Taking Suggestions to Vote on

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 378
Points 9,389
Andrea Posted: Tue, Dec 1 2009 7:39 PM

Hi Ladies,

We will be taking a vote on Dec. 16th on how we would like to proceed with this project as far as setting goals for finishing blocks.  We would like to hear from all of you your ideas on how to move forward with this project, and then Althea will set up a poll, and we will vote on Dec. 16th.  Please post your suggestions to this thread, and we would like to hear several different ideas on how to assign the blocks and how much you think that we should try to do each week.  This is YOUR Group, and now is the time to have your voice heard!  The most important thing is that we start into this project with the excitement and enthusiasm that I have seen expressed on these discussion boards.  This is a big project, but I believe that the Joy is in the Journey, and we will all improve our skills and make new friends along the way!

This is my suggestion for how to tackle this project!

We start stitching the blocks that go with Brenda's lessons!

Less 1, Jan. 1st: Block A-6, M-5, I-7.  (machine piecing)  2 weeks

Less 2,  Jan 15th: Block D-3, C-9.  (applique)  2 weeks

Less 3, Jan 29th: Block G-6, G-8 (foundation piecing & templates) 2 weeks

Less 4, Feb 12th: Block B-3, C-6  (hand piecing)  2 weeks

Less 5, Feb 26th : Block E-3, H-7, H-10 (machine piecing) 2 weeks

Less 11, Mar 12th: Block B-7, (melons in applique) 1 week

At the completion of the lessons, we will all be stitching at the same skill level.  I think that would be a good time to take a vote on how much we should try to accomplish each week, and we assign blocks by random drawing.

Now lets see some other ideas posted so that there will be something to vote on come Dec. 16th!

Much Aloha,  Andrea

• Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 1 2009 7:48 PM

I like this plan Andrea. I'll be hand piecing everything though.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Tue, Dec 1 2009 8:32 PM

i'm still going with what the group wants, i don't have my book yet.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 845
Points 12,437
Jutta replied on Tue, Dec 1 2009 9:56 PM

Andrea, sounds like a good plan. I am hand piecing all the blocks.

Aloha

Jutta, CA

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:26 AM

it would be interesting to know how many of us are going to hand piece all the blocks.   gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 220
Cindy E replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:47 AM

Your plan sounds good to me.  I will be working primarily by hand, although I may machine piece some if the mood strikes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 10:09 AM

Andrea

This sounds good to me.  I think we will probably have to increase the number of blocks we do on average per week after we get thru the lessons or we will be working on this quilt until I am past being able to work on a quilt of this  magnatude...lol

I am going to try hand piecing but we will see how it goes.  Think I am going to have to get me some magnafying glasses because the bifocals just aren't enough for hand sewing.....lol

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 11:43 AM

Count me in for awhile.  I will probably lurk on the group site to occasionally join in on progress.  Before I retired in 2006 (because I would rather quilt), I was a workaholic.  Except for the travelling around, I still have that characteristic even in quilting (250 quilts of various sizes since 2004).  Being single with no responsibilities other than myself and my cat, I can work 'round the clock' if I feel like it.

Your plan sounds like a good one for a group project, Andrea, so I will be supporting whatever you all decide to do.  I will machine piece my work, but will hand-piece if that is more amenable to a particular block or two.

Lilian

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 1:19 PM

nana, i got some of the highest powered cheaters i could find and they work great for hand work    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 395

Andrea, I think this schedule will work for me.  Can't wait for the 16th.  I'm anxious to get started on this journey.

Sheryl in SC

Sheryl in SC

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 255
I like your idea. And beging accountable and talking to others sounds good to me. I am going to be quilting, quilting and more quilting. GREAT for me. I have joined the Sylvia Bridal Sampler, also. Plus am going to be doing one at the quilt shop. I am going to be having a lot of fun.

I am like a snapdragon

Part of me has snapped

And a part of me is draggin

Jill Maria/KS
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 630
Zim replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:10 PM

This plan sounds good to me, one block a week is about all I will be able to handle, at least through January.  I will be hand piecing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:15 PM

jill-marie,  not only are you going to have fun, you are going to be very busy.   i have joined the SBS, too; but i don't have a local quilt store, thank goodness.    this is going to be  a lot of fun.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 9:18 PM

zim. i don't think we've met,   welcome.    so many people are choosing to hand piece the blocks,  i think i will do it all with hand piecing, too.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 10:12 PM

Jill-marie

I have joined the SBS too.  Plus have a guilt for raffle at my GD"s gymnastics meet in Feb. and then all the usual odds and ends that pop up.  I know I have 2 baby quilts that I will have to have ready by March for a couple at my church that is having Twins....and who knows what else....

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use