Dear Jane Software

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 18 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 120
elzbietasp@msn.com Posted: Thu, Jul 5 2012 6:57 PM

I just came across a "Dear Jane Software" on the EQ  Website.  It is on sale until July 6.  Does anyone have it and are you using it?   Would you recommend buying it??  Let me know your thoughts and or suggestions.  If you buy the software do you need to buy the book also??  Lots of questions with no answers.  Hope you can lend your expertise.  Thanks, Liz

• Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:03 PM

I have the book and the software and I would recommend the software over the book. The book has line drawings of each block, but no patterns. The book is nice if you like to sit in your comfy chair and look through the blocks but the software is much more useful. The software is independent of the book, you don't need both.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 11:13 AM

I agree with Jacy. The software is much more useful than the book.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,890

Which EQ website is this? I just bought the book and it didn't come with any cd's... doesn't even mention cd's. If the software is reasonably priced I'll return the book. Just need to know where to buy it from.

Thanks!!

Marie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 1:23 AM

This is really irritating. Probably my 10th attempt at replying to you Marie.

The software is a stand alone program by the Electric Quilt Company (makers of EQ). It can be found at:

JoAnn Fabrics

Amazon

Soft Expressions

Dear Jane Website

Electric Quilt website

I don't know if you're familiar with EQ but you can design your quilt and preview your blocks with your own fabric choices. You can also scan your finished blocks into a chart. It also provides you with alternate versions of some blocks that may be easier to make.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 440

I have the dear Jane software  and it is definitely better than the book.  It gives me a paper peicing option on many of the block. I prefer paper peicing when working on small blocks. It also gives you templete options, and rotory cutting options .  I use this program for my blocks .

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 320
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 7:14 PM

Just ordered the dear jane software, can't wait to check it out!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 280
Kristine replied on Thu, Nov 14 2013 2:11 PM

I agree with the others....software is better. You will need to have the EQ software as well. One thing the book does give is a lot of nice pictures of how people designed and finished their quilts.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 45
Gail replied on Thu, Nov 14 2013 6:23 PM

The Dear Jane software is stand alone. You do not need EQ to use it. I have the DJ software and have made 125 blocks so far. This has taken a year as other things have got in. The way... A Farmers Wife quilt, workshop, painting the house etc.

i don't own EQ but it is on my bucket list.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 45
Gail replied on Thu, Nov 14 2013 6:23 PM

The Dear Jane software is stand alone. You do not need EQ to use it. I have the DJ software and have made 125 blocks so far. This has taken a year as other things have got in. The way... A Farmers Wife quilt, workshop, painting the house etc.

i don't own EQ but it is on my bucket list.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Thu, Nov 14 2013 8:22 PM

Gail:
I have the DJ software and have made 125 blocks so far.

Wow Gail, that is a lot of little blocks, you are way far ahead of most of us! I always have lots of projects that get in my way, although it's often a new quilt project that distracts me from finishing what ever quilt I'm working on.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 110

Have the Book and the software.  Couldn't do it without the software to print the different options for construction the block.  I use the books to make notes about each block as I make it.  

Especially helpful for options for constructing the blocks is the blog:  thatquilt.com.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

That's helpful Kate. I may consider getting the EQ CD. Will give that some more thought as I do like using EQ. But I have so many CD's, patterns, helpful rulers and guides and don't know what to do with most of them! LOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,447
Points 116,345

That's helpful Kate. I may consider getting the EQ CD. Will give that some more thought as I do like using EQ. But I have so many CD's, patterns, helpful rulers and guides and don't know what to do with most of them! LOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 880
Points 16,355

I have a MacBook Pro & even after reading through the requirements, I'm not sure if the Dear Jane software is compatible.  Can one of you answer my question?  (This is a little over my head!)  It is on sale at EQ (20%) through 12/3.  

• Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use