My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 4,641 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 207
Points 4,660
Donna C replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 10:27 AM

Thanks, Linny and Robin, for the suggestions about the hat, and the compliments on the snuggles.  As you suggested, I did go online and I did make a "mock up" first,  I found a site (http://www.fantasylandcostumeco.com/historical_hatsmedievalrenaissance.htm) that showed some Renaissance style hats and gave a brief description of how to make them.  I chose one called at "flat hat," and to make it for nobles it said to just use a fancy fabric like velvet or brocade, and to add a broach and/or feather..  So last night I got out an old sheet and cut out a large circle (using one of the snuggles as a pattern), and a band long enough to fit his head.  I gathered the edges of the circle and sewed it onto the band.   After trying it on him, we decided to make the circle just an inch wider all the way around, but otherwise it's good.  So now I have my pattern.  Now he wants me to make the hat out of black velveteen, so soon I'll be off to the fabric store..  Soon I'll need to try on the Renaissance style dress I made several years ago to see if it still fits me.  It's a green velveteen with gold trim with a black satan veil attached to a sort of half hexagon fabric covered tag board hat.  Lol.  it's hard to describe!  

Robin, this is such a special time for your daughter, Keeley.  Best wishes to y'all as you move her to FSU.  Will you have any more children at home now?

Have a super Saturday!

Donna C.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,212
Points 44,195
Diane replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 2:39 PM

Hi Everyone

Donna--the cat snuggles are cute.  My cat would love one.  She sleeps with me and in different places.  Nice to plan and look forward to vacation.  Branson  sounds fun.

Lillie----Congrats on your good health.  I know you are so happy!

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,212
Points 44,195
Diane replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 3:23 PM

Hi Hayley---I hope when you click on this, you can join in on the conversation.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Sat, Aug 16 2014 3:35 PM

Hi everybody,

It's been good to read your posts. Lots happening here.

Donna, 

Your cat snugglers are so cute. You're so talented. I got a copy of Mary Maxim catalog in the mail the other day and it made me think of you. It had the cutest little animals to crochet. Sounds like you are off onto another project making the hat for your hubby. I hope your dress still fits. It sounds really pretty.

Darlene,

I'm just thrilled for you that market is going so great with sales. Happy too that you have a friend to spend time with. Especially one that shares your interest. That's wonderful. Continued best wishes for you, and sales..

Diane,

You've had lots going on too with rearranging and having the missionaries come in to help. It takes time for sure to have everything in place and be able to find things. Look forward to seeing pic's of Toni and how much she's grown.

Robin,

Happy 27th, a day late. Back to school time already. They're starting here Monday. I think Keeley will have a lot of fun in an apartment with friends as opposed to a dorm.  It sounds as though you're getting your room together. Did they finish all the remodeling? (I may have missed this.) How do you like your room?

Lillie,

You got some great news not having to go back for three months. I'm happy for you and yes, Praise God.

Jo,

I hope you and George are doing well, and the kitties too.

Linny,

Still saying prayers for you and Barb. Robin Williams passing saddened me too. I've since heard that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's, and wonder if that's what pushed him over the edge to take his own life. For a brilliant, sharp minded person as he was, it had to be devastating news.  

All,

Not much going on around here but work. The days seem to fly by before I know it. It's just miserable hot and rainy here most days. I haven't worked on any projects lately, so nothing exciting there. I have the hearts formed and am going to post them in media soon. And I noticed we have a new post here from someone wishing to make an art quilt. If anyone has any thoughts,please pop in and help her out.  

Have a great weekend!  

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,186
Points 69,220
Robin replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 6:03 AM

Good Morning All,

I'm having the sudden realization that I am not as young as I use to be.   We got in from Tallahassee about 1 am .  Spent the entire day moving Keeley into her apartment, which was filthy.   So the day started with cleaning then shopping, then supper, then putting together stuff at the apartment that she couldn't do herself.  Would have loved to slept until 9 or 10 but my body woke up and had to get up.  Wow when did I turn into my mother!  (haha)

Anyway the house is full because both the girls came home last night so I'm a happy mama.  

Tomorrow is the first day with kids so that should be interesting.  The first few days is always interesting with students it's like they're on their best behavior for the first two days then the trial starts.   Fun, fun, fun.

Enjoy your Sunday because tomorrow is surely Monday.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,605
Points 117,940
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 12:56 PM

Dear Robin, with your 2 girls home and the house full.  Even though they'll both be away, I'm sure they'll still love spending the night at Mom's house.  Good luck with the students...let the games begin, right?  Thanks for the wishes for more good than bad days for Barb.

Donna, you'll have to get someone to take yours and DH's picture and post it for us to see.  Sounds like the hat is going to turn out great.  I'd love to see your costume.  It sounds beautiful.

Diane, how goes the room redecorating?

Darlene, Hayley is a new member who's looking for tips about doing a memory quilt.  You're the first person who came to mind.  I remember the one you did for Kyle.  How are you doing with your computer issues?  Have you gotten used to the new computer yet?

Jo, how are you doing.  Got any projects in the works?

Stephanie, all work and no play makes for a sad quilter.  Hope you soon find some time to create.  I'm happy for you that there's plenty of work, though.  Seems like work is picking up for everyone in the construction industry...a good thing, to be sure.

I've been working on an applique wall hanging.  It's from the My Cup of Tea quilt.  The one I'm doing is the rose.  Sewing is my meditation and I do love applique.  I'll post a pic when I'm done.  As for the Etui, I'm collecting embroidery ideas for the inside.  I haven't settled on the final idea for the inside yet, but I'm close.  I need to do some sketches and see which one I like the best.

I'm getting ready to go see Barb.  She's been having issues with tremors in her hands and her mouth.  One night nurse called it mini-seizures.  Apparently it's common with brain cancer.  She holds her own, most days.  She's still pain-free...a fact that the medical people in her life just can't believe.  I know it's God's great mercy and grace, so it doesn't surprise me.   

Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.  Like Robin said, tomorrow is surely Monday.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 4,040
Jo1030 replied on Sun, Aug 17 2014 1:37 PM

Hi Everyone,  I hope you all are having a blessed Sunday.

Linny, hearing you talk about your sister makes me think of my sister, (same mother, different father), she was 10 years younger than me. She lived in Big Pine Key,Fl and I was in Ohio, she was sick for a long time and I didn't get to see her. She led a different life than me, but in the end she had a good husband and a good life for a while. She was very independent, liked to party and hard to get along with at times. She had something wrong with her liver and the last time I saw her she looked like she had annorxia.

I thought I would give my last "cat quilt" to my oldest son and his wife, but I asked her about it and she said she would rather have a small one (throw size) for the couch. I knew she would be honest with me; I didn't want to give it and them not use it. Her and I get along real well, easy to talk to. They live in Virginia.  I have the top almost finished for it.

We just got done "guinea pig sitting" for a week and a half.  Coko liked to stick her paws in the cage and hit her on top of her head. Poor Rosie didn't know what that was all about. The last time we had her Coko was a lot smaller and I would take both of them to the bathroom and let them play.....this time Coko was too rough with her.  It did keep Coko entertained while Rosie was in her cage. 

Good thoughts are going out to all of you from me.     Hugs, Jo

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,186
Points 69,220
Robin replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 3:51 AM

Ready or Not here they Come!

The kids are coming, the kids are coming. 

Yep today is the first of 180 days.  Praying for a year of smooth sailing, sweet memories and lots of learning.

We spent the weekend moving Keeley into her apartment all day Saturday and Sunday finishing up odds and ends with Laurie so we were ready for today.   Keeley doesn't start for a few more weeks so she'll be back and forth.  Laurie is ready to roll out her new kids. 

Unfortunately, they have found the little boy who was missing.  He apparently drown in a near by pond.  It is so sad.  I can't imagine using a child but to lose one who was so vulnerable to the world has to compound the pain.  They had a memorial for him last night.

Jo,  Your so sweet to babysit the guinea pig the way you do. 

Linny,  I hope you got all your chores done and had a sweet visit with Barb.

Donna, Can't wait to see your hats.

Hope you all have a super Monday!

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 207
Points 4,660
Donna C replied on Mon, Aug 18 2014 11:23 AM

Jo1030:
We just got done "guinea pig sitting" for a week and a half.  Coko liked to stick her paws in the cage and hit her on top of her head. Poor Rosie didn't know what that was all about. The last time we had her Coko was a lot smaller and I would take both of them to the bathroom and let them play.....this time Coko was too rough with her.  It did keep Coko entertained while Rosie was in her cage. 

That's just too funny!  Just imagining a guinea pig with a cat!   That reminds me of when my son was a little boy and had a gerbil, and we had a cat, too.  Gerbils have long tails, like mice.  One time when the tail stuck out of the cage the cat tried to bit off the end of it, taking off only the skin,not the bone.  Yuck!  We had to take the gerbil to the vet to have them cauterize the tail to keep it from getting infected.  So, it's good the guinea pigs don't have tails!  Lol.

Have you taken a picture of your cat quilt?  I'd love to see it.

Today my cats are freaking out a little.  The noise is deafening.  We're having the master bedroom bath re-tiled, floor and shower, and new toilet.  They're taking out the tub and will make that whole area a large shower.  That includes breaking up the floor where the tub was and moving the drain to the center.  It's my husband's bath.  (I use the other one, which is a little bigger, and has a tub/shower combination.  We had that one done a few weeks ago.  I'm really enjoying the improvement in that bath for sure!)  

Robin, girl, you were up really early this morning!   I understand about the night before the first day of school.  I usually had to take something to sleep.  You're so right about the first few days being like a honeymoon period, then later...they start testing you.  Do you go by the philosophy of starting out strict, with your own clear cut rules, and then later on relaxing a little with them.  Or, do you let them set the rules and consequences as a "community" of students?  As a kindergarten teacher I found I had to set the rules, of course.  As the year went on they got pretty good at observing others break the rules and tattling on them!  That part drove me crazy!  Anyway, I hope your day went well.

Linny, I had to look up the word "etui".  So you're making a decorated box with some inside boxes?  Will you be using it to store anything specifically?  I saw some pictures of etuis that were used for storing sewing supplies...very pretty ones.

Stephanie, it was good to hear from you.  I sort of figured you were really busy right now.  That's good for your business, but draining on your energies.  It's good that you can be creative in your job since that's energy giving.

I got up in the attic and pulled out Tom's costume from 12 years ago.  I saw that I had made him a hat to go with a cloak that he already had.  Unfortunately it was maroon velveteen, to match the cloak, not black, like we need now to match the jacket.  However, it got me to thinking about the pattern for the hat.  I really don't remember making it, but he said I did.  So, I got into my patterns and found it.  It's a McCalls pattern for a whole men's style Renaissance costume, including the hat.  Since he likes that one, I'll just use it again.  Those patterns are so expensive that you have to use them again and again to just come out even!  That's why I try to just buy them when they're on sale.

I almost have the crocheted water bottle holder done.  That was a quick project, and a good stash buster.  I like to take along water when I walk.  It's been in the upper 90's here the past few weeks, and very humid.  Actually I can't complain.  This has been one of our coolest and wettest summers overall in years!

Wishing everyone a marvelous Monday!

Donna C.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,186
Points 69,220
Robin replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 3:45 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you are up and off to a right fine start!

Well day one is down and day two is about to get rolling.   I've got to say I was pooped when I got home yesterday.  It is amazing what a little bit of carpet can to.  For the last few years I've been on a carpet floor this year I'm directly on concrete and my legs were not happy with me by the end of the day yesterday.   Today will definitely involve compression socks.  However, yesterday was my long day and it went pretty good.  My last period is a bit of a handful a class of 17 girls and one boy.  So guess who had to be the man with plan.  We'll work it out though.  

Donna, I usually layout my rules on the first day and then we go from there.  Must kids never have another problem and then there are those who have to test the waters.  This year I plan on being a little more diligent about calling parents.

Well, let me go I need to finish getting dress.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 5:46 AM

Robin, 

Welcome back to the new school year. I do pray that you have a year of smooth sailing, sweet memories and lots of learning. Sounds like the girls are getting the year together with the help of Mom and Dad.

I'm sorry to hear the little boy drown. Tragic. I'll send some prayers up for his family.

Enjoy your day. Hope the compression sock help on those cement floors. They are hard on the legs and feet.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 5:53 AM

Jo, 

Good to hear from you. 

It's so sweet of you to make a cat quilt for your son and his wife. It is also nice that she is honest with you like that. I'd love to see a pic when you finish it.

Coco is a hoot. Her natural cat instincts have kicked in to want to thump Rosie that way. It is fascinating to watch them focus on such things. I would imagine if Rosie had been around all the time, she'd have grown used to her by now. I've had cats that would go out and kill birds, but never attack my pet birds. And even one that co-existed with a ferret running around the house and eating her cat food.

Good thoughts and hugs right back at ya!     

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 6:07 AM

Donna,

Poor kitties going through the remodeling. Poor you too. It'll be great when it's all finished though. Hope they do a great job for you.

Donna C:
It's good that you can be creative in your job since that's energy giving.

That's the best part. Always seeing something improved, and made better. Our last customers were fabulous. And full of thank you's in the transformation. That makes it all worthwhile. You had asked me about the audit. The results came in, and fortunately I only owed $23.00. Yay. 

That was a lucky break for you finding the pattern for the hat. Especially since it is one that Tom really likes. Patterns have really gone up in price over the years. Thank goodness they're reusable. 

Doing a crocheted water bottle holder sounds like a worthwhile project. Is it one you can attach to a belt? Seems like the yarn would help keep it cooler. I love walks, but where we live isn't the best place to do it. Too many people let their dogs run wild, and I've been confronted a few times. I see the guys that do walk carry big sticks with them. I don't want to do that either. I admire you for getting out in this heat and doing it.

I have added the pic's of the hearts in their true shapes. I too want to thank all of you for the time spent and the beautiful creative  hand work....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 6:35 AM

Doctor appointment for a physical today. Good timing because Sunday I had one of my occasional stress attacks that mimics a heart attack. Felt like someone shot me with an exploding bullet that radiated out my back. This one lasted for three and a half hours. Total agony. My youngest rottie (Gabby) came up and laid beside me and placed her paw in my hand for the longest time. When she was little I'd have her on my lap, and hold her paws and we'd say our prayers. To this day when she comes in she still raises her paw for me to hold. Sweet.   Mike said she'd come out to him and whine for him to wake up. He'd fallen asleep on the couch. He got up and brought me some aleve and gave me a back rub.  I'm fine now, but it never ceases to amaze me that stress can cause such horrible things to happen to our bodies. And then be gone like that. 

On the bright side I ordered my dress. After Donna posting about dresses, I had to rethink the original one I'd picked out. It was strapless, and not a good plan for my body type. Thank you Donna for helping me stop and really think about this. Anyway the one I picked was sleeveless, and they will add sleeves at no extra charge. I found this totally awesome. I entered my custom measurements, no extra charge, and asked them to raise the scoop back to a normal back. No extra charge. It was also on sale for $128.00. Chiffon over satin, and I picked a color called Grape.  ( A dark red-purple on the screen) In my hopes of losing weight, I've decided to not add more pressure to myself to do it. If I do, I can see about having it altered. They gave me an arrival date of Sept 7th, so I have plenty of time.

Have a great day everyone...

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,605
Points 117,940
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 19 2014 5:13 PM

Stephanie, I'm glad you went to the Dr.  You can't be too careful with something like that.  I hope it is just anxiety.  You'll be a lot less anxious knowing what causes it for sure, though.  That's so sweet about Gabby.  It amazes me how caring our pets can be.  It always makes me feel like God put them on earth to care for us when we need it.  She knew her mommy was hurting and was worried. 

Your dress sounds beautiful.  What a deal for them to be doing all those alterations on top of the sale price for free.  Amazing, really.  It sounds like it'll be perfect for you.  I hope you post a picture of it when you get it.   When's the wedding?  Around Christmas was it?

Linny T

Page 205 of 310 (4642 items) «Prev203204205206207Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.