Block assignments

rated by 0 users
This post has 127 Replies | 17 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 1,045

Will you be posting our new assignments soon?  I know you gave us the option of waiting an extra week.

Thanks so much for all your efforts to keep us on track!

Faye

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 9:14 AM

Sorry Faye for not getting them posted. I've been having a heck of a time getting on here, but yesterday I deleted cookies again ( 4th or 5th time) on my computer and it finally did the trick i think, at least so far so good, on twice now with no password issues.

I've added the assignment to "pages" and I will get photos and post tips this morning.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Points 2,610
Patricia4 replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 10:38 AM

Jacy thank you for continuing to persevere.  I know the site has been giving you terrible headaches.  Your efforts are sincerely appreciated, and I, for one, could not get through some of these blocks without your tips!

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 1:40 PM

Yay, it's still working for me......hopefully I'm fixed now for good.

OK, blocks for this time.........B-5, D-5, D-10, E-9, F-3 and TR-8

B-5  Hot cross Buns

Easy piecing on this one......

Dark, 4 squares 2", Light,  strips (2) 1x2" and one 1x4". Assemble center section.

Add 2 borders  of 1 1/2 x 4", and 2 of 1 1/2 x 6"  (These are oversize)

Applique centers with you favorite applique technique, mine are machine applique.

After applique, trim block to 5"

D-5 Cathedral Window

For paper-piecing instructions see HERE

For Rotary cutting, Cut center square 3", cut 4 strips  7/8th x 3", and 4 tiny squares 7/8". Add strips and squares to center squares.

For the corners, cut 2 squares, 2 3/8ths, cut on diagonal to make 4 triangles. Cut 8 strips 7/8th x 2 3/4". (they can be 1" wide and trim the extra when you square up you block) I wish I'd taken a photo of this part, hopefully you can understand...... Take one strip and sew it to one of the short sides of the triangle, matching up  with the square corner of the triangle. Press GENTLY, fingerpressing is OK. Then line up the other strip with the other short side of the triangle, sew and press gently. Trim long ends of the strip to make them even with the long side (Bias edge) of the triangle. Add each corner to your block.

Made another from a scrap to show you

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:04 PM

B-10 Battlefield. Lots of Little pieces, but not hard.

To paper-piece see HERE

To rotary cut.... Cut 6 squares  1 3/4"  from both light and dark fabric. Make 12 HST's, then trim 8 of them to 1 1/4" squares., Sew into groups of 4. Save the other 4 for the corners.

Cut 2 light squares 1 9/16ths.......don't panic, it just a hair (1/16th) more than 1 1/2", and 4 more squares 1 3/4" of dark fabric. Cut them on the diagonal and sew to each side of those light squares. Square up to 2". Assemble center.

Add border strips, light fabric, (2) 7/8th x 3 1/2" , and (2) 7/8th x 4 1/4"

Almost done! Take those 4 extra HST's, trim to 7/8ths. Cut 4 strips of dark fabric 7/8th x 4 1/4" and sew final border.

E-9 Quilt Jail

Pretty easy, little pieces but NO triangles!

Tutorial for rotary cutting HERE

I made mine from a 'picture' kind of fabric, it takes a bit of paying attention to keep them in the right order but it make it look like a view out of of window.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:19 PM

F-3 Snowball

To paper-piece see HERE

To rotary cut:  Cut a 3 1/2" light square for the center and (4) 1 1/2" squares of your dark fabric. Put a small square on each corner and sew like THIS

For corners cut 2 squares each of light and dark, 1 3/4". Make 4 HST's and trim to 1 1/4". Cut 4 border strips 1 1/4 x 3 1/2"

TR-8 Brigadoon   Sorry pic is right side up on my computer.

I thought this one was easiest to make by applique. I traced the shapes onto freezer paper first so I could trace the out-line of the shape on my fabric so i would have a line to turn on. I also made marks on my background to help keep everything lined up right.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:23 PM

Patricia4:
I can no longer seem to find the thread for "general chit chat". 

I shall find it for you and "bump" it back to the top

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:27 PM

Patricia4:
are any of you sashing as you go along?  Thoughts about this?

I am sashing as I go, I didn't in the begining. I think you have to at least make some blocks to be sure of the color, layout, etc. Once you figure that out it is great to cut a stack of sashing pieces and sew them on as you go, or maybe every 10 blocks or so. Sure beats sewing 160+ all in one go!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 2:29 PM

Brenda :
I have skipped all of the applique blocks, yesterday I actually started working on one of those skipped blocked.  I am ready to sew the pieces on today.

Good for you Brenda! How did it go? They are small pieces, but choose some easier ones first and you'll improve as you go along.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 1,045

Don't be sorry!  I'm just being greedy!  :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Points 2,610
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:38 PM

Thank you Jacy!

So.  Newbie question.  About this sashing as you go.  I would guess you put on two connecting sides of sashing / cornerstones on each block?  And does this work just as well as doing, say, sashing between blocks, then a strip of sashing/cornerstones between rows?  I am wondering if doing the long strip between rows helps to keep the block sizes more even, or cover up more of those little uneven ones -- than doing them individually as you go -- I don't know if I'm making much sense here, but it makes sense in my head....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Points 2,610
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:39 PM

Jacy the "bump" worked, thank you !

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 147
Points 2,610
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:41 PM

Jacy I especially like your picture window on E9 Quilt Jail!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,488
Points 362,222
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 11:10 PM

Patricia4:
So.  Newbie question.  About this sashing as you go.  I would guess you put on two connecting sides of sashing / cornerstones on each block?  And does this work just as well as doing, say, sashing between blocks, then a strip of sashing/cornerstones between rows?

It makes it more manageable, especially in this case. That long strip would be very narrow. I add sashing to the right side and bottom of each block as I go. I didn't do cornerstones for DJ.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Apr 23 2014 3:38 PM

Here's the newest assigned blocks for you to work on. If you are behind don't stress, just pick a block and get to work! It doesn't matter what order you do them in.

A-3, B-4, D-9, E-12, F-4 and TR5

First up, the applique block for the week, A-3 Hunter's Moon

I did my applique by machine, and I made it more difficult. I appliqued the 4 melon shapes to my background, then I carefully cut away the center and put another fabric behind the block to fill in the hole I cut out. That is extra though, all you need to do is applique 4 melon shapes to the background.

B-4  Chris's Soccer Field

My contrast is not so great here so it's harder to see.

I started with a 3" square for the center, add 3/4" strips of contrast fabric to each side. Then add 7/8" strips the same fabric as the center, followed by another 3/4" contrast strip. End with the 7/8" strip again. 

Turn your block so the center square is on point and trim to 4" square. 

Add borders of 1 x 4" to top and bottom, 1 x 5" to each side.

Page 6 of 9 (128 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use