Restarting Dear Jane group Jan 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 152 Replies | 26 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145

Hi All

Just joined QCA and noticed that you are restarting a Dear Jane Group.  I need a kick in the toukas to get back to Jane.  I started and then stopped until I could get my applique skills honed.  Besides, I'm finishing the Farmers Wife Quilt.  Am I a masochist or what?   Glad to be a member of this group.

Sherry

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Welcome to all in this group. I don't have a specific goal in mind but I do want to have copious amount blocks done by this time January. So far I have a grand total of six. Woo hoo!  Piecing and appliqueing my Lori Smith Small Quilts below have taught me a ton and I'm ready to take on Dear Jane. Jeanne in Michigan

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Just got my book. Oh my my my, I didn't know what I was getting into. This looks like it's way beyond me.  I may rethink my rethinking. Sorry Frances.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Jeanne, I am so impressed with your blocks. After looking through the book I don't think I'm up to figuring them out. Back to the spectator section for me.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Does anyone use the CD with EQ? I just have the book but found that it is available as a CD to use with EQ7. Not sure if that would help me and it's another outlay of $48

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 4:36 PM

Judy the DJ CD is a standalone program that works like EQ. You can link the libraries and just use EQ if you want. EQ won't import the triangles.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Thanks Kris. Since the CD is available on the EQ site I thought it would be fully functional. Not sure yet if I want to put out $$ for something I may not want to do.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,422
Points 40,360
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 7:11 PM

Judy, I have the EQ Dear Jane and it does give instructions and ways to make the block easier.  My DH got it for me long ago when he bought EQ5 for me.  Haven't upgraded as I don't have time to play around with the programs I have.  (Block Base and Dear Jane)  I am glad I have it already as I understand the concern about the cost.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 8:01 PM

The instructions on the CD can be found on the DJ website.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 1:39 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Just got my book. Oh my my my, I didn't know what I was getting into. This looks like it's way beyond me.  I may rethink my rethinking. Sorry Frances.

Judy,

Ive never done anything like this, but im thinking you take one block at a time and do not think too far ahead, and now youve got the book it seems a shame not to make it, Im sure George agrees with me. :-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 373
Points 4,980
Annette replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 8:14 AM

Hi Jeanne in Michigan

Love your Lori Smith quilts.   Have a couple of her patterns but haven't started yet.

Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Hello Annette. Thank you for the mention!

I attended the AQS show in Grand Rapids, Michigan in August. I purchased Lori Smith's "Show Special". That is...ten pack of six blocks each for a total of 60 small quilts. I am working my way through them when I discovered that B _ _ _ _ _  Dear Jane.  I have now pieced 7 DJ blocks and am going back to the Lori Smith small quilt project in between just to take a mental break.

I love quilting. I love people who quilt. I love people who understand what goes into quilting.

Jeanne in Michigan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 1,700
Sandra replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 11:13 AM

Yay! I started my dear Jane 2 years ago, but sadly have moved away from quilt shop that we worked away at it once a month, so this group will get me back at it I hope! 

I am doing mine with white background and all watercolour/ solid batiks.... so far am loving the blocks i have done. 

I see questions about the software - I have it and as I complete each block, I recolour the one in EQ to match mine and place it in the correct location on the quilt.... it encourages me to keep working at them and also I can see if I am getting too many of one colour group, or what colours the neighbouring blocks shouldn't be when I go to make them.... will take some photos of what I have done & post later today!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,461
Points 116,610

Thanks Sandra. Do you actually use EQ to print the templates, paper piecing or rotary cutting directions? Or do you use the method in the book?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 1,700
Sandra replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 11:45 PM

I have used the EQ to print out the blocks, but the triangles are a bit more tricky - I would have to go on the program again to check what it was, something to do with you have to uncheck a box or check a box to say leave the triangle as is, and not adjust it to a square block.... I just realized that my laptop that recently died is the one that had my DJ program on it... OH NO!!!!

Well looks like I have more of an adventure than planned on my hands.... 

Page 3 of 11 (153 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use