rated by 0 users
This post has 4,339 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 9:58 AM

Stephanie:
That's a great idea to store you pic's on google. It really bites to lose them when a crash happens on your computer. Can you access them back on your phone to show people? I need to look more into that.

Yes, you can access them on your phone to show people, if you have the access to Google+.  If you have Google on your phone, and you have a gmail.com account, you should be able to get to Google+ from the Google search page.  Just look in the upper right hand corner.  You should see the icon. Or, your phone might even have a Google+app that you can go to directly.  We use Google Chrome on our computers so everything is sync'd up.  

Glad to hear you're having some return to doing some things.  I get in the rut of just watching TV, too, but I like to do something with my hands while I do it, like embroidery, hand sewing, knitting or crocheting.  I even watch shows on my computer when I'm sewing on the machine.  Thankfully I can stop and rewind!  :)  My hand work right now is an old project that has come out occasionally for the past several years.  It's a large counted cross stitch project of some Mexican symbols, with a big bird of some kind in the middle.  I'm making it as a surprise for my son.  It's almost done, then it'll go to the frame shop.  It needs to be sealed well in a frame with glass so it won't rot too fast.  If I don't get it done soon, it'll rot right in my embroidery bag!  Lol.

Your day to day "paying job" sounds like it requires a lot of artistic creativity, too.  Right?

My next quilting project will be for my grandson, a crib quilt, which my daughter hasn't asked for, but she will like.  Right now he's very small, and still sleeping with them.  Btw, they have a special little "bed" that's just for a baby sleeping with the parents.  It goes in the big bed, and keeps the baby in place safely.  I wish something like that was available when mine were babies.  I nursed both of them, and sometimes in the bed.  I never could sleep with them there, though, because I was afraid of rolling over on them. After that I want to use up some more of my red, black, and gray fabrics to make her some place mats and potholders to match her black pottery dishes.  So, I've got plenty to keep me busy for awhile.  And, I haven't made DH's hat yet either!

I finished the log cabin potholders finally, and am posting them here.  (My first traditional quilting project in many years, so I was very out of practice.)  The first one has the dark blue binding.  That was the one I didn't do as well, because I didn't know to put in double batting, including the heat resistant batting and another layer of cotton batting.  I just put in the heat resistant one.  I read later to use both.  So, I'm using that one just for microwave stuff that's not as hot as things from the oven.  I also don't like that I didn't match up the "like" fabrics to make the right angles.  Live and learn.

I'm hoping the tests you have scheduled for Thursday really help the doctor to diagnose your problem correctly, and get you on the road to avoiding those pains again!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:18 AM

Darlene :
Donna, he has run of the entire house and plenty of places to climb as well as burrow.

It definitely sounds like Stedman has a lot of places to climb and burrow.  So, that shouldn't be causing his aggressive biting.  If my cats had a basement like that to roam around in they would really have a lot of fun.  Houston homes don't have basements because of the high water table.

Darlene :
He does see other animals outside when he sits in the windows.

Wow!  You do have a lot of animals he can see from the window.  I don't blame you for not letting him outside with the danger of the woodchucks especially.  I have friends who live where there are coyotes that come across their lawns at times, and are known for eating cats.  Needless to say, they keep their cats inside.  However, since every cat is different, and he's a male, he might just be agitated about other animals in what he considers to be "his territory," though I wouldn't know what to do about it.  In one of the "My Cat From Hell" episodes there was a family with a similar problem.  I think one of the things they ended up doing was using a sonar type apparatus to keep other animals away from the house.  It didn't bother their cat, only those that attempted to cross the barrier around the backyard.  That was the only place the cat sat to look out.  I thought about something like that one time, but my cats go in and out whenever they want.  The problem was a cat that was trying to take up here, and was fighting a lot with my male cat, Newman.  Since he was tame, we ended up trapping that cat and taking it to the Humane Society.  Hopefully he found a home.  DH and Newman didn't want another cat!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:53 AM

Stephanie:

lilliepad:
Forget the heels. GET COMFORTABLE SHOES!!!!

Amen to that. Does anyone have suggestions for brands that have some heal cushioning but still look decent. My life is spent in reeboks and half boots. 

I like the brand "Aeorsoles", and of course, SAS does have a few dressy models.  Also, I order from www.Footsmart.com sometimes.  If you're sure about your size, it's a great place to get shoes...a little expensive but very well made ones.  They have good sales, too.  I've never had a bad pair from them.  You can get all kinds of other foot care things from them, too.

I don't wear my dressier shoes much anymore now that I'm retired...just house slippers, tennis shoes, and sandals mostly.

When I think of foot pain, I think of when I was teaching. Yesterday was the first day of school here, and my first time not teaching in the Fall semester.  DH was kidding me when I got up yesterday saying "Oh, no....you're late for the first  day of school!"  I think it was Darlene that suggested to change shoes the middle of the day.  I agree.  I did that a lot, especially when I started the day off in dressier shoes with some heels.  It really worked!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,513
Points 116,355
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:53 AM

Stephanie, thanks for your sweet words and thanks for the prayers.  

I'm looking forward to this long weekend coming up.  I should have time to post a pic of the applique then.  I'd thought of planning a major project, but have decided it'd be better for me to have small, creative projects and some plain old down time for R & R.  Are you getting the day off for Labor Day or are you guys taking advantage of the day like lots of contractors do?

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:57 AM

Norma Doll:
BTY...... the surprise party was a huge success. He had no idea!  When he walked in the restaurant and saw his brothers and their wives and his daughter and her husband, as they say, "the look on his face was priceless."   Hugs, Jo

So glad to hear the surprise party went well.  That'll be a visual to remember for ever!  Well worth it.

Donna C.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,513
Points 116,355
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:57 AM

Donna C:

Donna C:
I finished the log cabin potholders finally, and am posting them here.  (My first traditional quilting project in many years, so I was very out of practice.)  The first one has the dark blue binding.  That was the one I didn't do as well, because I didn't know to put in double batting, including the heat resistant batting and another layer of cotton batting.  I just put in the heat resistant one.  I read later to use both.  So, I'm using that one just for microwave stuff that's not as hot as things from the oven.  I also don't like that I didn't match up the "like" fabrics to make the right angles.  Live and learn.

Donna, I think these are beautiful the way they are.  Log cabin is fun, but it's hard to do a whole quilt because it gets boring, I think.  These will be great for microwave potholders.  Such a good idea and wouldn't they make a nice quick gift, too?  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,513
Points 116,355
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:00 AM

Donna C:
When I think of foot pain, I think of when I was teaching. Yesterday was the first day of school here, and my first time not teaching in the Fall semester.  DH was kidding me when I got up yesterday saying "Oh, no....you're late for the first  day of school!"
 Did you feel at a loss for not being there?  After teaching for so long it must have felt odd for you.  I can hardly wait until I retire.  I am so over working for a living I can hardly stand it.  People say that I'll be bored, but I tell them I have so much on my bucket list that boredom won't come any time soon, lol.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:21 AM

Linny t:

lilliepad:

I've decided that I really don't like doing housework. What a waste of my time. Wish I could afford to hire someone to come in twice a month.

I strained my back, just a bit, when I was mopping the floors. REALLY???  I really think that in a few years I won't be able to do housework at all. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...lol

I'm right with you on the housework thing, Lillie.  There's always something that needs to be done, too.  I never get to a point where everything is where it belongs.  Just different stages of organized stuff, lol.  Some day maybe we'll be blessed with someone to do our housework...hopefully before we are confined to a home and are drooling and eating mush, lol.  Hope your back stops hurting after a good night's sleep.

I'm with you both!  I must have strained my shoulder yesterday mopping the floors, because today it's really painful.  However, there was the white cement dust everywhere!  I think I mentioned earlier last week we were having the master bedroom tub and toilet area redone.  They took out the tub and made it a big shower, and also put in a new floor and toilet.  They were here working in the house all last week.  It took me two days of dusting and sweeping before I could mop.  

It was really horrible with all the mess, and with all the pee pee accidents my little old kitty, Nabia, had.  I'm sure it was mostly because of all the upheaval.  She's very sensitive to stuff like that.  I mentioned in another post how she pees on my stepson's bed when he comes and spends the night occasionally.  So, she went overboard doing that on the paper and cloths they put down on the floors.  Luckily the guys said they could wash the cloths, and we just tore the paper up that was wet.  We never can leave anything on the floor like floor mats, blankets, or even dirty clothes without her peeing on them!  Thankfully we don't have wall to wall carpeting!  I do have a good pet odor spray to use on these accidents that can't be put in the washer or thrown away.  But, it's so aggravating!  

I thought of Diane's Tony who had to be caged because of his acting out like that.  I hope he's gotten over it by now.

Linny, I'm praying for you and Barb, too.  I'm glad you enjoyed reading the posts, and doing your applique.  Can't wait to see it!  And, don't worry about bringing us down.  You need to vent and talk about it with friends.

I enjoyed reading your posts, Lillie, about your jam that didn't set, and also being "Grumpy Gertrude."  Lol  I really can identify with that right now!   

Donna C.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 184
Points 4,170
Donna C replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:29 AM

Linny t:
Donna, I think these are beautiful the way they are.  Log cabin is fun, but it's hard to do a whole quilt because it gets boring, I think.  These will be great for microwave potholders.  Such a good idea and wouldn't they make a nice quick gift, too?  

Yes, I agree.  It would be boring.  I originally bought the potholder kits with the idea of giving them away as a gift.  But that was a long time ago.  Since then most of my potholders have bit the dust.  But, I am thinking about making more for gifts, now that I "learned" on these!  :)

Donna C.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 139
Points 3,515
Jo1030 replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:08 PM

Donna C:
I think these are beautiful the way they are.

I agree!  I like the look of  "log cabin"; I have never tried it yet, but I am going to someday.  

Prayers to/for all.  Hugs. Jo

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,179
Points 43,535
Diane replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:31 PM

Donna----I think your cat is trying to send a sign that she doesn't like those people working in your house.  Also, she is trying to tell your step son something.  Cats and iguanas are sometimes alike.  Toni was telling me that she's the boss.  As Stephanie said----they are stinkers!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,658
Points 140,938
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:32 AM

Donna C:
Yes, you can access them on your phone to show people, if you have the access to Google+.  If you have Google on your phone, and you have a gmail.com account, you should be able to get to Google+ from the Google search page.  Just look in the upper right hand corner.  You should see the icon. Or, your phone might even have a Google+app that you can go to directly.  We use Google Chrome on our computers so everything is sync'd up.  

Thanks for the info Donna. I have chrome on my phone and get my email. I'll be checking into the rest.

Donna C:
 My hand work right now is an old project that has come out occasionally for the past several years.  It's a large counted cross stitch project of some Mexican symbols, with a big bird of some kind in the middle.  I'm making it as a surprise for my son.  It's almost done, then it'll go to the frame shop.  It needs to be sealed well in a frame with glass so it won't rot too fast.  If I don't get it done soon, it'll rot right in my embroidery bag!  Lol.

I worked for a customer recently that did cross stitch. It's just amazing to me that such beautiful works of art can be done with x's. We had pixels before computers did. LOL. I admire anyone that can do it. My mind was always so all over the place I couldn't stick with the count. Probably should have started with one that had the x's marked first. 

Donna C:
Your day to day "paying job" sounds like it requires a lot of artistic creativity, too.  Right?

It used to. When the faux textures, and glazed finishes were so popular. When the housing market collapsed, people just wanted "clean ups" to save money. Here we are six years later, things are opening back up, and I'm ready to move on. LOL. Won't stop me from creating, just on a smaller level than 20 ft ceilings and walls.

With the trends moving towards whites and brighter colors, I'm not sure we'll see the popularity of having walls fauxed. But the aged furniture will always have it's place. Shabby Chic..

The log cabins made really pretty pot holders. I like them both, but you're right about the look of the matching like fabrics. I like that one better too. 

You have lots of projects planned. That's a great thing. Cedric's little bed to put in Mom and Dads bed sounds like something I'd have loved to have too. And making the pot holders in red, gray and black sound striking with the black dishes. You go girl friend!!! Keep those projects coming...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,658
Points 140,938
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 3:42 AM

Donna C:
I'm with you both!  I must have strained my shoulder yesterday mopping the floors, because today it's really painful.  However, there was the white cement dust everywhere!  I think I mentioned earlier last week we were having the master bedroom tub and toilet area redone.  They took out the tub and made it a big shower, and also put in a new floor and toilet.  They were here working in the house all last week.  It took me two days of dusting and sweeping before I could mop.  

I really feel for you on this one. That dust will be floating for the next month after they finish won't it? It's almost like trying to clean up spilled baby power. And then to have Nabia acting out again must really be overwhelming. She's really out of sorts over this. Poor fur baby. Hope your shoulder is feeling better today....Did they finish the bath?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 352
Points 6,200
lilliepad replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:40 AM

Donna C- Love the potholders. In my 20+ years of quilting, I've never made a long cabin.  lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,513
Points 116,355
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 27 2014 10:48 AM

Donna C:
Yes, I agree.  It would be boring.  I originally bought the potholder kits with the idea of giving them away as a gift.  But that was a long time ago.  Since then most of my potholders have bit the dust.  But, I am thinking about making more for gifts, now that I "learned" on these!  :)

One of the earliest quilts I made was log cabin.  I intended it to be full bed size, but it turned out to be a throw size.  I wonder what happened to that thing.  I also made a table topper in Christmas fabrics with 3 log cabin blocks as the focal.  I made it for my coffee table.  On that one I used 1" strips, so it was tiny.  It got real tedious.  It turned out pretty, though.  I've seen Christmas ornaments made from log cabin that are pretty, too.  There are so many variations of it, too.

Linny T

Page 210 of 290 (4340 items) «Prev208209210211212Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use