Restarting Dear Jane group Jan 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 169 Replies | 28 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145

When I started my Dear Jane, I didn't buy the book, I bought the software instead.  I've got to say, the software is excellent!  I highly recommend it.  You get tips and tips from Brenda P., plus all the cutting measurements, templates and paper piecing.  Just using the software and have not missed having the book.  Can't wait to get started again, need to finish the Farmers Wife, just 16 blocks to go.  My plan on Dear Jane is a block a day.  Any one with me???

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,912
Points 124,870

Quiltedknitter:
 My plan on Dear Jane is a block a day.  Any one with me???

Not sure I'll keep up with that schedule since I'm also doing Loyal Union and working on my own on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. But I'll certain do what I can on Dear Jane. I should have the software in hand tomorrow.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, Dec 5 2013 11:45 PM

Quiltedknitter:

When I started my Dear Jane, I didn't buy the book, I bought the software instead.  I've got to say, the software is excellent!  I highly recommend it.  You get tips and tips from Brenda P., plus all the cutting measurements, templates and paper piecing.  Just using the software and have not missed having the book.  Can't wait to get started again, need to finish the Farmers Wife, just 16 blocks to go.  My plan on Dear Jane is a block a day.  Any one with me???

No chance what so ever im already working on the EPP sampler quilt, Sylvias Bridal, Loyal union sampler, Fantasy flowers (in the applique group) Wildflowers (applique group) and the hawaiian 12 days of christmas applique quilt (my own invention) oh and the EPPology (quilters monopoly board) i think thats the list at the moment.

lots of love

Francesxxx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

I cannot piece a block a day but I can piece two a week. Other projects too scrumptious to take a back seat. But I did do my first triangle,B1, yesterday.

Jeanne in Michigan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Frances, the fabrics are delicious! -Jeanne in Michigan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

And here is that first triangle I did yesterday. BR1 Rosemary's Rainbow (And friends, I would be nothing without the software and rulers.) -Jeanne in Michigan

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 320
JennieQ replied on Fri, Dec 6 2013 9:49 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me.  But I am with Judy, I have LUS that I haven't been able to start and working on a few quilt alongs, Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, christmas quilts and presents. My hands are full at this time and will start LUS, SBS, Farmers wife, Dear Jane, and few other quilt alongs in January.  I am going to have a full year with quilts. I hope I can stay  motivated.

JennieQ

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 4:18 PM

Pretty triangle Jeanne.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Dec 11 2013 9:07 PM

I received the book today and I think I'm in trouble.  It's going to take me forever just to figure out what size to cut those itty-bitty pieces.

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,912
Points 124,870

Karla. That was my reaction when I got the book. So I bit the bullet and bought the software. I did the first block by printing the paper piecing. That made it much easier. You don't need EQ to use the Dear Jane software.  It's stand alone. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 12:07 PM

The "Dear Jane" website has tips for making each block. If you look down the left side of the page you'll see block tips. Click on each one for suggestions.

You can also copy the block onto freezer paper, number the pieces and cut it apart on the lines. Iron the pieces to fabric and rotary cut 1/4 inch away from the edges of the freezer paper. I use 1/2 inch on outer edges to make it easier when trimming at the end.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,867
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 12 2013 12:08 PM

You can also use the line drawing to paper piece. Just cut grouped segments instead of individual pieces.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
okie2tx replied on Fri, Dec 13 2013 12:14 PM

I  plan on starting my first Dear Jane in January.  I enrolled in a BOM from fabricfanatics.com.  It will be on a dark background and all done in batiks.  Can't wait to see what everybody here is doing! I have the software but not sure how to use it.  I want to paper piece as many blocks as I can.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Karla, I am new to quilting but have fallen hard. I am soaking up every little tip and trick possible. Keeping my ears and eyes wide open. Joined two quilt guilds. Yehaw. I found the Dear Jane quilt online and thought long and hard before committing. I bought the whole enchilada: book, software and rulers. Because of that purchase I got the Dear Jane pin for free. The software is an absolute must for me. I have now completed Row A 1 through 12 and my first triangle. I could not do this with the book only. No way. So here you see a print out of the rotary cutting instructions. Sometimes I have to also print out the template instructions of the same block just to get measurements.

I am so glad I am tackling Dear Jane. And I totally live by "Finished is Better Than Perfect." The deep feeling of satisfaction of setting aside another done block is like nothing else. I am really liking the journey. Don't get me wrong. There are moments when I have to step back and refocus but I'm in. Sleeves rolled up and taking it all one step at a time and sometimes one or two steps backward.

Jeanne in Michigan

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,912
Points 124,870

You're new to quilting and you're tackling Dear Jane? Wow, Jeanne, you are Woman!! That is a very well done block and I love the fabrics. 

Page 5 of 12 (170 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use