way too hot here - it is almost scary how hot it has been - i thought maybe we would get a break when the rains started but nope they just caused more trouble.  Now my Mom tells me there are vampire bats headed up from S. America - coming for the heat...

I am really looking forward to the Retreat and wish you were coming - I was worried about driving up by myself but now my friend who owns the quilt shop is coming with me - she will fit in fantastically.  you would love her.  I do... she is my enabler - i get to work on beautiful quilts and try new things... she should be ashamed for enabling me the way she does.  Jay says he has never seen me this happy in years... 

With Jay quitting drinking and working at the quilt shop and working for Jodie - I have a very full life!  now if my health would just miraculously be fantastic with no pain and I would think I was in heaven... Do you think when quilters go to heaven that we get the best sewing machines and stashes that are the envy of all around us but that they have a fantastic stash too - our knowledge of how to do it increases and we just have the time of our lives... I think I'll write a book about the Quilter who went to Heaven...lol

Take care of yourself and drop me a line!

Page 13 of 16 (231 items) «Prev1112131415Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use