My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,739 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 6:47 PM

Linny--On Ebay, shipping from China is usually free.  The buttons are coming from Reno.  They are coming by USPS Priority mail.  I was supposed to get them today---I hope to get them tomorrow.  

That's funny how you can fall in love with a button and order the full basket.  It's happened to me.  ESD sent me an online catalog so I'll check it out even though I've ordered my max this month.

It's 76 in my bedroom now.  I hope I can keep it there tonight.  That's a good temp for me.  It's 34 now outside.  It was so cold when I got up this morning, then I realized the heat was off.  In this weather!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693

Lillie:

After many hours of surfing, this is the angel tree topper I purchased. All the other ones I found online were cheap looking. This one is classical in appearance, which it what I was looking for in an angel.

http://store.metmuseum.org/holiday/angel-christmas-tree-topper/invt/80019522#.Us7CsdJdX1E 

Really pretty Lillie. Classical and when I see the reds like her shawl it reminds me of Renaissance paintings. She'll be a beauty on your tree top.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693

Linny t:
Stephanie, you amaze me with the depth of your knowledge.

Thank you so much. When we started adding cabinets and furniture to our "specialty" painting years ago, we "had" to know what would hold up and last.  Fortunately, as time has passed they are coming up with more and more really hard "water based" polyurethanes that are proving themselves as well. Easier on the lungs, and the environment.....   Most importantly, I don't want to put anything on someone's house or furniture that I wouldn't do in my house. We want it to last, A dying breed for sure.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Thu, Jan 9 2014 7:47 PM

Wow--the ESD stuff is really nice--the button and laces as well as the fabrics.  Great prices too!  

The lizards are doing well.  The male, Guido, is free to run about the apt because I had him in a tank and he clawed to get out for weeks.  I finally gave him a corner in my bedroom where he sleeps at night on a heating pad under a table and has a heat lamp for the daytime.  He is much happier.  He spent several hours at the window today and fell asleep.  Then, like a baby, I put him in his "bed room".  That's the routine! LOL

The female, Nelly, is satisfied to stay in her tank.  Sometimes the male "talks" to her for a while where there is a lot of head bobbing and staring.  I don't know what they are saying to each other but it goes on for awhile.

The baby, Travis, is in the largest tank.  He has very little interest in getting out.  I hold him every few days.  He is still sweet and concentrating on eatings  lot of crickets and growing up.  He is no longer scared of his parents.  I think they are getting used to him and are not sending him "bad vibes" where he would jump around and be scared.  He likes to watch TV all day which is usually on CNN.  He's getting a good education.

They keep me busy and I love them.  So lucky to have them!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693

Diane:
I have a little cotton lace angel that is stiff so it can sit on top of the tree and you can put a light in it.  It's only 5" tall which is great for my 3' fiber optic tree, which I love.  I got my tree at CVS for $15 after christmas one year.  It's nice to be satisfied with small things.

In 2009, a year after the housing market crashed, we weren't going to put up a tree. Dollars were more than tight, and it was the last thing on the list. We have a good friend, one of those  character's in life that "Celebrate's Life" in doing everything he can to bring a smile. His mom developed pancreatic cancer when he was in High School, and to cheer her up he went into the hospital in costume. Crazy, fun, "Patch Adams" kind of fellow. Anyway, Mike was just talking to him on the phone that year, and the conversation of decorations came up and he said we were going to forego the tree that year...

God love him, don't you know, he shows up as Santa with this little tree in tow. Braved his allergies to pets, and came in to make sure we put it up. We put that tree up this year. It's about 4 ft high tops, but the memories shared are pricele

Diane:
Also I ordered a tin of antique/vintage buttons from EBAY which cost $12.95.   I didn't see that the shipping was $16.95!!!  I clicked on "commit to buy" by mistake.  I don't know what was wrong with me!!!  I found out that if I just ignored the bill, the charge would just go away.  I paid for it.  What a rip off.  I usually pay much better attention but not that day. :o(  I am anxious to see what they look like.  They look good in the pic.  I can't send them back because I will never get the $16.95 back.  You would think that at my age I wouldn't be making stupid mistakes but I guess it never ends. lol
ss.

Don't feel bad, I got sheistered a time or two. One pic had this huge picture of flowing buttons dumped out of a big container. The fine. very fine print after reading through paragraphs of stuff was that the bid was for a really small baggie of buttons, and the shipping way too high. I left it on their feedback, how deceiving it was. I've made enough purchased over the years on there to be able to leave a negative feedback. Most have been great though, we just have to be on our toes.  

I had to cancel my order from Di Van Niekerk. Really disappointed, but I've been waiting since Dec. 23rd  for them to get back from vacation, and then got an email that it may take another 2 weeks if they had to order threads. And then to ship, and I hadn't found out the price for that yet and how long it would take. I'm just not that patient.... Maybe another time.... You'll have to post a pic of your new stash...

Diane:
Today in my building, the is only cold water and no heat.  They have plumbing problems sometimes but the heat is never a problem.  It's 37 degrees outside.  Good thing my babies have heat lamps.  It's 75 in my bedroom.  I have the oven on low with the door open about 3".  When they turn it back on it will be a heat blast again like it can get in here.

Thank goodness you have those heat lamps! Keep the babies warm, and you too. 

Diane:
Have you been working lately with the weather and season?

Oh yes. Semi outside dealing with the elements. Finished a Faux. Walls over glazed with a golden yellow. Now doing an antiquing on some chairs with distress marks and worm holes. White base with a glaze that gives some aging and depth to it.  Good money, but crazy hours in working with the elements, and condo schedule for workers.  Could use a day of sunshine to boost me out of that SAD.....and wanting to hibernate. LOL

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,845
Points 60,910
Robin replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 5:36 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

I hope this Morning fines you full of the peace that passes all understanding.  

School is up and running and things are going like usual.  We had a parent's night last night had about 10 parents.  And the world wonders what is wrong with kids.  Why parents think that teenagers are grown and don't need their help is beyond me.

Stephanie,   Thanks for the information.  I'll put it on my list.  I'm not sure if they'll listen to me or not but the big boss (superintendent) told me to plan my dream room and I'm going to give it my best shot.

Lillie,  Your angel is very beautiful.  She looks like she will herald in the season beautifully.

Diane,  Your luck is bound to take a turn at some point now.  I mean with the tooth, the shipping and the heat you are due a bit of good.  Hope it comes soon.

Linny, I hope your week is going well and that you will have an enjoyable weekend.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 324
Points 8,785

Good Morning Ladies,

I love your angel, Lillie.  I heard/read that they weren't making tree toppers anymore, but I guess that is not so every place.

Diane, I have to ask.........where does Guido go to the bathroom? 

Stephanie, I too am impressed with all your knowledge.

Robin, it is terrible that people don't take more of an interest in their children. 

Linny, how is Barb doing?              

Darlene, it seems so long ago that I shoveled snow or pulled weeds and I used to love to work outside. Keep moving; don't sit down and get lazy like I did. I have my doubts that I will ever be able to walk good. When I was younger (50/60) I used to think, " I can't wait till I am retired so that I can sew all that I want."     I didn't realize that I would give up my walking in the process.   Oh well, I could have a lot bigger problems than that.     Hugs, Jo

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 7:26 AM

Diane:

That is a lovely angel, Lillie.  I have a little cotton lace angel that is stiff so it can sit on top of the tree and you can put a light in it.  It's only 5" tall which is great for my 3' fiber optic tree, which I love.  I got my tree at CVS for $15 after christmas one year.  It's nice to be satisfied with small things.

Your angel sounds perfect Diane. If I could have found a shorter one I would have purchased that instead of the 12" angel. Our tree is only 6.5-ft tall. It looks kind of lonely sometimes as the ceiling in that room goes all the way to the second story. But I wanted something I could reach the top of without having to get a ladder out every year. It's just the two of us and we really didn't need anything taller than that. Beside, I have the rest of the downstairs decorated like a Christmas store.  lol

Diane:
That doesn't work with crazy quilting supplies.  I put in another order for more sparkly trims, butterfly buttons, and silk ribbon from---not ESD but the other one. Can't remember the name.  Also I ordered a tin of antique/vintage buttons from EBAY which cost $12.95.   I didn't see that the shipping was $16.95!!!  I clicked on "commit to buy" by mistake.  I don't know what was wrong with me!!!  I found out that if I just ignored the bill, the charge would just go away.  I paid for it.  What a rip off.  I usually pay much better attention but not that day. :o(  I am anxious to see what they look like.  They look good in the pic.  I can't send them back because I will never get the $16.95 back.  You would think that at my age I wouldn't be making stupid mistakes but I guess it never ends. lol

The other day I was using my new laptop and I ordered something online for us. I used the arrow key to move down the page and it somehow clicked on 2nd day air delivery. I didn't notice it until I looked at the emailed receipt. $31.76  YIKES!!!

Diane:
Today in my building, the is only cold water and no heat.  They have plumbing problems sometimes but the heat is never a problem.  It's 37 degrees outside.  Good thing my babies have heat lamps.  It's 75 in my bedroom.  I have the oven on low with the door open about 3".  When they turn it back on it will be a heat blast again like it can get in here.

What a bummer about your heat. Hope they get it fixed soon for you and the babies.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 7:33 AM

Diane:

I remember---I ordered from "Flights of Fancy"  It's ESD that's going out of business.

OMG Diane! What a great shop. I've bookmarked it.  And here I thought I was finished buying "stuff."  lol

northern colorado

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 130
Points 23,435

Norma Doll:

Darlene, it seems so long ago that I shoveled snow or pulled weeds and I used to love to work outside. Keep moving; don't sit down and get lazy like I did. I have my doubts that I will ever be able to walk good. When I was younger (50/60) I used to think, " I can't wait till I am retired so that I can sew all that I want."     I didn't realize that I would give up my walking in the process.   Oh well, I could have a lot bigger problems than that.     Hugs, Jo

Jo, thank you for your words of encouragement.  I have always tried to live by the philosophy of "use it or lose it".  This has not always been easy but I truly believe it.

Yesterday I went to my MILs to assist her with some "light" cleaning.  I ended up taking four (4) bags of garbage to the trash room which at the far extreme from where her apartment is in her senior housing.  I also dusted, swept, mopped floors and cleaned the bathroom.  With some visiting time because she was severely lonely, I spent six (6) hours with her.  Much longer than planned but I do not regret it.  She needs more time and I will have to find a way to make that happen for her.

During the two days I was "stranded" at home during our "blizzard" [which wasn't much of a blizzard, in my humble opinion] I had been craving homemade chicken soup.  I had the chicken but no veggies to put it in.  Thus, no soup during those cold days when it would have really been good.  So when I got done at MILs, I stopped at grocery store on way home.  I picked up my veggies and a package of drumsticks to add to the chicken breast in my freezer.  Also grabbed some basic staples and came home.

One of the staples was a 25 lb. bag of cat litter.  I usually buy the litter in a 30 pound pail but the store no longer carries this packaging and the bag was the best buy.  I lifted the bag into the cart, out of the cart and onto the belt at the register, out of the cart and into the car.  When I came home, I asked Kyle to carry it in.  I had lifted this bag enough [or so I thought].  He went to the car to carry it in and when he got to the house, he called out to me to take it so he wouldn't have to take off his boots or track slush across the kitchen floor.  I took it from him and put it in the pantry.  Unfortunately, when I dropped it on the floor, it hit something and put a hole in the bottom of the bag.  What a mess.  I was in the middle of making dinner and preparing soup to simmer, so I couldn't clean it up right away.  Stedman, the cat, kept going into the pantry and playing in that pile of litter.  I am sure he thought he had a new litter box in the form of my pantry floor.  Quite the challenge to keep him away while I finished cooking so that I could clean it up.

Really got my work out yesterday.  Today will be all about sewing and laundry.  I am working on some Valentine's table toppers.  There is a new bakery in town which also serves lunch.  The owner saw my things at a holiday event and said she would be interested in putting some of my things in her shop to sell.  I hope to have a good selection to take to her tomorrow to see if they meet her expectations.  I will post pics [if my camera wants to sync with the computer] when I am done.

Hope you all have a good day.  Off to the dungeon I must go.  [we are back to calling it the dungeon.  The wall of snow around the foundation is acting like insulation and it is probably 10-15 degrees warmer down there right now.  Won't last because tomorrow it is supposed to be 50 and it will melt.  Then I will be mopping water and freezing again.  Oh well![

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:23 AM

Diane:

The lizards are doing well.  The male, Guido, is free to run about the apt because I had him in a tank and he clawed to get out for weeks.  I finally gave him a corner in my bedroom where he sleeps at night on a heating pad under a table and has a heat lamp for the daytime.  He is much happier.  He spent several hours at the window today and fell asleep.  Then, like a baby, I put him in his "bed room".  That's the routine! LOL

The female, Nelly, is satisfied to stay in her tank.  Sometimes the male "talks" to her for a while where there is a lot of head bobbing and staring.  I don't know what they are saying to each other but it goes on for awhile.

The baby, Travis, is in the largest tank.  He has very little interest in getting out.  I hold him every few days.  He is still sweet and concentrating on eatings  lot of crickets and growing up.  He is no longer scared of his parents.  I think they are getting used to him and are not sending him "bad vibes" where he would jump around and be scared.  He likes to watch TV all day which is usually on CNN.  He's getting a good education.

They keep me busy and I love them.  So lucky to have them!

Diane, I love your "Dragon Tales".  So cute about you carrying Guido to bed like a toddler.  Funny how Travis likes to watch TV all day.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:27 AM

Norma Doll:
Linny, how is Barb doing?      
 Thanks for asking, Jo.  Barb is good.  Her hair finally started growing back in and it's almost white in a stripe on the top of her head and dark like black all around the rest of her head.  We started calling her Pepe le Pew because she said she looks like a skunk, lol.  She goes on the 15th for another PET scan, so we'll know hopefully by the end of the week if there have been any changes.  She says she doesn't have any new symptoms, so that's good.  We all just keep praying...

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:29 AM

Stephanie:

In 2009, a year after the housing market crashed, we weren't going to put up a tree. Dollars were more than tight, and it was the last thing on the list. We have a good friend, one of those  character's in life that "Celebrate's Life" in doing everything he can to bring a smile. His mom developed pancreatic cancer when he was in High School, and to cheer her up he went into the hospital in costume. Crazy, fun, "Patch Adams" kind of fellow. Anyway, Mike was just talking to him on the phone that year, and the conversation of decorations came up and he said we were going to forego the tree that year...

God love him, don't you know, he shows up as Santa with this little tree in tow. Braved his allergies to pets, and came in to make sure we put it up. We put that tree up this year. It's about 4 ft high tops, but the memories shared are pricele

Your friend sounds like he's a Christmas Angel...

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:38 AM

Darlene :
Yesterday I went to my MILs to assist her with some "light" cleaning.  I ended up taking four (4) bags of garbage to the trash room which at the far extreme from where her apartment is in her senior housing.  I also dusted, swept, mopped floors and cleaned the bathroom.  With some visiting time because she was severely lonely, I spent six (6) hours with her.  Much longer than planned but I do not regret it.  She needs more time and I will have to find a way to make that happen for her.

You're still a caregiver, aren't you?  Always going the extra mile.

Darlene :
One of the staples was a 25 lb. bag of cat litter.  I usually buy the litter in a 30 pound pail but the store no longer carries this packaging and the bag was the best buy.  I lifted the bag into the cart, out of the cart and onto the belt at the register, out of the cart and into the car.  When I came home, I asked Kyle to carry it in.  I had lifted this bag enough [or so I thought].  He went to the car to carry it in and when he got to the house, he called out to me to take it so he wouldn't have to take off his boots or track slush across the kitchen floor.  I took it from him and put it in the pantry.  Unfortunately, when I dropped it on the floor, it hit something and put a hole in the bottom of the bag.  What a mess.  I was in the middle of making dinner and preparing soup to simmer, so I couldn't clean it up right away.  Stedman, the cat, kept going into the pantry and playing in that pile of litter.  I am sure he thought he had a new litter box in the form of my pantry floor.  Quite the challenge to keep him away while I finished cooking so that I could clean it up.
 Mercy, I hate when that happens.  I've gotten the kind in the large plastic jug, but I only got it once and I keep putting whatever new one I get in the container because it's so much easier for me to handle.  I've had mishaps, too, and it seems I'm finding little pieces of it for weeks afterwards.  

Darlene :
Today will be all about sewing and laundry.  I am working on some Valentine's table toppers.  There is a new bakery in town which also serves lunch.  The owner saw my things at a holiday event and said she would be interested in putting some of my things in her shop to sell.  I hope to have a good selection to take to her tomorrow to see if they meet her expectations.  I will post pics [if my camera wants to sync with the computer] when I am done.
 That's right.  Valentines is just around the corner, isn't it.  I bet they'll sell good in a bakery.  When people buy sweets for their sweetheart, they can round the gift off with a pretty table topper.  Hope your camera decides to sync.

Darlene :
Off to the dungeon I must go.  [we are back to calling it the dungeon.  The wall of snow around the foundation is acting like insulation and it is probably 10-15 degrees warmer down there right now.  Won't last because tomorrow it is supposed to be 50 and it will melt.  Then I will be mopping water and freezing again.  Oh well![
 I'd say Spring is just around the corner, but it seems like Springtime to you might be a mixed blessing.  At least you know what to expect and can prepare for it.  That's amazing about the snow making it warmer.

Good luck in the dungeon...

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 10 2014 11:45 AM

Robin:
I hope this Morning fines you full of the peace that passes all understanding.  
 I love the verse that says this.  I hope the same for you.

Robin:
We had a parent's night last night had about 10 parents.  And the world wonders what is wrong with kids.  Why parents think that teenagers are grown and don't need their help is beyond me.
 It'd be interesting to see what becomes of those 10 students who's parents took the trouble to show up.  I bet they fare better in life.

Robin:
Linny, I hope your week is going well and that you will have an enjoyable weekend.
 Was this the longest work week you've had in a while?  It seemed like a month went by in these 5 days, lol.  But, it's finally TGIF and that's half over with.  This weekend Barb and I are planning to have some lunch and bum around.  I'm looking forward to it.

Linny T

Page 55 of 116 (1740 items) «Prev5354555657Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use