My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 4,643 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Donna C:
I think sometimes cats that are totally inside all the time tend to be that way.  Do you have places he can climb up on and inside of?  They need that exercise and added security.  Some cats are naturally climbers, and others like to be low and hidden.  Does he see other cats outside while he is inside?

Donna, he has run of the entire house and plenty of places to climb as well as burrow.

Our basement has several nooks and crannies that he explores frequently.  He climbs up on the heat runs in the basement.  He has not been as successful as our first cat in traversing the basement on the heat runs.  Gracie would go from one side of the house to the other in the basement without touching the floor.  Stedman is slightly larger and that might be part of the reason he doesn't/can't do that.

Tim loving calls some of Stedman's hiding places as the cat caves.  We also have perches in a couple rooms in front of windows. They have a place to hide and a place to lay.  He burrows right down in and makes himself at home.  He seems to be both a climber and a burrower.  Depends on his mood, but we have not restricted him from following his whimsy.  He goes in the closet and climbs up on top of the shelves.  He sits on the stereo by my sewing machine.  He truly rules this roost.  Last night he was on top of my dresser behind the mirror for quite some time.  Not sure what attracts him to this spot but Tim assures me he can't tip the mirror off the dresser so we let him be.

He does see other animals outside when he sits in the windows.  There are several cats in our neighborhood and I am not sure all of them have homes.  We have a grey tiger coming around a lot lately who seems to be living below our storage barn. The tiger sleeps on the front porch under a chair during the day and I see him on the back deck occasionally. 

There are also a lot of dogs but they must be leashed in our city so he only hears them.  He sat in the open window of Kyle's room last week and sang a song to a dog who was howling back. [actually it was more of a yapping back but the dog carried on quite the conversation with Stedman]  Tim thought Stedman was being rather nasty to tease the poor dog like that.  I'm not sure how I felt about the exchange. 

We are in the city but we have woodchucks in our back yard and have a skunk from time to time.  When the chucks come out, they wander down the one side of our house which is very close to the fence on the property line.  We can barely get through there to keep the grass down with a trimmer so they love it there.  Stedman likes to sun himself in this window in the afternoon and cries pitifully when he sees the chucks.  I know that he would have a struggle defending himself against one of them.  They are such nasty creatures.  We have an industrial parking lot next to us which attracts some interesting critters.

And then there is the occasional bird by the kitchen window.  Kyle does not think it is appropriate for the cat to try to get to the window because there is no ledge and it is above the kitchen sink.  I am not sure we can stop him when the mood suits him.  I come down some mornings to a counter which looks different than when I went to bed but it is what it is.  As long as he stays off the dining room table, I guess I am happy.  Also, the counter when I am cooking. 

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Robin:
I'm having the sudden realization that I am not as young as I use to be.

Oh Robin, that realization has set in for me too!!

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Linny, hope that all is going as well as possible and that your chores are not eating up too much of your weekend. 

I saw a post on Facebook regarding the Proquilinator.  Someone who quilts rather than do laundry, house work, grocery shopping or picking up the kids.  I think this describes my life pretty well lately.

My daily trivia for today was something which made me think of you ladies in Florida.  On this day in 1992, Hurricane Andrew came to Florida and the gulf states and caused some major damage.  I believe the count of deaths was 55.  I can't remember which way it works, but there are statistics for storms named for men vs storms named for woman.  One is more likely that people will not leave their homes and will be more likely to die in the storm.  I am thinking  that it was the storms named for women which people were more inclined to think they can "ride" it out.  Look at the statistics for Katrina.

Any way, hope that the weather is pleasant and that you have a moment to sit quietly to enjoy it.

I also hope that the fact that you have been quiet is not bad news for Barb.  The waiting while a loved one suffers seems to be forever.  Are you able to find some time for yourself often enough that you can recharge and be there for her?  I hope so.

Be strong and be well.  You are on my mind frequently.  Know that you are not alone.  Wish I were closer so that I could do something more than pray.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Robin:
I've got to say I was pooped when I got home yesterday.  It is amazing what a little bit of carpet can to.  For the last few years I've been on a carpet floor this year I'm directly on concrete and my legs were not happy with me by the end of the day yesterday.   Today will definitely involve compression socks

Robin, concrete floors will take a toll on our bodies.  I hope that the compression socks are helping.  When I worked retail and was on concrete floors all day, I found that changing my shoes at lunch time helped a lot.  Fresh foot ware with decent hosiery made a world of difference.  I never invested in expensive shoes and was unable to wear sneakers at that time.  The company I worked for has since changed that policy but 20 years ago,  we were required to wear dress shoes.  Black slacks, white blouse/dress shirt.  Everyone wore lovely bow ties.  I was glad when I became a department manager and could wear something other than company issued bow ties.  Seems like an eternity ago.  But back to the feet, I kept a second pair of shoes in my locker and changed during lunch.  It really helped me get thru the afternoon.

You have been quiet this weekend.  I hope that you have just taken time to recharge and recover so that you are ready for week #2 with the students.  Keep your chin up and hang in there.  You have 5 days down and only 175 to go!

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 9,640

Darlene, Just a word of advice from someone that has had cats all her life.....try to keep Stedman as an indoor cat. They stay healthier and as Tim said no fleas (hopefully).  I would never have let Sammy out except for the fact he was attacking me all the time and that was the Vets advice.

Speaking of hurricane Andrew, my other husband and I had a condo down in Homestead (where it hit) and we had only spent one winter down there and it was destroyed. My sister lived there permanently and her place was destroyed.   

BTW.... I love your posts, so don't try to shorten them!   Hugs, Jo    Time for church.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,623
Points 118,285
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 24 2014 8:25 PM

Darlene :

Linny, hope that all is going as well as possible and that your chores are not eating up too much of your weekend. 

I saw a post on Facebook regarding the Proquilinator.  Someone who quilts rather than do laundry, house work, grocery shopping or picking up the kids.  I think this describes my life pretty well lately.

My daily trivia for today was something which made me think of you ladies in Florida.  On this day in 1992, Hurricane Andrew came to Florida and the gulf states and caused some major damage.  I believe the count of deaths was 55.  I can't remember which way it works, but there are statistics for storms named for men vs storms named for woman.  One is more likely that people will not leave their homes and will be more likely to die in the storm.  I am thinking  that it was the storms named for women which people were more inclined to think they can "ride" it out.  Look at the statistics for Katrina.

Any way, hope that the weather is pleasant and that you have a moment to sit quietly to enjoy it.

I also hope that the fact that you have been quiet is not bad news for Barb.  The waiting while a loved one suffers seems to be forever.  Are you able to find some time for yourself often enough that you can recharge and be there for her?  I hope so.

Be strong and be well.  You are on my mind frequently.  Know that you are not alone.  Wish I were closer so that I could do something more than pray.

Thanks Darlene.  Barb is not doing too well.  I don't know how long she'll be with us, honestly.  Some days she's hardly there and other days she's real chatty.  Tonight she had a moment of lucidity and talked about only having 6 months to live.  That was the news back over a month ago when she was in the hospital still.  She told me she's losing her will.  I talked to her about her next doctor appts. and she said she could have more radiation.  24 hours in the hospital, she said.  Then she went on to say that she was in this class for 6 months and then she'd be in Child Psychology for 6 months, so she'd get more for her money this way.  Her mind wanders easily.  She mostly doesn't make sense, but sometimes she comes out with perfectly sensible things to say.  I spend as much time with her as I can because I don't want to miss those moments if I can help it.  More often than not, though, she's tired and falling asleep.  She fights to stay awake, so I'll go do something and then come back and draw or play with my phone.  If I rustle a paper or something I see one of her eyes open to see if it's me.  She's still not in pain, though.  They're still giving her PT 6 days a week, but the goal has shifted to maintain what little strength she has instead of trying to get her well enough to live with family. 

As for me, well, I'm okay.  I'm maintaining, but sometimes I have to just get alone and process some of it.  I did that some today.  I appreciate your saying if you were closer you'd do more than pray.  I believe that the prayers of a righteous person avail much.  I personally pray for the strength to go there every night.  It's not that I dread it.  It's just hard to think of seeing her like this and I worry that I'm not strong enough to deal with it.  There's a kind of thing that happens once I'm there, though.  It's as if I have that strength and I know just what to do and say.  I believe that God answers prayers and He's answering the ones that you send to Him for us.  Don't think that your prayers are the least that you can do.  They're more than any physical help anyone could give and I thank you for them.

Sometimes I don't post because I think I'll just bum everyone out because I'll talk about my Barbie.  It's the only thing on my mind most of the time, even when I'm doing something to try to distract myself.  Naturally I'm sad all the time, but there's no reason to bring everyone else down, too.  I do read every post, though.  It's nice to read when all of you are chatting together and all the talk of upcoming weddings, comfortable shoes, jams that don't set up, the new school year, great sales and new venues and especially kitties and lizards and pups.  Makes me smile, all of it.  I still make time to sew to keep my mind calm, too.  That's what I did most of today.  Sewing and thinking.  I seem to do my best work at times like this.  I did an applique for a wall hanging.  I'm putting the finishing touches on it and I'll post a pic when I get a minute.

I think you're right about hurricanes.  People respect men more than women and we are the weaker sex, it's been said.  I was in Homestead the day after Andrew.  The company I worked for was contracted with the government to do emergency work tearing down and clearing areas to make transportation possible and to put the "blue roofs" on homes that were still safe to live in.  I didn't know what a hurricane was until then.  The people were still coming out of the shelters when I got there and they all, even babies in strollers, had blank stares in their eyes.  They were in shock.  Big buildings were crumbled as if some giant had gone through mad and kicked them to bits.  Dogs were wild, running in packs and were dangerous like wolves. The national guard troops were running in formation with full gear, including weapons, like it was a war zone.  It looked like there'd been a war there.  The people would surround the car begging for ice and water and you got the feeling that you'd better not stop because they all had desperation mania in their eyes.  All I had to do there was to bring water, food and money to our workers, so I was able to do that and then get out of there.  Trees were bent over all the way across the Everglades in Andrew's path.  I'd never seen such destruction.  It was horrible.  All that was mild compared to Katrina, though.  I think people have it backwards about the names. I have a lot of respect and fear when I hear a hurricane is near by, no matter what their name is.

I like that they've found a name for die hard, driven quilters.  Proquilinator, lol.  Made me smile.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,222
Points 44,410
Diane replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:16 PM

Hi Everyone

I have not written as I have been so busy with things around here.  I am taking care of Karen's Mom again because she went to Texas to meet her fiance.  I don't know how long this trip will be.  This week I have been so tired after taking her to the airport and trying to find things around her house.  

On the home front, I have had to put Toni into a tank because she started acting out.  I have had to wash bed sheets 3 times this week because she was trying to show me how mean she can be.  She seems OK there.  I'm hoping when she gets older I'll be able to let her out and trust her.  She just sits there staring at me but there is nothing else I can do.

Stephanie---I have seen that you have been ill.  I can't find out what's going on because of so many comments.  Would you tell me what's going on?

Linny--It's so hard to have someone in the hospital or assisted living and visiting them everyday.  I've been through it.  I hope Barbara doesn't have to go through radiation again..

It's hard to not know what's happening in the future for her and the decisions are so hard to make.  Prayers for you both.

Robin---sounds like you are so busy right now.  School is so exciting the first couple of months.  I remember Danielle's first grade teacher telling me that the kids were hyper until Christmas and then things were calmer.  Best to you!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 170
Points 4,255
Jo1030 replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 4:26 PM

Linny, Here is something funny from hurricane Andrew......my sister was staying with a friend thats house had all the windows blown out and they got up one morning and there was a rooster sitting on the table.  lol 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 411
Points 7,095
lilliepad replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 5:06 PM

I've decided that I really don't like doing housework. What a waste of my time. Wish I could afford to hire someone to come in twice a month.

I strained my back, just a bit, when I was mopping the floors. REALLY???  I really think that in a few years I won't be able to do housework at all. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...lol

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 411
Points 7,095
lilliepad replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 5:14 PM

I signed up for Fun Techniques with Fabric Paints on Craftsy. So far, I am really enjoying the class. When I actually start to create something, I'll post pix of my new fabrics.

Trying to decide where I will create these masterpieces. I'd really like to do it in my sewing studio. But, if I spill paint on the 1 yr/old carpet, DH will have my head.  lol  This is the main reason I wanted wood floors in my sewing studio. But someone was Mr Too Cheap to spring for it. I could have just left the old carpet in that room and upgraded at a later time to wood floors. But NOOOOOO...

Sorry ladies-I seem to be Grumpy Gertrude today. Gritch, moan, and complain

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,623
Points 118,285
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 7:03 PM

lilliepad:

I signed up for Fun Techniques with Fabric Paints on Craftsy. So far, I am really enjoying the class. When I actually start to create something, I'll post pix of my new fabrics.

Trying to decide where I will create these masterpieces. I'd really like to do it in my sewing studio. But, if I spill paint on the 1 yr/old carpet, DH will have my head.  lol  This is the main reason I wanted wood floors in my sewing studio. But someone was Mr Too Cheap to spring for it. I could have just left the old carpet in that room and upgraded at a later time to wood floors. But NOOOOOO...

Sorry ladies-I seem to be Grumpy Gertrude today. Gritch, moan, and complain

You gave me a laugh with your Grumpy Gertrude, so don't apologize.  I needed that.  Your class sounds really cool.  I can't wait to see what you do.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,623
Points 118,285
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 7:06 PM

Diane, I'm sorry your Toni is giving you such problems.  She will have to learn the hard way.  I wouldn't be wanting that going on in my bed, either.  Yuck!  Sounds like life is wearing you out a bit.  All that and Toni's acting out on top of it.  Hope things calm down for you soon.

Thanks for your prayers.  We all need them.  Barb won't be having any more radiation.  She's had as much as a person can get in a lifetime. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,623
Points 118,285
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 7:10 PM

lilliepad:

I've decided that I really don't like doing housework. What a waste of my time. Wish I could afford to hire someone to come in twice a month.

I strained my back, just a bit, when I was mopping the floors. REALLY???  I really think that in a few years I won't be able to do housework at all. Maybe that's just wishful thinking...lol

I'm right with you on the housework thing, Lillie.  There's always something that needs to be done, too.  I never get to a point where everything is where it belongs.  Just different stages of organized stuff, lol.  Some day maybe we'll be blessed with someone to do our housework...hopefully before we are confined to a home and are drooling and eating mush, lol.  Hope your back stops hurting after a good night's sleep.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,623
Points 118,285
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 25 2014 7:13 PM

Jo1030:

Linny, Here is something funny from hurricane Andrew......my sister was staying with a friend thats house had all the windows blown out and they got up one morning and there was a rooster sitting on the table.  lol 

Jo, that's just too funny.  I bet the comedy of it was a relief after going through that storm. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 26 2014 5:53 AM

Hi everyone,

What fun it is to come on and see everyone's posts. 

Darlene,

I enjoyed reading about the wildlife and Stedmans adventures. He is one traveling little man cat.

The proquilinator should fit you. After all this has become a lively hood for you. Living the dream some would say. It's a lot of hard work for sure.

Linny,

Thank you for confiding in us and sharing one of the most traumatic times a person can go through. I've never experienced a love one going through cancer, and if it was my sis, or my spouse I don't know if I could make it through as you have. I admire you for being there everyday with Barb, and you know my heart aches and I pray for you every day.

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of your applique.

Diane,

You've had a lot going on taking care of Karen's mom, the airport, and Toni acting out. She may be feeling your stress. Better to have her confined for a while to change that behaviour. Stinker!

Don't worry about me. I just have to go in for some heart tests. I'll have two on Thursday, and a stress echocardiogram on Sept 3rd. I'm not going to worry until I get the results. I had an attack last Sunday that the doctor just wants to rule out it wasn't a heart attack. I've had six of these over the last 12 years. The first I did go to the hospital, and they did a catheterization. My heart showed healthy. His concern is the risk factors I have being "obese", pre diabetic, and a smoker. He said a lot can happen in 12 years. I'm still leaning toward it being some kind of panic attack, maybe a bit of denial, but either way, a wake up call to make some changes to bring down those risk factors.  I'll let you know when the results come back.

Lillie,

I hear ya about not like housework! Can you imagine doing it with 5 dogs and a cat in the house? LOL. I'm a glutton for punishment that way. Totally can relate to it being a waste of time.  I'm sorry you strained your back mopping. Hope it feels better soon. Home Depot sells some really inexpensive green plastic drop cloths you may be able to use with your fabric painting adventures. They have a nubby texture on them to keep them from being too slippery on the carpet, and can be reused several times. I really like using them because they're light weight.  

Grumpy Gertrude. LOL. Even when you complain, it comes across in the most lighthearted way. We wouldn't be human if we didn't "gritch and moan" from time to time.  Look forward to seeing your creations.

Jo,

I had to chuckle about the rooster too.  Through such tragedy of losing their homes, they were able to take away something to smile about says a lot. Did they stay and rebuild in Florida?

Robin,

I've missed your morning posts. I know you're probably crazy busy right now. Just thinking of you.... 

Page 209 of 310 (4644 items) «Prev207208209210211Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.