rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy Posted: Tue, Jan 7 2014 9:25 PM

Another fairly easy applique one. 

Here's a TUTORIAL with one method of doing applique. I do mine with freezer paper too but I iron it onto the right side of the fabric and then draw a pencil line around the freezer paper before I remove it. Then I have a guide line for turning my fabric under.

I cut my background a little bigger and trimmed it to 5" when I was done with the applique.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:36 AM

Awesome fussy cuts Jacy.

Needle turn appliqué:

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Pretty block, Jacy and Kris.  I'm very new to applique, so I'll probably try to do satin-stitch again.  It worked well for me on the bachelor buttons.  

Jacy, when I saw yours, I thought you had applique'd those umbrella girls on there!!  So yeah, nice fussy cuts.  :)

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 11:28 AM

Thanks Kris and Carolyn, the fussy cuts were fun to do.

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
I'm very new to applique, so I'll probably try to do satin-stitch again.

Carolyn, there's nothing wrong with machine applique, it's usually my first choice. I'm trying to do these with hand applique but I bet I will do some with the machine.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,104
Points 110,180

Jacy, your fussy cuts are wonderful. Hope you don't mind if I use your idea.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,104
Points 110,180

Shoot, this came out a bit big. When I sew the blocks together it's going to chop off the tips. I'll probably do it over but not right now. I needle turn appliqued this.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,800
Jacy replied on Wed, Jan 8 2014 7:49 PM

Nice fussy cuts Judy!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,027
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 1:06 PM

Nice work Judy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,485

Jacy:

Another fairly easy applique one. 

Here's a TUTORIAL with one method of doing applique. I do mine with freezer paper too but I iron it onto the right side of the fabric and then draw a pencil line around the freezer paper before I remove it. Then I have a guide line for turning my fabric under.

I cut my background a little bigger and trimmed it to 5" when I was done with the applique.

What a great idea to fussy cut, and the little girls with umbrellas is just tooooo cute!!!!  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 684
Points 10,270

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

okay friends. I really went rogue on this one. This first pic tells a story of center sections that do not meet up. But lo and behold! I appliqued a thimble sized circle over that little mish mash and renamed it "Aunt Exies's Sexy Fox" instead of Aunt Exie's Phlox.  You know how you reach that point in your life when you look sexier with clothes on than clothes off? My little thimble sized cover up does exactly that. To heck with rules. I want my Dear Jane to be stunning. If I had to stick with the plain Phlox I would not be doing her justice.

Loving the journey in Michigan...-Jeanne

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,104
Points 110,180

Jeanne. Great solution. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Jeanette, pretty batik.  

Jeanne, i love what you've done with this one!

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 1,005
Faye Doll replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 9:10 AM

It looks great!  I love the idea!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,485
Christine replied on Mon, Jan 13 2014 12:45 PM

thelakeshore:

okay friends. I really went rogue on this one. This first pic tells a story of center sections that do not meet up. But lo and behold! I appliqued a thimble sized circle over that little mish mash and renamed it "Aunt Exies's Sexy Fox" instead of Aunt Exie's Phlox.  You know how you reach that point in your life when you look sexier with clothes on than clothes off? My little thimble sized cover up does exactly that. To heck with rules. I want my Dear Jane to be stunning. If I had to stick with the plain Phlox I would not be doing her justice.

Loving the journey in Michigan...-Jeanne

LOL! I'm lovin' it! And may have to do the same thing, as my fear is that the same thing will happen to me....Love the green, my favorite color is green!!!

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 4 (55 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use