rated by 0 users
This post has 4,632 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 2:48 PM

Robin:
I've been up for awhile but just been messing around on the Florida Retirement System trying to get a handle on my options.  I will reach my thirty years in about 3 years so I want to start figuring if I'm going or staying.   Some days I shake my head and think "how much longer?" and then there are moments like yesterday when several students said such nice stuff about it being obvious that I still care that you think "they do get it !".    Even with 30 in at the age of 52 I will still have to work somewhere.   I guess I'll work 3 more years and then make a decision.

That three years will fly by before you know it. Any thoughts on what you'd like to do after?   

Hope you enjoy your weekend. 

Robin:
Stephanie,  Sounds like you are going to busy with more company.  Hope you get your block done.

I'm working on some sketches today. I'm going with the scissor keeps. I'd like to plan them out like "Wild hearts" I saw that term on a crystal that was an en-longated heart.  I'll only be embellishing the fronts since I want to hang them on the wall under my counters in my sewing room. Hope to have them all together by the end of the weekend.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 4:12 PM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
Can I send it along with the Victorian block, or is that asking too much?

Oh, I was thinking more as using that for your Victorian block.  Might be a bit much to have both with working and such. 

I'm good with that. Woo hoo!  My block is ready to be mailed out.  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 6:32 PM

Lillie:
Woo hoo!  My block is ready to be mailed out.  lol

Good for you! Way to go! 

Anybody else ready to mail?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,599
Points 117,850
Linny t replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 7:33 PM

Lillie:

Stephanie:

Lillie:
Can I send it along with the Victorian block, or is that asking too much?

Oh, I was thinking more as using that for your Victorian block.  Might be a bit much to have both with working and such. 

I'm good with that. Woo hoo!  My block is ready to be mailed out.  lol

Cool, now you just have your journal, lucky girl.  Do you have any designs for how you want it done?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,183
Points 69,175
Robin replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:35 AM

Good Morning All,

I'm up and at it.  I'm planning on attending church and working on my block today.  I had to go to Valdosta yesterday and buy the stuff I needed for the lunch on Thursday so not much time for sewing.  I did how pick up a few fabrics that I think are going to help me with some of the problems I'm having with my block.   

Here's hoping for a bright, happy and peaceful Sunday.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 8:39 AM

Linny t:

Cool, now you just have your journal, lucky girl.  Do you have any designs for how you want it done?

I have no idea what I want done on these blocks. This is the Allie Aller blocks and I have been struggling with what to put on them. I'm trying to stay with colors that are in the fabrics rather than bright colors. I'm guessing whatever anyone wants to do is fine with me. I'm just going to leave it as far as I've gone and let everyone embellish as they like.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,599
Points 117,850
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:11 AM

Good Happy Sunday, everyone.  Hope everyone is well.

I've been working on my patch pattern all morning and have a final sketch.  Next I'm off to buy printer ink so I can print it onto pattern template material - probably freezer paper.  I'm still thinking on that one.  I also played with my fabrics some more and have them sorted to 4 piles - one for each season.  I'm well on my way and feel it's doable by the 2/1 deadline to be in the mail....I hope, I hope, I hope.  

Lillie, do you think you could re-post the pic of the block you're sending in the gallery?  Thanks.

Robin, I hope the fabrics you got yesterday grease your creative wheel and your block comes together like butter.  

Everyone doing the RR - I'm starting a separate thread for Victorian Charm later today where we can post pics and talk about the project.  I need to get my shopping done so I still have time to print when I get home.

Hope you all have a glorious day!

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 12:00 PM

Linny t:

Lillie, do you think you could re-post the pic of the block you're sending in the gallery?  Thanks.

OK I uploaded it to media. But here it is also.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,599
Points 117,850
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 2:38 PM

Thanks, Lillie. It sure is pretty.  I see you've embellished it some already.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 4:36 PM

Yes Lillie. It's so pretty. I just love those fabrics! It'll be a lot of fun to add to.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 4:44 PM

Linny t:
I've been working on my patch pattern all morning and have a final sketch.  Next I'm off to buy printer ink so I can print it onto pattern template material - probably freezer paper.  I'm still thinking on that one.  I also played with my fabrics some more and have them sorted to 4 piles - one for each season.  I'm well on my way and feel it's doable by the 2/1 deadline to be in the mail....I hope, I hope, I hope.

Soiunds awesome Linny. You've made great progress this weekend.

I'm about in the same place as you. Have my design, everything mapped out, fabrics picked out and now it's just a matter of cutting them out and piecing them together. I'm real happy with the lines on one, and not so thrilled about number two. Haven't decided if I'll use the same pattern for both, or change it up. The fabrics may change it enough.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,212
Points 44,195
Diane replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 5:19 PM

Your blocks are gorgeous Lillie.  Lots of potential there.    

Robin, I know what you mean about putting your blocks together.  It took me a couple of days of hard work to get my 2 together.  I had to do it right away because 1 was for the RR I forgot about.  Crazy quilting is just crazy!  lol

I am still trying to finish the pink block---too many distractions.  I am getting it done though.  It's always such a relief to get the block in the mail.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 6:00 PM

It's been a fun day. As you can see by the above post, I too am well on my way to having the preliminaries of my scissor keep blocks done. Basically at this stage they are two large enlongated hearts made into cq blocks. Maybe a bit more symmetrical than a typical cq block, but it meshes well with the vision in my head. LOL. Must be in matchy mode right now, probably a result of having to match the book keeping figures to my bank statements fo taxes. Gotta just go with the flow sometimes. LOL

Mike and I took a time out for installing the microwave that's been taking up a llot of counter space. Hallelujah!!!! Naturally the old one wasn't set up the same, and I had to re hang a new bracket and drill brand new holes for the cord and screws. Thank the Lord I had the where with all to check the template before I started making holes because the printing of it wasn't even close to where the holes needed to be drilled for the cord and mounting holes. Evn in the spanish reverse it was still off. I'll be sure and leave a comment about it on Best Buy's site. This one weighed 65 pounds and I would have been so mad to have had to help load it up there and find all the holes wrong and have to bring it back down and do three more in the cabinet above.

And speaking of having it all installed, while I was sitting here typing I had put some wild rice into cook and caught it on fire. I had it on the stove and followed the cooking directions and it was hard as a rock. Ick. So I put it in the microwave and set the time too long and it was billowing smoke. Mike's madder than a hornet.Oh my! Smoke alarms going off and smoke everywhere! Maybe I can ust it as an excuse not to cook. LOL. More likely he'll tell me I need to spend less time on my projects. Either way, it was an accident. I'm still getting used to having the extra wattage, and I have never cooked this kind of rice before. 

Hope you all have had a great day. I have some clean up to do.....    

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,599
Points 117,850
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 8:04 PM

In case anyone is looking for Victorian clip art, or if you just like to look at antique pics, I found a lovely site.  It's Bumble Button.  She has a real passion for collecting.

Here's another site that is indexed really well.   Antique Images

I went to print the images I had picked out and found that they just wouldn't work together.  So, it was back to the search for the perfect silky image, lol.  I was so overwhelmed until I found these 2 sites.  Hopefully now I can print my silkies.  I bet all together I've put about 16 hours into searching for images.  Unbelievable!  I just want to print the darn things and get on with it, lol.  Too many choices for a woman like me.

Stephanie, you are a died in the wool, true DIYer.  You're smart about it, too.  I wouldn't have checked the template and that microwave would still be on my counter.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,183
Points 69,175
Robin replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 6:18 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Merry Monday to you all.

Went to church yesterday and had a great service.  There was a local gospel group there and they say ole' time hymns it was wonderful.  Many of the songs were ones I knew from my childhood.  The lady who leads our singing very rarely chose any of those for us to sing.  She always choose things that are difficult to sing.  Last week she chose one that no one in the congregation the pastor thanked her for singing an extra solo.  She a music professor at a local college and I guess the ole' time hymns just don't appeal to her taste in music. However, we have a pianist who loves them and she plays them before church starts and during the offertory.   I could listen to her play all day.

Today is a holiday at school, however, the students and I are going in for a little while to see if we can make some progress on their State Competitive Events.  But that's just half the day.  They other half will be spent working on my block.   I finally have all to the pieces cut and sort of in place. I figure if I don't like it after I stitch them down I'll start over.  Really struggling with making my concept come to life.   I'll post it when I'm finished but it is suppose to focus on a Victorian Garden.   It has one piece of Alaska Fabric it in.  The piece is called Aurora Borealis.   So the title is the Aurora Borealis Garden.

Linny,   I'm glad you posted the date for mailing I thought it was the 26th so I'm grateful for a few extra days.  Hope your design comes together.

Stephanie,  I hope you got to spend some more time working on your block after the rice situation.

Lillie,  Your blocks are so beautiful.  I love the color palette.  I just hope my work will be as delicate as your block.

Diane,  I hope you got to make it to church yesterday.  Your goal has inspire me to work on my church attendance.  Thank you!

Darlene,  I hope you'll post some of Valentine Projects.  I would love to see them.  

Have you ever made the woven hearts.  They're easy to do and so cute filled with goodies.   I thought they may play well with the sweet shop. http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=2186476817&blog=3940872&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdW1wZXJmZWN0YW5kbWUuYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY29tLzIwMTQvMDEvYnVybGFwLXdvdmVuLWhlYXJ0LWJhc2tldC5odG1s&frame_type=fb

This one is done with burlap but I've done them with fabric.  I've taking two pieces of fabric and put it together with wonder under or some product like that.   They're great for filling with little candies and such.  I'm thinking they would be super cute as a child's Valentine.  Anyway just a thought.

Have a terrific Monday everyone,   To day is your day, make it a great one!

Robin

Page 60 of 309 (4633 items) «Prev5859606162Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.