Hoping to make my dream quilt with a little advice :-)

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675
Beastsgirl Posted: Sat, Aug 16 2014 12:31 PM

Not sure if this is the right way to post questions here but I thought if it wasn't correct someone would tell me :-) I asked this question on the main forum and one of the lovely ladies there directed me here so I hope someone can give me some tips and advice.

I'm really interesting in learning more about making an art quilt. I'd really like to be able to tell the story of our trips to the U.S in a quilt. Florida is like a second home to me and I am keen to include all the things I love about it in my quilt. Can anyone suggest any good resources for info on art quilts or give me any advice on where to start with designing something like this. It all seems very complicated to me

Thank you so much
Hayley xx
  • Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 5:29 PM

Hi Hayley,

There are so many ways to go about making an art quilt. Are you thinking of incorporating pictures? Maybe you could tell us more of your vision for this,  or if you have a sketch we could help more. I searched the web for you, and the processes are all so unique it's hard to know what's best to refer you too. 

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Hi Stephanie, 

Thank you for your reply. As you may know from my previous posts I am from the UK but my family and I are frequent visitors to the US. I have family in Florida and feel like every time we come back to the UK I leave a tiny piece of my heart there. Anyway I have this idea of making a quilt that incorporates all the things I love best about Florida, family, Sarasota, Disney, manatees, late nights, lazy mornings, special memories etc. almost like a collage with scenes or important memories depicted. I want to add embellishments and texture to the quilt to make it unique and I also want to try to put photos on the back as part of the backing fabric. I'm not sure how this will work but I have all these ideas in my head but I am not sure how to transfer the image in my head into a quilt. 

Thank you once again

Hayley xx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 4:28 AM

You have some great ideas. The first place I'd start is with some sketches, and resources.  If you put those thoughts on paper as drawings of even rough sketches it will be easier to visualize.  What size do you have in mind?  

I have a link to utube videos that have lots of info and visual processes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcN1v8sVD-Y  

Quilting arts magazine is another wonderful resource. I just bought a cd of all the mag's from 2001 to 2010 for around $5.00 on sale.  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,835
lilliepad replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 6:01 AM

Haley-you might want to search YouTube for videos on art quilt tips and techniques. I just search there and there are a ton of them. Also try Pinterest.com. They always have tons of photos for ideas. And I think they might also have some tutorials. Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675
Beastsgirl replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 11:18 AM

Thanks Stephanie, 

I have watched the video and it has certainly given me a starting point. I have so many ideas in my head it's nice to have a plan now to start getting it down on paper. 

Watch this space for progress updates :-) 

Hayley xx

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675
Beastsgirl replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 11:19 AM

Thank you so much, I will be chalking out both those places to try to get this project up and running. You guys have been a real help 

Hayley xx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,312
Points 113,560
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:36 PM

Hi, Hayley.  Welcome to our group.  Hope you visit often.  We chat in the thread named My Day3.  You can learn a lot from these ladies just by joining in the chat and reading the posts.

What part of Florida do you visit?  There are 3, including me that are in this group and live in Florida.  Stephanie is South Florida, Robin is North Florida and I'm in Central Florida.  Chances are you're close to one of us when you visit.  The idea of capturing your favorite Florida memories in a quilt is lovely.

For your dream quilt, you might also find it useful to search for "memory quilt".  With any out of the ordinary quilt, it's important to have an idea of what you'd like.  A good way to find that is see what others have done.  My advise to start with is to sketch out your ideas and make a plan.  Without a plan it's easy to get lost in such a project and not know what comes next.

A couple of questions for you.  How big will the quilt be?  Will this be a quilt that will be used as a quilt, or will it be a wall hanging?  Will you be attaching memorabilia to it and what kind, if you do?  I really like the idea of the photos on the back.  There are lots of products available for printing pics on fabric.  I've done some of that and have found that it's important to follow the directions for setting the ink after printing. 

Linny T

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Hi Linny,

Thank you for the welcome :-) 

I have family in Orlando so we mostly visit in or around there although we have stayed at Sarasota a few times too. I love it so much there. 

I am thinking that I would like a large throw sized quilt that can be used in my lounge room. We have some pretty chilly evenings here and I usually like to have a throw to curl up under. I think if it was a wall hanging you would only get to see one side of the quilt so there wouldn't be any point in putting photos on the other side. I would like to attach memorabilia to it, I think in the form of fabric from favourite clothes that the kids have out grown and maybe some buttons that I have. I'm not totally sure about that part yet though. I need to marry all the parts together so they create a cohesive image that is not just a series of objects that are plonked together. I really want it to to be one scene but with lots of different aspects all depicting my love of Florida. The thing is some of the things do not belong together but I think I could put them together in a scene on the quilt without it looking too silly. For example manatees and roller coasters do not really go together but if I had a manatee in the foreground in a river type scene, then in the background of the quilt  a silhouette of a roller coaster. I think that might look ok, what do you think. It's a bit of a conundrum really I have lots to include but I don't want to overwhelm it so it looks a mess. Your opinion would be much appreciated. I hope this makes sense it's very late here and I think I may be rambling!!

Thanks

Hayley xx

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Beastsgirl:

I would like to attach memorabilia to it, I think in the form of fabric from favourite clothes that the kids have out grown and maybe some buttons that I have. I'm not totally sure about that part yet though. I need to marry all the parts together so they create a cohesive image that is not just a series of objects that are plonked together. I really want it to to be one scene but with lots of different aspects all depicting my love of Florida. The thing is some of the things do not belong together but I think I could put them together in a scene on the quilt without it looking too silly. For example manatees and roller coasters do not really go together but if I had a manatee in the foreground in a river type scene, then in the background of the quilt  a silhouette of a roller coaster. I think that might look ok, what do you think. It's a bit of a conundrum really I have lots to include but I don't want to overwhelm it so it looks a mess. Your opinion would be much appreciated. I hope this makes sense it's very late here and I think I may be rambling!!

Thanks

HI Hayley.  I am Darlene and I have done a memory quilt for my son when he graduated from high school three years ago.  I tried to post to this earlier but my post was extremely large because I copied and pasted from my favorites.  The post is waiting approval and may not ever appear. If you go to the media section of this group, on pages 10 and 11 you will find some closeups of the sections I did for his quilt.  There are also some total quilt pictures.

I did several themes and joined the blocks into sections and then put them together.  I had some t-shirts which I used as the beginning of a block and stitched around them.  I foundation pieced it all on old sheets cut slightly larger than the finished size of the block.  My blocks were 15 inches once joined, cut to 15.5.  I don't think I would do them that big if I were doing it today.

I used fabric paints to write on the quilt and it has held up well but if I were to do this today, I would have started the quilt sooner and I would have hand stitched rather than the fabric paint.  I believe that it would have made it more personal but I let time get away from me and there wasn't time to do it right by hand.

I gathered several "Kyle-isms" from his former teachers and from family and friends.  I put them into sections where appropriate.  This helped explain some of the blocks and were fun at his party for everyone to look at.  We hung his quilt from the rafters of the pavilion we used for his party.  Everyone had fun "reading" the quilt.  If I had hand stitched, it might not have been as easy to read.

I really like the idea of your quilt and think you will do great with it.  A "map" is a good place to start.

If you have any questions, you can usually find me in the "My Day 3" posts.  I would love to help and encourage you any way that I can.

This group is a wonderful resource and a great group to cheer you on as you go.

Best of luck during this project.

Darlene

from Western New York

Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 675

Hi Darlene,

Thank you so much for your advice. I had not thought of a map that is a brilliant idea.  I have a lot of ideas now and I am going to make a sketch and go from there.

I will definitely go and look at the pics of your quilt. It sounds amazing and I will be sure to find you if I get stuck. 

Thank you once again

Hayley xx

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use