Restarting Dear Jane group Jan 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 169 Replies | 28 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

okie2tx:

I  plan on starting my first Dear Jane in January.  I enrolled in a BOM from fabricfanatics.com.  It will be on a dark background and all done in batiks.  Can't wait to see what everybody here is doing! I have the software but not sure how to use it.  I want to paper piece as many blocks as I can.

I also plan to paper piece some pieces. I'll decide with each block..

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 913
Points 17,110

I'm so looking forward to getting started on this!  Since the EQ software isn't compatible with my MacBook Pro I've been looking at the Dear Jane site's Block Tips and they're very helpful for making each block.  I think I'm going to print it out so I have it with the patterns as I make them.  There are quite a few that can be paper-pieced and/or appliquéd so I'm happy.   I've separated the pages from the book binding & put them in a binder.  I also photocopied & cut each to go in it's own plastic sleeve so I can add the fabric I want to use for each one with it. I like to be organized so all I have to do is sit and sew!

Some of the block pieces are tiny!  This morning I've been going through my scrap bag  (little bitty pieces) to see which ones are big enough to use and saving the rest to make a pillow for my DS & DDIL's 2 dogs. It's amazing how quickly the threads and scraps accumulate.  

Can you believe it!  Christmas is only days away and then January will be here.  

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,845
Brenda replied on Sat, Dec 14 2013 9:03 PM

Jacy,

Thank you I have wanted to dust off The Dear Jane stuff and start again I am not sure where I am.  I will be ready to start back up in January.  I am new to working with small quilt pieces and I always seem to want things perfect, UGGG.  I need to work on relaxing and just having fun.

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 2,845
Brenda replied on Sat, Dec 14 2013 9:08 PM

Wow what a great job!

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 770
Cynthia H. replied on Sat, Dec 14 2013 10:46 PM

Well I started my sewing part of the journey tonight and I am frustrated.  Not sure what I am not getting but I traced the pieces and parts of several blocks, added 1/4 seam allowance and sewed.  The blocks looked beautiful but were way too big :(.  Two I cut down, one I ripped apart to cut down but then ended up cutting too much so it will be a redo as now it's too small.  I love piecing blocks but sincerely dislike re-piecing pieced blocks.  If you see what I am doing wrong here, feel free to give me that input.

I did go to the dearjane.com site and see the block instructions do have cutting sizes.  So I will check there prior to starting to sew I think.  There are too many blocks in this quilt to be doing them two or three times :).

If I can figure out how to get a pic in this feed I will add a photo of what was done…..but dragging it here didn't work.  Hum….I think it's time for bed!  

Cynthia H.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 20,390

Cynthia, welcome!  I've never done dear jane before so I can't help with that but I can tell you how to post pics. Above the box where you enter your text, there is a small button that looks like a filmstrip. Click that and them find the picture you want to share. Good luck. I am looking forward to maybe starting this with all of you in January. ;)

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 770

Thank you Carolyn!  I am awake and getting ready to tackle the fix-its on yesterday's mess, lol.  Here's what was done yesterday:

M12 Hopscotch (not as wonky as the pic looks) 

A6 Uncle Homer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Judy, thank you for commenting.

Enjoy your Sunday.

God bless the whole world. No exceptions! (I saw this on a bumper sticker Thursday and It's sticking with me!)

Jeanne in Michigan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Cynthia dear, this is really nice work. Hopscotch M12 is not wonky. I'll show you wonky!

My A11 Pebble's Protest. Now that's wonky. But it is an excellent exercise in "Finished is [far] better than perfect". I really mean that. Come time to put the binding Dear Jane I will feel better than had I given up and not finished it.

On a mission,

-Jeanne in Michigan

God bless the whole world. No exceptions.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 271
Points 5,550
Yvonne replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 9:47 AM

Excited to see the restart of this group!  Or is it just the continuation?  Anyway, I've been wanting to get going on a Dear Jane for eons now.  Have the book, have the CD....just need a support group of Janiacs to spur me on.  :-)

btw, nice to see another PNW quilter here, Judy!

Renton Washington

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Yvonne :
btw, nice to see another PNW quilter here, Judy!

Hi Yvonne. Yep, there are actually a few of us around here, several east of the mountains, at least one on the Peninsula. Haven't heard of any on the islands. I get close to your neck of the woods during the annual Shop Hop and again on my way through to Puyallup for Sew Expo.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 271
Points 5,550
Yvonne replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:19 AM

Fun!  Maybe one of these shop hops or Sew Expos, we could meet up!  A PNW QCA gathering.  ;-)

Renton Washington

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 525
Points 10,320
Judi replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:26 AM

Hi Jacy 

i have always wanted to do a Dear Jane. Are we going to work on the same blocks each month?  The feed is over6 pages. Is there a page that gives info?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 525
Points 10,320
Judi replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:30 AM

dear Lakeshore

Where did you get then"whole Enchilada?"  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 120

I want to start this quilt.  So if I can I would like to join this group.  I will buy the book this week.  I am so excited to start this amazing journey.

Page 6 of 12 (170 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use