rated by 0 users
This post has 362 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Mon, May 2 2011 4:04 PM

Barbara,

they're not too bad with good instructions but it sounds like Thea had some trouble with the way this one was written. She normally does a lot of McKenna Ryan's patterns and they're well written. I have one but haven't started it yet.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Tue, May 3 2011 3:52 AM

Kris , there just seems like a lot of detail and applique . Just don't feel I'm ready to try that yet...Maybe next year ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Tue, May 3 2011 1:34 PM

McKenna Ryan is awesome in her instructions and her pattern pieces - you get each of the pattern pieces separately and you get an overall picture to put up to a light for your placing - on the Cat Acatemy quilt - you just get an overall picture of the block - and some of the pieces you have to guess at how they would go under or over another piece.  Then putting the blocks together - it was difficult figuring out what exactly the measurements were... I did make one mistake but was able to correct it without too much trouble - then if I had been paying attention I would have changed part of the quilt and do it differently.  It was too late when i saw it though - and it does look fine the way she did it.  

I do most of my quilting with a needle turn look - which is not McKenna Ryan quilts - if you try to do hers needle turn or the needle turn look - then you are in for some really tiny piecing - her patterns are much better done with raw edge applique' - I do satin stitch all the pieces on her quilts - some people use a simple zigzag but I like satin stitching them.  

On Cat Acatemy I am doing the needle turn look - using the washaway applique' sheets that Beth Ferrier developed with C&T publishing - they make it so much simpler and the material washes away in the first washing and leaves no added stabilizer within the quilt for time and eternity... nor do you have to open up the back and take out freezer paper... It is stiff enough that when you stitch it down you do not usually have to use any stabilizer on the back to keep the block square which is a plus... 

I am doing the mice border right now on my quilt - had to stop for a few days as I have been painting the walk in pantry and then tore out the carpet in my living room so have been using my little steam cleaner to clean the wood floor - there were a lot of stains on the hard wood but my little steamer is pulling them all out - whomever owned our house before had sanded down the floor - looks like they were going to refinish it but decided not to sand the edges and put down carpet - so there was no protection on the floor - so it was stained from things dropping on the carpet - but the little steamer is getting them out - it is tedious work but the rewards are great when you see this beautiful wood... It will take months to get the edges sanded though as Jay is just too tired on a daily basis from work so will only be working on it on the Sundays when he has a little energy - i am going to try but my hands - elbows and shoulders do not care for this work and it has made doing any sewing almost impossible - I keep thinking maybe it is because I am using different muscles but the ache increases each day instead of going down like you would think it would do... I refuse, however, to let this disease get the better of me...

Jay ordered me the other day not to paint - so I stopped for 3 days - I did the last that I could do in the room yesterday - it is looking so sweet - so sunny - a light but bright yellow - the rest Jay has to do because it entails moving the big fish tank - you know one of those 100 gallon ones - it has been empty for years but is still very heavy - once we get the room done he is going to turn it into a salt water tank - it will all look fantastic once it is done.  the closet is already making my life easier - no getting down on the floor to dig in the cupboard for a can of tuna - love it!  

I am still slowly working on my sewing room - it is getting there - I have so much fabric - I don't need to buy fabric for at least 10 years - but you know I will - lol - but I don't have to and that is an awesome feeling - I did get some neat fabric on my trip back from MN... you probably have seen it - remember my Caterwauling quilt - well the lady who designed that panel designed a new one - dog hound or something like that - I picked it up and the coordinating fabrics at that shop - I am going to now make a dog quilt utilizing the same design concept that I used for Caterwauling - this one will be mild in comparison though because instead of bright colors it is all beige and browns... I can't wait to start it - but we have a few in line ahead of it...

Hope all are having a nice spring day!  the sun is shining here in Oklahoma - I know it is raining in a lot of the country but sunshine is on its way... I had a couple dreary weeks here and now have beautiful sunshine - and I am loving it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Wed, May 4 2011 6:26 AM

Thea ,sounds liek you've been busy to .I went out Sunday and purchased a carpet cleaner for my carpets ,Sunday I cleaned the carpet in the kitchen .It came out pretty good for my first attemp.I'm going to try and do one room each week .there are only 4 rooms in my house that have carpet so I hope to have it done by end of month.

This weekend there is a quilt show in KC,Kansas I think I'm gonna try and go visit ,One of the shop owners that I visit is working the show , If they let me take pictures  I 'll post them to share...We are suppose to have a great sunny day here also so we hope to get all the storage stuff moved out of the room thath is to be my bedroom .its downstairs . My bedframe arrived Monday and the mattress is suppose to be here Thrusday . If the 3 of us work together we can have this all done in a couple of hours ,I hope  lol   

Well gotta go for now. hope you have a great day.yourself   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Wed, May 4 2011 10:48 PM

Barbara - wehn I write it down it does seem like I have done a lot - but then i look at all the time I have been sitting in my chair and I feel like I have been lazy...lol  Today I was up at 5:30 when Jay got up - I fed the cats and came into my living den room - it is so cozy at the moment the way I have it set up - the floor is getting there - I did a small space today with the white vinegar and the steam cleaner - another small stain gone - gone for all eternity - hopefully never to return...lol... I then got up and was going to try and read a book on Isaiah and just couldn't hold the book and get the jist of it - he had a CD in the back of the book - so got out my little player and listened to it while I did some painting - I have the 1st coat on the top shelves and the 2nd coat on one of the walls that was left needing a 2nd coat and I did a 3rd coat on the shelving underneath the fish tank - it was a dark treated wood that was just drinking in the paint - finally that area is done... the CD finished as I finished that last top shelf - so getting closer to being done... 

I then went in and sat in my chair again - I was very tired and hurting pretty good - I stayed awake till Jay got home and decided enough was enough and went in and laid down - about 4 hours later I woke up - have the lidocaine patches on my legs and they finally quit aching... decided to use them instead of the Lortab to hit right at the point that was hurting the worst... so going to just watch some tv and go to bed... sleep is calling me again... need energy!!!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Fri, May 13 2011 2:11 PM

Well, I am sorry to all that I have not been here much - i am truly going to try and do better - it has been a rough week.  I found out Tuesday that once again I am going to be without an RA doctor - and am not sure yet what that entails - I will find out when I try to get my medications refilled I guess.  The base is supposed to get back to me but so far i haven't heard anything which probably means they have no news yet.  My doctor is leaving the practice he is with and going to another one - and they do not take my insurance.  So although I am trying to be adult about it all - it has sent me into a tail spin of emotions - i just do not want to go back to feeling the way I did for 3 years - having to schedule everything I wanted to do and no rainbow in sight... I need to be optimistic though - but that is hard.

I am almost done with my Cat Acatemy quilt - I didn't work on it or anything else for about a week - just sat here and watched it rain / sunshine - overcast weather... you know just vegged - doing just enough to get by... poor Jay - but last night I got Cat Acatemy down and put the borders on it - sewed all the little mice down and then decided it needed one more border - so looked through my fabrics and found a fabric that made it work... Now I have to get some little black beads and sew them on for the eyes of the mice and figure out how to make the whiskers for the different cats... I am getting there...

We almost have the walk in pantry done - the painting is finished and Jay is laying the floor - hopefully it will be all done by Sunday... I am going to a TOFW event in OKC this evening and tomorrow - hoping to have lifted spirits when I come home.

Keep up the great work all of you are doing!!! Go DJers.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Fri, May 13 2011 3:09 PM

Thea,

sorry you haven't been well. Losing your doctor is definitely not a good thing. Starting over with someone new really bites the big one.

I'm glad you're doing things to keep busy though. Have fun in OKC.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Fri, May 20 2011 3:06 PM

Hello all - posted the blocks for next week.  Hope you all do very well with them.  I had a very inspirational weekend in OKC.  I would like to recommend that anyone who has a chance to go to a Time Out for Women event go to it.  It was wonderful to listen to the stories - the fantastic music.  It lifted up my spirits so much - I needed it so much - hard to explain how I am really feeling... 

I am existing right now.  Kris - I don't get to start over with a new doctor - it is the same thing that happened 3 years ago - there is not a doctor here who takes my insurance - so no doctor for me - I know I can deal with this - I did for 3 years - but it just is so dang hard - to think that I was on the brink of doing okay again - nope never will be great - but with the medication at least I had the chance to do okay and not to have to schedule my every move to make sure that I could do anything - but I know it will be better and that this is just the low point... can't go much lower - but I have survived before so I know I will survive again - at least this time I can tell the base doctors that we have been here before and that now I do have the diagnosis again and I don't have to find a doctor to prove that again... I just have to figure out what the next step is... i won't know until they figure it out and that won't be for another month -

I am trying hard not to think the worst... that is my dilemma right now - thinking that the worst possible scenario is where I am - and I am working through it... 

I have been sewing a little bit though - didn't sew for days - read some books - tried to lift myself up out of these dark places - cleaned my house - am scheduling my days so that I make sure I eat and do all the things I need to do - lol - it is tough but I will make it through to the other side.

I do truly wish though that these doctor would realize what they are doing to people when they do this - what the insurance companies are doing.  It is difficult - and very difficult - even for someone as tough as I am.  

Jodie sent me a quilt kit that she did a sample block from and I am making it up - it was all cut and ready to go and I know if I left it laying around I would have lost some part of it and never figured out where I was... I will have the top done probably this weekend - then it will go in that pile of quilts to quilt...lol  

I am almost done with Cat Acatamy... I have the eyes on the mice border and I added another border as the quilt just didn't seem finished where she leaves it off... It seemed almost partially done... so it has a border on the outside - Jay thought with me that it needed something to bring your eyes back to the quilt center - so I picked a beautiful batik fabric that I had that brought all the colors to shining...  I do have to figure out how to do the whiskers though - still haven't got a real clue how I am going to do them... I may not have them done for a long time... something to figure out... Jay told me to use a sharpie and draw them on... it is one of the ideas going through my head.

Jay is done with my walk in pantry - except for nailing the trim down on the floor - he was almost done last night but something happened with the nails he was using and he decided to let it go till today and it will be done - so happy that something is done to completion - I love Jay's ideas but they never get to the end - kind of like all these quilts that I have that need quilting...lol

Oh well, I wish everyone a great Memorial Day weekend and will look shortly at your blocks.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Sat, May 21 2011 1:43 AM

Thea, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles with Doctors and insurances,,My son goes thru the same problems  with  VA and insurance ..it is very frustrating all the crap ,you vets have to go thru. Terrible...

I have good news  My disability went thru and I will start getting in next Month, that is a big load off my mine, I'm gonna try and finish my one day of work thru June and then I'm done. I have been having so much trouble lately with my Left hip and back cause that sciatic nerve gets all messed up with my poor posture and bad legs ,  had a terrible flare-up last week ,I was miserable Went to the chiropractor and I'm feeling better now...he can sure work wonder s ...

June 3&4 I'm going on a bus tour with one of LOSs to visit  other LQS 's in  Northern Missouri and southwestern Iowa. I think there a 8 shops on the tour. We are spending on night in hotel and back on road  should be home by 4 pm on Sat ,the 4th. This is my first bus trip so I'm kinda looking forward tot it ,,and meet some new  sisters... I 'll take lots of pictures...

I also wanted to let you know for our retreat we are doing a little block exchange of  8 in fall leaves and leaves you want . Just a little simple block  signed and  dated .we need 18 of them.. I also think I'm gonna go to the retreat next year out in the Southeast  in Tenn, .. I will be fun to meet all the eastern girls  and hear there cute accents.... okay best go ,I hope you stay well with the warmer weather and  can find yourself a doctor soon ,,,I'll keep saying a little prayer for ya...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Sun, May 22 2011 1:32 PM

Barbara - glad to hear your disability got approved!  That will definitely be a relief for you!  

it is a sunny day here in OK today!  I went to church and now am resting up watching some french open tennis.  A young american is playing - not bad!  I have to transplant some new lilac bushes I am growing... put in bigger pots - not quite big enough to be out on their own in the yard - I want to have a nice size bush to plant in the ground...

My neck is giving me fits lately - too much reading - the head looking down at a book - the neck doesn't like that - need to get some more books on CD so I can listen and sew.  I have a new one about CS Lewis that is interesting - one I will listen to a couple times so I understand it all.  

I watched Inception last night - interesting movie - guess I'll have to watch it a couple times to from  what I understand so that I can understand it.  Eating left over pizza for dinner today so no cooking and I think Jay is doing some of his spicy sausage - not my thing.

Take lots of pictures on your bus trip - they are doing a bus trip like that out of the Ponca City Quilt shop this fall - although I think it is a 3 day affair - not sure I could do that long on a bus - one day trips are a bit much for me...lol  but hope you have fun.

Let me know more about the block exchange if you could.... and I guess I should check out the retreat in TN too - that really isn't that far for me.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Mon, May 23 2011 9:19 AM

AT&T came today and fixed my internet connection - whoo hoo it is working well again... so thought I would share this with you - 

*** Adult Truths ***

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time..

24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

Ladies.....Quit Laughing.

It is much nicer to work on a computer when it works in a couple seconds rather then sitting here waiting and waiting for it to work... loving it that it is working again...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,686
Points 248,737
Thea replied on Mon, May 23 2011 9:29 AM

Yall(southern gal) can holler(again southern gal) at me - I was upset with my DH yesterday - not getting the yard work done - so you guessed it I went out and did some myself... Well with the storm moving in - my body was flaming up and I did something and whoo hoo - my back screamed at me - the left hip went out and I was limping around - but that will not hold this girl down... I put my thera bead heating pads on back and neck and got that moist heat in there... I went to bed and was doing great - till miss paisley decided to lay on my left arm - I was sleeping on my right side - well she woke me up and pain shot down my left arm and it hurt so bad... had to grit my teeth for about 5 minutes till it calmed down - finally fell back asleep - got up this morning early - the AT&T guys were coming and I had some outside work to do...

But you see Jay my DH thought he would foil me and not empty the wheel barrow - so instead of working in the back yard filling it with more downed branches and twigs I worked on the side yard - filled 3 black bags with a stack of twigs and branches Jay had just piled under the maple tree over there... broke them all up and the bigger branches have in a stack - all the small branches broken off them... Now to wait for the trash men to come today - I have the trash container full and when they empty it I will fill it while the truck is there with the next 3 black bags and then hopefully they will let me fill it with the branches...

I am a site though - limping - can't go up the steps - only 3 of them - I have to go up with the right foot and then bring the left up - then up the next step the same way... I will get it done though - with or without Jay's help - am tired of this messy yard... the front looks fairly good and getting better and i will get the back done...

I want to get this all done before they take my enbrel away again... as I know then I won't be able to do this no matter how much I want to - but if I get most of it all caught up in the next 2 months maybe they will have a new RA doctor for me or permission for me to see Dr K still... 

See it just took me a couple weeks to be optimistic again and to get rid of those rotten feelings - it will work - somehow someway...

And sewing - hmmm - so much to do there... I am going to take deer quilt and an ABC quilt that I made a couple years ago over to the church and sandwich baste them and start quilting them... plus I have the Christmas quilt to do... I am going to some how some way get all these quilts quilted - they may not be show quality yet with the quilting but I am learning and it takes tons of practice to machine quilt and I am definitely getting that - and when I get it then I will feel like maybe making a show quilt...teehee

Have a happy quilty day!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Mon, May 23 2011 8:51 PM

Thea,

yes I'm hollering at you but I know how it is. I end up doing the things I think my DH takes too long to get to then I pay for it.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time of it though. I really hope you get to keep seeing your doctor. It's really a shame that you can't get proper care. Just know that I keep praying for you.

It's been raining so much these past weeks that a heating pad is a must every night after work. It's too damp for this body of mine. I'm hoping to see the sun again some day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Mon, May 23 2011 11:31 PM

Thea and Kris , I can sure understand about the heating pad ..have one next to the bed and the sofa,,,if I didn't use them I couldn't walk  by the end of evening.. thea I think it's awful they are taking your  Emrall  away..  that's just not right , why take something away that works .Cost should not be a factor ,cause they are just gonna spend more money trying to find something else that works ..Red Tape  it sucks .... sorry got on my soap opera there .... Thea hope you  have been doing okay thru all these storms lately  we are suppose to have a bad day here on Tuesday, right now we are in moderate risk ,but news thinks they are gonna change it to high ,and all I have in this old house is a small root cellar,,but I told the kids we are gonna get some stuff down there early tomorrow just in case so we don't have to worry if the worst happens... Can you believe about those poor folks in Joplin,,, there was also another small town in Kansas that got hit Friday night real bad and pretty much wiped it out ..... So stay safe....Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Tue, May 24 2011 12:00 AM

Barbara,

you stay safe too. The devastation to this country this year alone has been staggering.

Page 11 of 25 (363 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use