Row D

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 532
Points 10,140
Pat A replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 7:14 AM | Locked

Jane, your blocks are beautiful.  Really like the fabrics you used.  Here is my D-6.  Easy Peasy

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 17,475
Patricia Faye replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 1:23 PM | Locked

Nice blocks ladies!  Enjoying seeing the different fabrics.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 3,110
Jane Shackelford replied on Mon, May 5 2014 11:05 AM | Locked

D-09

MoosebeShack

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 3,110
Jane Shackelford replied on Thu, May 15 2014 4:41 PM | Locked

D-03  JAS!!

MoosebeShack

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,005
Patricia4 replied on Fri, May 16 2014 5:02 PM | Locked

So nice Jane, beautiful job on all of your blocks!  You are amazing getting all of these done!  I'll bet it is really starting to look like it is coming together!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,005
Patricia4 replied on Thu, Jul 17 2014 7:11 PM | Locked

Here is my D-3 Jason's Jacks.  So -- the newbie here has just discovered Frixion pens.  Oh my goodness!  What a huge difference these make and how much easier for applique'!  And I was astounded to find out from a Frixion rep that they have not even tested their pens on fabric and have not included this usage or quilters in their marketing strategy.  Anyway - I find I'm not hating applique' any more!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 3,110
Jane Shackelford replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 3:47 PM | Locked

Patricia,  Your D-3 is very pretty and your appliqué is wonderful.  I have not heard of Frixion Pens,  what is it and where do you get them?  I do not like to do appliqué and do not feel I am good at it.  Am not ever really satisfied with my work.  You are making blocks quickly.  Keep up the good work.  It looks like you and I are the only two still working on DJ.  I have not posted anything in a long time but am making squares.  As I told you I finished the 113 by the end on June and have done six more this month.  (That is really behind, but will catch up one day, so I can finish the whole top by the end of the year.)  JAS

MoosebeShack

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,855
Brenda replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 4:05 PM | Locked

Patricia,

How do you use Frixion Pens when making Applique Blocks?

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,005
Patricia4 replied on Sun, Jul 20 2014 4:56 PM | Locked

Thank you Jane for your nice comments!  I'm glad you are making progress on your goal and would love to see photos if you want to post.  I find not much motivation to post when the group seems so inactive, but am trying to keep it going. 

I find that the applique' take me the longest.  Hopefully your applique' blocks aren't all piled up to the end, since you don't like working on those!  ; )  I machine applique'd at first, then started learning to needleturn, and didn't enjoy it very much.  Now I like working on them but I am not good yet at things like points - like you mentioned, I am also just not satisfied with my work, so I keep wanting to go back and fuss with them after they are "done".  The Frixion pens are helping a lot with my accuracy!

To Jane and Brenda -- the Frixion pens -- they are made by Pilot Pens.  They are available at any office supply place I've checked (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max), and even at Walmart and some quilt shops.  They come in both ballpoint and roller ball style.  The intent is that they are entirely erasable ink, when used on paper.  The eraser on them is not the typical rubber eraser like we have been used to in the past on pens and pencils.  It is sort of a soft plastic piece.  And apparently the ink is heat-sensitive, so that when rubbed with the "eraser", it creates friction, which creates heat, which makes the ink disappear.   

And now for the magic - just touch the heat-sensitive ink with a hot iron and the ink instantly disappears!  The reason I find them so helpful, at least to me, for applique' blocks, is that I just draw an outline on the block of where the piece needs to go, secure the piece with a drop or two of basting glue (like Roxanne's), and the outline helps me keep a more accurate stitching line while doing the needleturn, as well as keeping the piece(s) centered.  No pins, no pre-ironing the seam allowance under on the pieces.  For really accurate outlining, I hold the pattern under the fabric against a window (or if you have one, you can use a light box) and just trace the design right on the fabric.

One word of caution.  The ink is heat-sensitive enough to dissolve if left in a hot car.

Meanwhile, here is my D-5 Cathedral Window.  Not an applique'.  ; )   I've started sashing as I go.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 3,110
Jane Shackelford replied on Mon, Jul 21 2014 10:29 AM | Locked

Patricia,  You D-5 is so pretty.  Love the red and white, it really pops.  JAS

MoosebeShack

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 4,005
Patricia4 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2014 11:23 AM | Locked

Thank you Jane!  Sometimes the colors don't come over too well on the posting.  The sashing looks sort of brown here but really it is a deep burgundy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,300
MaryC replied on Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:04 PM | Locked

Hand pieced:

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,300
MaryC replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 5:48 PM | Locked

My latest block - I decided to do some 'fussy cutting' with this one.  :-)

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,102
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 5:53 PM | Locked

Pretty blocks Mary C. I like your fabrics.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 82
Points 1,300
MaryC replied on Wed, Oct 1 2014 6:00 PM | Locked

thanks!  I think i'm down to less than 20 more blocks needed for the size wall quilt that I need.  I'm getting excited!  :-)  I just hope all the blocks 'go together' OK - I haven't done any 'coordinating/planning' - just been picking fabrics I like for the blocks and 'going scrappy'!  :-)

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use