Block assignments

rated by 0 users
This post has 127 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 12,400
Patricia4 replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:27 PM | Locked

Thank you Judy, for updating us!  I was wondering if Jacy was having such a problem.  How frustrating this site is, but what else can we do?  I myself will wait until poor Jacy can get back online and give us her great rotary cutting tips.  Thatquilt.blogspot paper pieces everything, which is not my preferred way to do it if possible.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me, I have plenty of backlogged blocks to keep me busy!  Wishing Jacy and everyone success on logging in and posting....

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,888
Points 142,150
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:41 PM | Locked

The site seems to be back and running good this morning. I think I'll make a couple DJ blocks this afternoon just in celebration.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 164
Points 2,875
Brenda replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 1:47 PM | Locked

I am working on my DJ blocks too.  I have skipped all of the applique blocks, yesterday I actually started working on one of those skipped blocked.  I am ready to sew the pieces on today.

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 4:26 PM | Locked

Yay, I got on here.......I've been trying for over a week.

Now I'll see if I can post some tips for the last blocks assigned while I'm on here.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:03 PM | Locked

The icon for photos isn't working, so no photos.......I am such a patient person, this site is testing my patience!!!!!!

D-6     I was bad on this one, didn't keep notes, this should work.

To paper-piece see HERE

If you don't want to paper piece, cut a square 5", measure in 1 ⅝" from each corner and cut a triangle off each corner to give you that Octagon shape. Or trace the octagon shape from the book and add ¼" seam allowance to each side. Cut 4 strips ¾ x 3" long of your contrasting fabric. Sew to each corner that you just trimmed, will be a little oversized, trim to size.  Cut 2 squares at 2", cut diagonally for 4 HST's, sew to each corner and trim block to square up. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:10 PM | Locked

Now that I posted the first block, now the photo icon is back!

So E-5

I did paper-piece this one, just like HERE 

Don't worry about your center points matching up....They won't show after you appliqué the circle on top. Also if your center seems bulky from all those seems, you can trim a small circle out of the center of the block, just make sure it's SMALLER  than the circle you will be appliquéing over it!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,888
Points 142,150
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:15 PM | Locked

You're right Jacy, the photo icon just comes up to a blank page. I'll post something on the admin forum.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:30 PM | Locked

Block H-13

To paper-piece see HERE

To rotary-cut  Cut a 5 ½" square, cut on both diagonals to make 4 QST's. Cut 2 strips 1 x 3 ½, and 1 strip 1 x 7"

Block I-3 (mine has sashing on the right side)

To make it like the drawing in the book you will need:

9 - 1 ¾" squares

6 - ⅞ x 1 ¾"

2 - ⅞ x 5"

To make it look like the photo in the book (and my block) you will need:

9 - 1 ½" squares

6 - ⅞ x 1 ½"

2 - ⅞ x 5"

Sew those together, then add border of 2 strips 1 x 4 ½", and 2 strips 1 x 5"

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:44 PM | Locked

Phew, so far, so good on the posting!

Last block L-7

To paper-piece see HERE

To rotary cut:

For center cut 1 square 1 ½", if you want to be precise it is 1 9/16ths, or a hair over 1 ½". Also cut 2 squares 2" of your dark fabric, cut on the diagonal to make 4 triangles. These are over-size, I always prefer to trim them up precisely after I sew them.....then you don't have to handle such tiny triangles too. Sew a triangle on each side of your square and trim to 2".

For the sides cut 4 darks 1 x 2", and 4 lights 1 ½ x 2".

For the corners cut 4 squares of light 2". 

• Filed under: |
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:52 PM | Locked

And our wonderful Triangle for the week    TR-6

I've been paper-piecing my triangles, they just have too many odd shapes to rotary cut I think.

So see HERE to paper-piece. If you are not fond of appliqué I think you could just leave the little flame off the top and you would still have a wonderful triangle block.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,680
Points 64,215
Jacy replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:57 PM | Locked

So now that I finally got those caught up........only took over 2 hours.....sheesh. It's working for me on Safari, but still sooo slow.

Now the question is......Do you want me to post a new assignment on schedule, this wednesday April 2nd, or give you an extra week since these tips were posted so late?

Let me know........

Happy sewing!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 12,400
Patricia4 replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:07 PM | Locked

Well I would not turn down an extra week, but will be happy to go with the flow, whatever everyone else wants.  Thank you Jacy for not giving up, and spending so much time persevering to get the info on for us.

Patricia 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 12,400
Patricia4 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 1:30 PM | Locked

I can no longer seem to find the thread for "general chit chat".  I have not been able to work on my DJ for at least a month, but I am hopeful of getting active again this week or next -- hope springs eternal!  Have we lost some of our gals due to the frustrations of signing on to this site?  Seems very quiet around here lately.  I know I have not been active, just due to chaos at home, but am trying to get back to it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 12,400
Patricia4 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 1:35 PM | Locked

And -- are any of you sashing as you go along?  Thoughts about this?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,888
Points 142,150
Judy T-Bellingham replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 3:01 PM | Locked

Patricia4:

And -- are any of you sashing as you go along?  Thoughts about this?

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to layout the blocks. I only have 41 blocks and 5 triangles made so far. I've been playing with various layouts in EQ7 but nothing has gotten me excited yet.

Page 5 of 9 (128 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.