General Chit Chat...

rated by 0 users
This post has 230 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Tue, May 24 2011 10:00 AM

Barbara - I could not believe Joplin - reminded me of when I went through Hurricane Hugo and I bet those folks who went through Hurrican Patrick and Katrina can empathize... but this was a tornado so far inland.  they had a scientist explaining last night why it was like a Hurricane - unbelievable... hard very hard to look at.  The sirens went off in our town yesterday but no tornadoes got close to us that I know of.  

You really need to stay safe during one and do get some supplies down in that root cellar - we have a storm cellar here but so far in the 14 years we have been here we have not used it... I was in a trailor watching for Hugo... amazing... completely gives me goose bumps when I think about that time...

From what I was told years ago - about 3 or 4 - back then they could have kept me on Enbrel - one of the base doctors could have prescribed it but by that time they had sent me to that other RA doctor and he said i didn't have RA so they felt they didn't have the ability to do it... so now that I have that diagnosis again I am hoping that they decide to allow me till they get another doctor in OKC for me to see or allow me to continue with Dr K.  It is frustrating but I am trying to stay calm - stress does me no good whatsoever.

Kris and Barbara - I use a Thera Bead heating pad - it is a wet heat - when I used to go to PT they would wrap me up in these pads and I always felt so good - they didn't sell them to the public though - now they do - it is awesome - that wet heat gets in there so fast and helps me - you should look into one.

I got a lot accomplished yesterday - just kept pushing myself forward... got 3 bags of twigs and branches and leaves picked up from the front yard and got my internet fixed... got the house spruced up - today is vacuuming day - lots of that to do - also yesterday got 2 quilts basted - they are ready for quiting - one is for Jay for Father's Day and one to send to my Grandson is an alphabet quilt... With the Janome I don't quite dread machine quilting as much as I did...lol

I am learning though...

It is overcast and muggy here today - the sun is shining at the moment but the skies look dreadful - so imagine storms are in the area... I am not moving about much yet... need to get up and move...

Have a great quilty day!!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:11 PM

Thea,

my heating pad is in a cloth pouch and comes with an insert that can be wet. I love the moist heat. I use it everywhere that I ache.

We hit 80 degrees this afternoon but the temp is dropping quickly and we're now expecting thunder storms. We did see the sun this AM so I'm happy.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, May 25 2011 7:05 AM

Thea ,I sure hope you made it thru all the storms intack..We had some really strong storms go thru but thank goodness we missed all the tornadoes,they were mostly to the south of me...I feel so bad for all those people who lost everything and some their loved ones..I also saw  that OK got hit pretty hard last evening...this has been just the strangest year for weather, we are gonna get more rain today but they are saying it is not gonna be severe..just alot of rain..good day to spend working on a quilt . I have been trying to get my butterfly fabric pieced and have about six blocks  finished ,may go ahead and work on that today..We all cleaned house earlier this week so dont' need to do that...lol  The weather has been kinda hard on my legs , thank goodness for pain meds...and heating pads. I have also been trying to wear my compression stockings ,but they get so darn hot ...I have been doing alot of hand stitching lately and my fingers are kinda sore ,so I think i'm gonna lay off that today and use they machine.....Take care of yourself....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Thu, May 26 2011 6:10 PM

we watched the TV all night Tues and then again Wed... it was horrific - the one that hit the dam hit about 40 miles west of us - the ones to the south were quite a ways away - at least 60 miles and going away from us - I kept hearing thunder and seeing lightning for hours but hardly any rain...we kept watching though and hoping it would ease up soon.  I do feel horrible for all those people who were in the tornadoes path - having been there I know what they are going through - it is absolutely no fun.  brings back many bad memories...

I am sorry about your hands - I posted on another thread about the exercises Kris posted - I do all of those each and every day  I do something else though which I also posted over there... I have started leaving my dishes till the morning and when I can finally able to move around in the morning I wash them and the hot water just eases the pain quite a bit and makes them easier to use... sometimes I wish I could just soak them during the day and sometimes I do...lol

I do not wear the compression socks yet - so far I just put on regular socks and get the support I need from them - I do have to wear socks most of the time though - and sometimes when I am sleeping I leave them on if my legs are aching pretty good.

Temps here were beautiful today - mid 70s - just warm enough!

Great quilting weather but I haven't sewn a thing for a couple days.  I did get a box of material today though - had an email from a store that is a discount quilt fabric store - prices were awesome so bought some 5 yard cuts for quilt backings and then some other cuts to make Echo(my grand daughter) some cute sun dresses for this summer... need to get at that sewing machine - but no motivation for the last few days... 

I did have some horrendous canker sores in my mouth - I made this chocolate cake.  the mix was from a company I never used before - oh it was delicious but i think they must have put some citrus in the mix because after i ate it the canker sores came - I put it away and tried again today because it is really yummy and the sores came back - so guess it is a cake mix I will be unable to use in the future... but it was yummy!!!

If I forget tomorrow -  hope everyone has a Happy Memorial weekend!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Thu, May 26 2011 6:14 PM

Thea, so glad you are safe, I was thinking of you when they kept saying Enid, Ok

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, May 26 2011 11:00 PM

Thea, so glad to hear your safe, and didn't get hit with these awful storms. yesterday  i was awaken by my dog Angel ,the tornado alarms were going off , got the kids up real quick and we headed down into the root cellar.spent about a hour down there ,Luckily it all went to the North of us....unfortunately I hit my head on a large bolt hanging down from the furnace and scraped my head .so now it it sore as can be. I cleaned it up and I'm putting antibiotic onitment on it, but it is still very sore today... today the weather was beautiful and just in the mid 60's so it was a great day... be nice if it would stay this way for a few ...  Well gonna go try and catch up more later ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Fri, May 27 2011 12:10 PM

Barbara and Leslie - thank you for thinking of me.

Barbara - glad that it passed north of you but sad you have a bump on your head.

I have been busy working on the group pages tags today - if any of you see a block that hasn't been tagged - I am meaning the assignment block letter, number and name - I am trying to get them all tagged so that I don't inadvertently assign the same block twice.  I have several pages at home that I mark off the blocks assigned but found that I had missed one - so am trying really hard not to assign the same block twice - so if you see a discussion page that does not have a tag of both letter number and name please tag it for me.

We are progressing quite well - this week we have 78 blocks assigned i think I have about half of those done - so need to kick myself you know where and get myself motivated to catch up - was doing so well for a little while then got side tracked with a couple quilts ... lol... but am feeling better emotionally if not physically so will kick my you know what and get myself in gear.  I haven't sewn in about 5 days at the moment - I did sandwich and spray baste 2 quilts so hopefully I might feel up to sewing on them today - and I'll get my pattern book down for DJ and pull out some of the patterns that I am behind in and get them at least cut out and put in baggies for easier access to when I feel in the mood.

These last few days with the weather moving in have been horrendous on my arthritis and some days my hands have just ached so much I just want to immerse them into some sort of heating liquid to make the pain go away... washing dishes - well you can only wash so many...lol...

I did get some gardening done yesterday  - I repotted my 4 new lilac bushes - they are growing leaps and bounds and if they keep going this way this fall they may go into the ground - I had thought I might need to keep them in pots for at least a year but they are doing great.  I, also, bought the cutest lavendar tree - it is so cute - it, however, will never be able to go into the ground - it will not survive below 30 degree temps so I will just keep putting it in bigger pots... it isn't supposed to get that big but sure smells awesome - can't wait till it is big enough to cut off enough to make some sachet pouches... just like Grandma had in her drawers... 

Well, that is about it for today.  Have taken my pain meds about 20 minutes ago - I try to wait till noon each day to see if maybe I can get through an afternoon without them but so far that has been a no go - but I am pushing myself longer and longer - I know I will never again be without them but learning to handle the higher pain levels is something I want to do... when you get so you can't concentrate on anything else though it is time to just say WHY am I doing this to myself...lol

So have a great quilty day all of you!  I am looking forward to seeing this week;s blocks... we are getting close to half way - exciting isn't it...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Fri, May 27 2011 1:53 PM

thea, it's so good to hear you weathered the storms ok,   i'm sorry  that the weather makes your bady ache so much.   it's good to hear from you   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 3 2011 11:42 AM

It's been one of those weeks.  I am coming down with my spring bronchitis.  Every year.  This year i thought maybe I had escaped but no such luck - the sore throat started - why is it always first... then the sinus and now the cough - picked up my package of menthol metho lyptus halls lozengers - it will run its course and we shall go on.  Talked to the base today and they will be sending me to Tulsa to a new doctor to see if this doctor can help with the RA - it is a new group of doctors in the military family.  I just want them to continue the enbrel and I will go on from there - but we do what we have to do.

I finished quilting Reese's ABC quilt - got the binding done - then finished quilting Jay's deer quilt and have the binding almost done with it.  I have the next one in line on the curtain rob ready to go and hopefully will start it within the next day or two.  

Do you remember a few years back - about 5 or 6 when they had all these cute little panels for soft books.  Well, I found a group of them - I had them to do up in Thea Jirak's 4 on the floor quilt pattern and think i will whip them up and send to my grandkids - 3 of the ones i have are about Christmas and one is Dora - the other is a panel book on the Presidents.  so cute... Use up some of that growing stash on them - I cut them in pieces yesterday and today will go into my sewing room and find fabrics to match.  Then I have a couple panels that I bought over the years that I want to get made up in to some other simple quilts.  I did buy the new Pound Hound panel and coordinating fabrics and am going to do it up similar to my Caterwauling quilt.  Caterwauling is so bright - this will be the subdued version - I got the brown colorwave not the bright primary color one.  So cute though...

I am hurting pretty good today - on a scale of 1-10 I think I am steadying at 10... hopefully like every day that by about 2 o'clock I will be able to get up and move around.  I did get up first thing and go to the base and that was difficult but you do what you must do.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 11:14 PM

Thea,

I hope the bronchitis is over with quickly.

Hope you have a better week pain wise.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 10:03 AM

Kris - Oh would that not have been great to have a better week pain wise... lol  I told you about getting the exercise program and trying it out - well I did - did only a little on friday and saturday - well Sunday came and I could not get out of bed - these exercises would not have bothered a normal person - and I am not sure if they were the problem - but it hurt all over my body - I remember this hurting back when I first started getting ill - I used to do 30 minutes of aerobics morning and night back then - and we thought I just had a bad case of the flu but it kept hurting so over time I had to stop exercising to save myself... I am not giving up though - I am going to continue - very slowly - and I thought I was going slow - guess I need to be a tortoise slow...lol

I am not going to start in until next Monday though - this weekend is the shop hop and although I am not going to all the shops i am going to help out at the shop that I helped make the quilt for.  So I don't want to wake up aching all over and not being able to assist... that would not work at all.  

this is the quilt I assisted in making - I think it is real pretty but then I am very biased in my decision.  LOL...

I am going to go out to the shop and just assist them - sitting most of the time - I think I should be able to do that - stamp passports and things like that.  

I am still suffering the effects of bronchitis - but it is in the tail end so have to be careful there...not overdo anything and let it get it hands back on me.

So am asking all my quilty buddies here on QCA to say an extra prayer for me - I will push myself and just need a little extra so that I will make it through the shop hop - I know I can always just stay home but that would not be any fun!  

Happy quilting to all!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 9:49 PM

Thea ,sorry to hear you have been feeling bad , and I'll say that little prayer for you ...I hope you have some fun with the shop hop ,I did with mine . I posted some pictures on  the  did you work on a quilt today and the what do today threads. I love the quilt  very pretty... I've been keeping busy working on some new stuff  trying to stay busy ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Thu, Jun 9 2011 10:14 PM

Barbara, I think 80% of the extra pain was because I tried to do that exercise program - guess I am going to have to take it very very slowly but I am not going to give up - I have actually been pushing myself fairly hard for the last few days.  I am volunteering out at the Ringwood shop for the Shop Hop - having fun talking to all the quilters coming through - in slow periods have been finishing up some bindings - finished 2 today - tomorrow I am going to take some of the DJ blocks out with me and sew on them... feels good to be accomplishing something.  My pain levels are fairly high but thank goodness for pain meds - they are keeping me grounded.  I am happy though Jay has been making dinner the last couple nights - although he did try to chop off his finger with the new meat tenderizer i bought - got told he is not to touch it...lol

Keep saying those extra prayers for me through Saturday - they are working.  I am not sure I will make it but am going to try very hard to make it there...lol... 

I am finishing up my Buck a Block too - got the finishing kit yesterday and hope to finish the top by the mid part of next week... so much to do... have to keep moving forward.

I saw the new fabric called Grinchmas and had to buy it - Brandon loved the Grinch as a child - so bought it and will be designing a quilt for him... it is so cute - love the Who's from whoville so cute.

Well letting you know I am doing okay!  Not great but okay!  one foot in front of the other!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,757
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 7:03 PM

I am home - I made it through - the shop hop for 2011 in northern Oklahoma is now over.  I have my feet up - may go soak in the tub later... but I did it and it makes me feel so triumphant that I made it through!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 1:20 AM

Thea. so glad to hear you made it thru the shop hop, Did you get anything while there ? I spent Friday having a girls day out with a friend of mine, she like to hit all the thrift stores in our area . I found a really nice big area rug for my bedroom one of those that looks oriental  and it was in really excellent condition.and several pillow covers for my pillows in the front room .but the jackpot was some really old Quilters newsletter magazines.I only purchased about 8 of them but two were from the eighties and the rest from the early nineties. they were so much fun to sit and look thru when i got back  home. the bad part is now my feet and legs are killing me. Tired to keep them up some today and kept my compression hose on all day ..they feel a little better now . Don's son is coming up this next week to pick up some of his things that he wanted his boy to have ..Not really looking forward to this but will be glad when its over .He is buying the truck from me and there is a small dirt bike for his grandson and a small trailer hes taking .plus things that  Don wanted him to have ...It 's really to bad  that he could not get here when Don was alive ,but that's another story and one I do understand as did Don... Well Thea take care of your self and get some rest and I'll talk at you later on ...Barbara  

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 12 of 16 (231 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use