Dear Jane of course

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,130
Cris Posted: Mon, Jan 11 2010 9:27 AM

I was in a Dear Jane Club which taught different methods of completing the blocks, some on machine, some hand pieced, some foundation pieced.  Due to people getting the software and going out on their own, the Club broke up.  So now I am trying to not only complete the quilt in Civil War fabrics but make another one as well at the same time.  I see that Lessons are listed in the discussion.  Are these for a class that everybody is taking or in the software.  I have just the book and myself.  I have completed several blocks, some already listed in the lessons.

Thanks

Cris

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Hi Chris

I just have the book but lots of people are using the software I don't know if that is everyone. Andrea is giving me some help but I have not started yet . I think it is the size to cut the pieces that people have trouble with and the software helps. I would be interested in how you measure and fit the pieces together if you are just using the book as I feel I will have to buy the software.

Hampshire, England

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,130
Cris replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:00 AM

You can measure the pieces in the book and add 1/2 inch.  If the book shows 1 inch by 2 inch piece you would cut it 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches.  Triangles are a little more difficult. I usually just draw it out on graph paper that has 1/4 inch squares and then take my ruler and draw the 1/4 inch around and then measure.  That is the long, hard way I know but without the software what can you do.  There are also some that are foundation pieced and those I will have to do carefully.  Someday I might have the software but for now, I'll just do the best I can.

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:23 AM

Cris

We started with the lessons on the software just to get us started and everyone on the same page so to speak.  It is not really necessary to have the software but I have found that it really helps me....

What blocks have you finished....are you doing them all by hand.....give us all the dirt....LOL.  I am attempting to do my DJ all by hand.  Never did hand piecing before but so far I have really enjoyed myself.

We would love for you to post pics of the blocks you have done....

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Nana

I am thinking of doing it by hand too but I have never hand pieced anything. It sounds as though you are enjoying it though and I do find hand sewing relaxing.

Hampshire, England

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Chris

Like you I will have to buy the software when I can. How many blocks have you done so far and are you hand piecing?

Hampshire, England

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 10:53 AM

hi cris,   i have the cd, but it is taking more time to figure out how to use it than just drafting the blocks myself.   i am hand piecing it and have stumbled already on one of the blocks,  oh well.   i'll work my way back to that block in a couple of days when i'm less frustrated.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,130
Points 386,912
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:48 PM

Cris and Jay-Marie,

If you don't have the software you can go to the Dear Jane website for block tips. It gives measurements for pieced blocks. Brenda and other "Janiacs" share their experiences as well. There's even a free BOM that just started.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:55 PM

Great info Kris....thanks.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 580
Barb replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:43 PM

Hi Cris,

I only have the book too at this point and already I have run into a problem with the M-5 block as I want to match Jane's block not the block in the book. The picture is different than the pattern so I found a Dear Jane Tip site but the directions don't really look like some that have been posted already. Oh me, I think this sinus headache is maybe the problem, think I will put it away for today and hope tomorrow will be better.........so many small pieces......but I CAN do this :)

Barb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 2:56 PM

Barb

For M5 cut 2 squares 23/4 x 23/4 out of main fabric....cut 4 at 23/4 x 7/8 out of background ..... cut 4 at 2 x 7/8 background...... cut 4 at 11/4 x11/4 background and 4 at 11/4 x 11/4 main color.....

This will give you the block pictured from Jane's quilt....any questions please ask and I will try to explain.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 580
Barb replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:15 PM

THANK YOU so much Nana! I am going to try it again using these measurements, I am going to our daughters for three days and thought if I could get two blocks cut it would be a perfect opportunity to get them done when the kids are in school. I love the hand piecing but getting them cut out is another story. I am going to have to give in and buy the software even though our quilt shop owner told me it is a waste of money.....guess she likes drafting templates more than I do. I'm so grateful I found this group, don't think I would do it without everyones support :)

Barb

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:26 PM

Barb

I don't think I would have tackled this project without the software.  The book just doesn't give enough information.  With the softeware you can choose to get rotary cutting or template or foundation piecing for each block.  Then you get detailed info on what ever you have chosen.   These blocks are too complicated for me to draft on my own,,,,

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,768
Points 420,339
gini replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 4:26 PM

i have the software and get lost trying to find stuff and the places they send me don't tell me anything, so i must not be getting to the right place.   will have to go wade through it again.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 11 2010 7:31 PM

Gini

If you go to the section that says work on my quilt and then click on file at the top and open as new.  Then go to libraries and click on block library...center blocks....then pick the row...then block ...then click copy and it will go to your sketchbook.  Now go to work on quilt again and place block then work on block and print and it will give you choice of which directions you want.  I feel sure I made that sound more complicated then it really is.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.