rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 70
Brenda Posted: Sun, Sep 6 2015 4:35 PM

Hi,

I've been quilting for most of my 57 years. I started with applique quilts, then I discovered crazy quilting a few years ago. I'm currently taking a free on-line course from Kathy Shaw, (http://www.shawkl.com/p/crazy-quilt-courses.html),  it's a beginners class on crazy quilting. I'm learning so much-it's wonderful. Is this group focused more on crazy quilting or on art quilts? I'm interested in both, I love your term crazy art quilter. Thanks for letting me join.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 484
Points 8,375

Welcome Brenda!

I think we are more focused on CQ rather than art.. Several of the members have created some wonderful art in their CQ adventures. Last year we did an exchange with some of the members. One woman created an Etui. Participants CQ'd specific areas of the Etui as the project was sent from person to person.

One year, participants exchanged Christmas Tree ornaments and one of them was a double sided woman's bustier and the other side was a gentleman's vest. Very clever.

Thank you for the link. I will check it out as soon as I can.

Have you heard of Allie Aller? She is very well known in the CQ world. She has a very inexpensive class on Craftsy. Check it out if you have the time. I enrolled in this class and really learned a lot.

Of course, the women on this site are so helpful and have tons of experience. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone will have the answer or direct you to a web site that does.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 70
Brenda replied on Sun, Sep 6 2015 8:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

I have a couple of Allie Aller's books, and I took her class on Craftsy. I reread her Crazy Quilting periodically and always pick up something new. Her quilts leave me speechless, just so imaginative and gorgeous.

I've taken a few classes at Craftsy and always think what a great deal it is. The classes and supplies are on sale this weekend-I've been debating between a class on ribbon embroidery, and another bead embroidery class. As I wrote that I decided to sign up for the ribbon embroidery class. In the free class I'm taking from Kathy Shaw, my current task is silk ribbon embroidered irises, and it's slow going. Is there some sort of trick to SRE? My flowers always look skinny and twisted, just basically sad. I've been practicing the irises, and my sixth one looks as bad as my first. No learning seems to be occurring :) I'll keep after it, eventually it's got to get better, doesn't it?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 12 2015 2:48 PM

Hi, Brenda.  Welcome! Looking forward to seeing where crazy quilting takes you.  I learned a lot from Kathy Shaw, too.  I love her stitch diagrams.  Once I saw Allie Aller and Betty Pillsbury, I knew what kind of crazy quilting I wanted to do.  I will always love applique.  I love to embroider, too.  Seemed like a perfect transition for me to head toward CQ.  Then I started with beads on the CQs and now I am as much into making jewelry as I am into sewing.  

As a group we've done more crazy quilting than anything.  The projects we've done as a group have been small ones, like ornaments, wall hangings and we've done a couple of round robins.  Sometimes there's a fine line between art quilts and crazy quilts.  We were just the crazy quilt group, but the art quilt group lost it's leader and the powers that be decided to combine that group with the CQ group.  That's were the name came from.  I think it takes much of the same mind and creative bent to do both.  

I love crazy quilting because of the liberty it gives my creative spirit.  I love to embellish.  The quilting world sure has come a long way since we started, hasn't it?  Before there were such hard and fast rules, but now it's more like you're only limited by your imagination.  I mean the basics will always be there...1/4" seam, grain, etc., but it's certainly not just about cotton any more.  

This year's been a little tough to most of our members, mostly with health related challenges.  We were going to do a Christmas project, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.  Some of us are still recovering.  I've been fighting a torn rotator cuff tendon most of the year.  I'm finally having surgery on the 16th to fix it, so I won't be sewing anything for a few months.  It's been one of those years.  When I can sew again it's going to be hard to make me do much else, lol.

Feel free to post in the My Day 4 thread.  It's where we tell our daily stuff.  We love pictures, so post when you want.  Feel free to make suggestions, too.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,271
Points 45,375
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 12 2015 3:11 PM

Hi Brenda and welcome.  I love hand sewing and embroidery so I love to crazy quilt.  This group creates different projects and will post pictures.  We have done some round robins and these ladies do some beautiful work!  We also get to know each other on a more personal level.  I hope you enjoy our group.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,757
Points 120,645
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 12 2015 3:23 PM

Brenda:
Is there some sort of trick to SRE?
 One thing about it is that too much tension is a killer.  Think of it as you are just laying the silk ribbon on the top, not sewing with it.  If you worry that it won't be secure you can take a couple of tack stitches from the back.  It also helps if you have some sort of laying tool and work in a hoop that allows you to use both hands.  With ribbon it works better if you don't do "scoop" stitches, that is, like when you do a running stitch with thread.  Silk ribbon is so delicate, it's easy to bugger it up.  It takes a lot of practice, for sure, but the results can be so amazing.  There are lots of good tutorials on You Tube.  Have faith.  It does get better in time.  Mercy, you're making me want to sew, lol.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 467
Points 29,295

Hi Brenda and welcome.

I am an avid lurker.  I read the  posts and wish I could reply more than I am able.

I am one of those in the group that Linny mentioned who was hit but health issues this year and I am finally feeling better.  Now all I want to do is create and so it is hard for me to take time to sit at the computer to post.  I get sucked in when I turn on the computer and then it is much longer before I return to my current projects.  Yes, projects.  I believe I have a touch of ADD and some days I flit from one project to another, not finishing anything but then get inspired to begin something new.  Vicious circle.

I recently purchased an interesting book by Christen Brown titled "Embroidered & Embellished"  It is a wonderful resource and has inspired me to want to get back to the embellishing part of CQ.  Most of my work is unadorned.  I do  a lot of baby quilts and don't embellish because I feel it is better without for babies.

As Linny has mentioned, most of our posts are in the "My Day" thread.  Hope to see you there and can't wait to see pictures of what you are working on.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2018 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.