Block assignments

rated by 0 users
This post has 127 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 155
Points 2,725
Patricia4 replied on Fri, May 16 2014 4:58 PM

Karla I hear you loud and clear!  I look longingly at my DJ squares every day.  Seems that somebody always needs something all the time and my quilting is just not their priority!  And by the end of the day I am just too pooped.  We will get there one day - we will, won't we?  haha  ; )

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Wed, May 28 2014 11:31 AM

I'm SO SORRY to all of you following along, somehow I lost a week and I should have posted this last Wednesday.

This assignment is posted in pages along with the next assignment incase I'm late again next week (last week of school and graduation = busy week for Mom)

This week's blocks are..........

B-11     B-12     J-12    J-13     M-12     TR-10

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Wed, May 28 2014 11:49 AM

J -12 Rebecca's basket   and J-13   Pam's Bells

J-12

For the basket  you'll need 3 pieces, 1 5/8 x 5",   1 1/4 x 4 1/4",   and the handle. Applique the handle to the background first, before you sew the block.

For the background cut 1 piece 3 1/4 x 5 1/2  and applique the handle, mine is done by machine. After appliquing, trim the piece to 2 3/4 x 5"

From background also cut 2 squares 1 5/8",  2 pieces 1 1/4 x 1 5/8", and a strip 1 x 5"

Construct the basket by sewing the square/rectangle on the ends of the basket pieces like this.

J-13

For center section cut a 2 1/4" square of dark. From light cut  (2) 2 1/4 x 2 1/2",  and a 3 1/2" square cut  diagonally into 2 triangles.

Assemble the center and then applique the little tear-drop shapes. Trim center to 4 1/4" square.

For outer border pieces cut from light (4) 1 x 1 3/4" and (4) 1 x 2 1/4".  From dark cut (4) 1 x 1 3/4"

• Filed under: , |
  • Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Wed, May 28 2014 12:11 PM

B-12 Starflower and B-11 Melissa's Cross

B-12 Starflower

Just plain ole applique, do it whichever way is your favorite

B-11   Melissa's cross

I made this a little different than the drawing in the book, I made it more like the photo in the book so you can follow me or do it your own way.

I made the center with a 3" square of blue cut diagonally into 4 QST's, (4) light strips  7/8 x 2 1/4" and a 7/8" blue square.

I sewed those together and trimmed the center to 2 1/2" .....mine isn't trimmed very evenly so it's a little wonky, hopefully you do better than me!

Then I sewed borders to the center, 2 at 1 x 2 1/2"  and 2 at 1 x 3 1/2"

For corners cut 2 squares 3 1/2", cut diagonally for 4 triangles. Applique the curved pieces to the triangles, centering them on the diagonal side of the triangle.

After appliquing them, attach triangles to corners and trim block to 5"

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Wed, May 28 2014 12:32 PM

M-12  Hopscotch

This block got kind of distorted in the photo.....poor block!

You've got to love this one, easy peasy, can't believe we haven't done this one yet.

Just follow these directions HERE

TR-10

I made mine with paper-piecing just like HERE with one small difference, I appliqued on the top diamond rather than piecing it. I'd rather applique than paper-piece. Do it YOUR favorite way

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 155
Points 2,725
Patricia4 replied on Wed, May 28 2014 6:31 PM

Jacy, from one busy mom to another, I hear you loud and clear, sister!  It is A-okay, no worries!  Thank you for all of the time you spend keeping us all together!  Personally, I have had plenty of backlog to keep me busy, but have made major progress towards catching up this last week.

It's been pretty lonely on the group, where is everyone?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 155
Points 2,725
Patricia4 replied on Wed, May 28 2014 9:31 PM

I'm noticing that BR-4 is on next week's Assignment #12 for 6/4/14 -- but we already have BR-4 in Assignment #6 from 3/5/14 -- in case you want to replace that one with a different one....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 1,700
Sandra replied on Wed, May 28 2014 10:58 PM

OH MY! I have been out of the loop!!! I only had to the 9th of April's assignments written down!!! Let alone getting to work on them - I realized tonight I havent worked on my Dear Jane  since February!!! Time to spend the kid free weekend at my machine I think!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, May 29 2014 9:21 AM

Patricia4:
I'm noticing that BR-4 is on next week's Assignment #12 for 6/4/14 -- but we already have BR-4 in Assignment #6 from 3/5/14

Oops, typo. Thanks for catching that. I went back and checked my list and it was supposed to be BR-5. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 155
Points 2,725
Patricia4 replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:35 PM

So I have been gone on vacation for a couple of weeks -- I was able to take some of the hand applique' pieces to work on while traveling, hooray!  -- Anyway, I notice there were no blocks posted on June 18, and there is no "link" on the Block Assignments page to instructions for the blocks of June 4.  I don't see any posts from anyone except Jane and myself in a very long time.  Is this still an active group?  Not sure if I am just talking to myself out here....

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 1,045
Faye Doll replied on Sat, Jun 28 2014 10:40 PM

Not sure what's going on with the group, but I'm still working on my Dear Jane.  I haven't been posting pictures... too many episodes of timing out and problems uploading.  But plugging away on my blocks and triangles!  I hope the group reactivates!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,735
Points 364,772
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:30 AM

Patricia, this often happens with long term projects. Life happens and people slow down. The group is still active. If there isn't an assignment for your specific blocks you can post them in the media gallery. Be sure to search for discussions older than two months by using the "sorting and filtering" feature.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 900
Points 16,680

Yes, Kris when life happens other projects seem to take over, t least for a while!  I've been busy making baby things for my son & daughter-in-law who are expecting a little girl on 10/4.  My daughter-in-law picked out the fabric for a ruffled 3-tiered crib skirt, curtains & a pillow so not much time to work on much else.  Of course, I'm also working on a matching quilt. I've made her 4 maternity tops along with a small tag blanket.   I've finished the  crib skirt, curtains & pillow covers so should be able to finish the quilt within the next few days.  

Then I want to get back to making several of the Dear Jane blocks each week so I can stay on track. I keep them out & visible as a reminder!  There are also some crochet hats & booties I want to make for her but can work on them in the evenings while watching TV.  

I still enjoy seeing what everyone else has done.   Beautiful work.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,606
Points 119,250

Faye. I finished my Dear Jane quilt so I'm not making more blocks. I've watched for others to post theirs but it seems to have gradually fizzled. It'll probably revive again at some point. That seems to be how these things usually work.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,735
Points 364,772
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 1:02 PM

Patricia Faye:
Then I want to get back to making several of the Dear Jane blocks each week so I can stay on track. I keep them out & visible as a reminder!

I was more than halfway done when Jacy took over this group. I had already posted all those block photos so didn't add them to the new threads. I misplaced my partially completed top for about two years (no joke) and just recently found it when I took everything out of my sewing room. I'll probably pick it up again when I get done with the LUS.

I also have two others (different colours) started. I'm working on some design changes for those.

Page 8 of 9 (128 items) «Prev56789Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use