Restarting Dear Jane group Jan 2014

rated by 0 users
This post has 152 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 8:39 AM

Kristine, are you talking about quoting from someone's original post?

To do that you click reply on the post of the person you want to reply too, then you highlight the part you are replying to and click "quote"

It will paste it directly to your reply box.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 8:57 AM

I'm looking for imput on the pace for working on these blocks.

I was thinking of having an assignment every 2 weeks.

If we do 4 blocks every assignment, that would take over 2 years, I think it's hard to keep everyone (me included) focused for that length of time.

4 blocks and 1 triangle, that would be 1 yr 9 months.

5 blocks and a triangle each time, that's about 1 1/2 years.

Is 5 + a triangle a lot for every 2 weeks? Some have a bunch of blocks done already, some may not want to do the triangles. If I post more blocks than you can get done you can pick and choose the ones you want to do......the easier ones?

Tell me what you think.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,312
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 11:08 AM

Hi Kristine,

I was making them as assigned in the group. When that died down I just filled in the rows. I'm finished A though G.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,312
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 11:13 AM

Jacy:

Is 5 + a triangle a lot for every 2 weeks? Some have a bunch of blocks done already, some may not want to do the triangles. If I post more blocks than you can get done you can pick and choose the ones you want to do......the easier ones?

Tell me what you think.

I like this option. Even if everyone doesn't keep up the assignments will be there for future visits. I've stopped and started quite a bit as I find more interesting projects. At one point I was making one block daily. I'm hand piecing the majority of this.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 280
Kristine replied on Mon, Nov 18 2013 5:18 PM

Jacy:

Tell me what you think.

Well, let's see if this "quoting" thing works...or if I can make i work :)

I think 5 + a triangle every 2 weeks is fine. I used to have a goal of 5 a week, and that was difficult to maintain.

I haven't done any triangles, only 20 or so blocks.

I like the idea of someone suggesting the blocks every two weeks, because then it doesn't give me a "choice' to skip the harder ones ---have to find a way to no procrastinate...

Kristine

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Jeanne here.

I am a new quilter. Yesterday I joined the Dear Jane group here. Today I find this thread. After reading through it I would like to make my first post. I started with the purchase of The Quilt Show Special: all ten of Lori Smith's Small Quilts patterns. Sixty of them in all. I have worked my way through 18 of them, methodically and carefully, learning a ton as I go.

Then I found out about Dear Jane via Kathy Tracy's SmallQuiltTalk yahoo group.

I bought the DJ book, cd and rulers. I ordered ten yards of Kona Snow background fabric but it will take two weeks to arrive. To journal this I am attaching bits of fabric to the cd print out and will put it in a 3-ring binder.  I have made one block, A-1 Pinwheel Gone Awry. Because I could not wait to get started I have decided to make two Dear Janes. One in a scrappy way and then as the block is still fresh in my mind I will make the second out of the masterpiece Kona Snow. I hope to be a valuable member.

Here is my first block:

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 10:11 AM

Welcome Jeanne!  We're glad to have you here. The more the merrier right. It's a lot more fun to work with a group.

Your first block looks wonderful, for a new quilter you are doing terrific.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 111
Points 2,065

Thank you for the welcome. And allow me to shout it on the hilltop.

One Two Buckle My Shoe.

I am glad to be finished with you!

It feels so good to have completed another block.

Jeanne in Michigan

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,312
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:29 PM

Pretty blocks Jeanne.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 280
Kristine replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:41 PM

Hi Jeanne,

I really like your background fabric.

Kristine.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:58 PM

Jeanne,  another great little block. You are doing great with these, they look so precise!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,115
Points 110,400

I was just cruising through the media and saw the dozens of blocks Kris did last year. They are beautiful. I still plan to be a spectator for this one (yes, Frances, a spectator! LOL)  although I've ordered the book. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 110

Hi, Jacy and All.  I've been working on a Dear Jane for over a year.... got 30 blocks done and am learning that organizing this quilt is as important as working on each block.    Internet Technology, Uploading photos, etc.  is not my strong point, and I am going to try to post some photos of my Jane "concept" and some of my finished blocks.  Do we ever use Pinterest or Flickr to share work?  I'm starting to get the hang of those to systems!   

I would love to join this group whenever.  8-10 blocks and 1 triangle per month would be about all I could handle.  As we are getting started, learning about how others organize their Janes  would be a big help.  I'm so excited to find you.  Always, Kate

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 26 2013 9:49 PM

Welcome! Glad to have you Kate.

We'd love to see photos of your blocks. To upload a photo to a post you click on that little filmstrip in the bar at the top of your post. If you need help just ask, there are others who are more tech savvy than me.

I'm really busy for the rest of the year, holidays, birthdays, my daughters wedding and family visiting. But I plan to start posting block assignments at the beginning of the year, I'm aiming for Jan 1st, but it may be a few days later. We will have fun working together, it's always great to see everyone's blocks, and to get help and tips from each other as we go along.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Wed, Nov 27 2013 12:15 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I was just cruising through the media and saw the dozens of blocks Kris did last year. They are beautiful. I still plan to be a spectator for this one (yes, Frances, a spectator! LOL)  although I've ordered the book. 

Judy honey,

If youve brought the book you are no longer a spectator :-)

Im one of the newbies to Dear Jane have just brought the book, will use my fabric stash so blocks will be bitty and not following any colour theme, I will be doing it EPP since thats easiest for me (my sewing machines are still not my favourite thing to use, and probably never will be)

As usual i will be bringing up the rear, im always last since im always the slowest (partly because i have too many quilts on the go at one time)

Thank you Jacy for restarting this.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 2 of 11 (153 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use