rated by 0 users
This post has 4,214 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 10:57 AM

Darlene :
They give me 4 or 5 bags at a time some weeks.

Wow! Awesome as it is for them to do that, it would be really hard to manage your stash.

Darlene :
This group is supported completely with donations.  Most of those donations are in the form of the contents of a loved one's sewing room when they go to a nursing home or can't sew anymore.  It is said and amazing at the same time what we get.  The women who do the majority of the sewing are over 80 and do it at home.  We meet every Tuesday from 9 AM to noon from sometime in September until Easter.  They can usually finish about 200 quilts.  This year there were 206 boxed up and shipped and we kept 4 of the "nicer" ones in case of an emergency that we might want to donate one locally.  Tops and backs are made in these ladies homes and then put together on Tuesdays.  We tie all the quilts and then knife edge finish.  The lady who does all the finishing sewing on the edges is close to 90 and can barely move.  Once she sets down in the chair she is there until it is time to quit.  We pile the pinned quilts within her reach and she literally throws them onto a table to be folded when she is done.  She is a hoot.

What a beautiful testimony to all of you. It's just incredible to read how many quilts were finished and donated. And all with donations. Incredible. The lady that does the finish sewing sounds like a character.  Amazing at 90 to be able to still have the where with all to do all she does. All of them, really. 

The story gets even more incredible the farther I read about the dedication and teamwork of all of you. To think of spending the time taking coils out of an electric blanket, cutting all the squares, and everything. You all are truly amazing. And what a team!

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 175
Points 3,930
Donna C replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:34 PM

lilliepad:

Donna C-I have that same cough problem.My throat becomes irritated and I start coughing. Sometimes it's so bad I can not even have a conversation without coughing every 2-3 words. When it gets that bad, I usually just keep my mouth shut for months at a time.

I have severe allergies to trees, specifically pine, (of course I live in the pine tree belt) and when they start spewing their pollen, I'm a goner. I've had the shots, but they did nothing but consume my $$. I usually stay inside during the spring and summer months. That's a real bummer for me because I love to garden. We are slowly changing our landscaping to plants/trees that require very little maintenance.

It sounds like you're going through what I used to with coughing and allergies, but I never tried the shots.  I hope it gets better for you like it did for me.  I don't know if it was getting older or managing my stress triggers better or the good nutritional diet and supplements I do.  Maybe it's a combination of everything.  Anyway, last time I had my allergies tested nothing showed up.  The doctor just prescribed a nasal spray, which I only use when I start to have problems, like in the Spring.  I know what you mean about not talking for months at a time.  When I was teaching I would have to talk, and then I'd start coughing so much the kids were worried about me.  I'd have to stay at home for about a week at times, go to the doctor, take medicine, and rest.  Usually that helped.  Anyway, you so what you have to do.  Getting easy to maintain plants and trees is always a good idea.  I love perenials that come back every year.  Cannas do well here, and they survive the winter, but they do freeze down, and then it's a mess to clean up in the Spring!  They're so pretty afterwards that it's worth it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 175
Points 3,930
Donna C replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:45 PM

Linny t:

The quilt is beautiful, just like your daughter, Donna.  My first daughter was born on 5/14.  My first grand daughter was born on 5/13.  

Hopefully my new grandson will be born on one of those dates!  My son-in-law's family has a tradition of naming the first born son names that have the initials CEG.  His name is Christian Eric Geswender.  So, now we're all texting back and forth this weekend with ideas.  My DH and I like Colin Edgren (as in "edge").  Tom knows of a good football player named Edgren.  I don't think they liked Edgren, but Colin is still in the running at least, I think.  Lol.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 175
Points 3,930
Donna C replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 4:53 PM

Linny t:
Donna, remember the quilt Robin posted a few days ago with the hexes?  That's GFG.

Was that the block with the butterfly over the flower?  I didn't see a hexagon, if I'm right in understanding "hexes" as being a hexagon.  ???

Linny t:
Speaking of GFG, I watched Quilting Arts yesterday and they had a lady who showed how to make the hexes out of circles.  In the end the hexes are finished on both sides and ready to connect without backing or batting.  Any one seen that before?  Apparently women would use mason jar lids for patterns.  Once cut out the circle is folded and stitched in such a way that a perfect hex is formed.  It reminded me of how ladies would make coverlets out of yo-yos. 

I will definitely check that out.  Sounds very interesting.  I've got so much to learn, but now have the time to do it!  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 175
Points 3,930
Donna C replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 5:14 PM

Darlene :
Donna, as Linny said, there are several methods of Quilt As You Go.  The method I use is a Flip and Stitch method.  Very similar to how I foundation piece my crazy quilts.  The biggest difference is that you spray baste you backing and batting together and then you quilt on top of the batting.  I started this project in the center of each block and did right sides together.  Stitched one seam, flip top piece "open" and press.  I kept doing this until the batting was covered and all seams were finished.  The backing piece shows all your stitching lines and the block is quilted.  Then the tricky part comes with the way you attach the sashing to join the blocks.

Your explanation of Flip and Stitch is great, but my mind is not seeing it.  Is there a tutorial somewhere online?

I loved your story of your problems with sewing the whole thing together, and making it so funny.  Lol!  You've been very creative in trying to solve it.

I also loved your story about the quilting group of older ladies.  They sound like a hoot and a half!  I hope I'm still going like that at that age.  Question:  Do they use the donated blankets as "middles" to piece and quilt around, or like batting, sandwiched between the pieced work and the lining?

Stephanie,  thanks for your comments about my mom, but no she's not alive.  She passed on at the ripe old age of 93, 6 years ago.  She was a great seamstress, though, but did very little quilting.  Then as soon as I, her "baby," graduated from high school and went off to college, she learned to knit and crochet so she'd have something to do while my dad drove their V W van all around the country, sightseeing footloose and fancy free.  She made so many things, even crocheted from fine natural string a queen-sized bedspread for me, and a king-size for my sister.  However, she didn't do much of it in her 80's, due to arthritis and glaucoma, and by 86 or so, had a stroke, and dementia began to set in.  Thank goodness she was able to live in a nice nursing home near my sister then, in Brenham, Texas, since I was still living in Mexico.  My sister was able to see her almost every day, and I'd come and give her a break for a month every summer.  Then when I moved back to Texas we moved Mom to Houston, near me.  It was my turn, of course.  By then, though, mom's mind was way too far gone to know much.  She was in a Personal Care Home here, not a nursing home, since all she needed was fed, bathed, dressed, and watched.  She didn't take any medications at all by then.  It was nice that it was within a mile of where I lived, so I could pop in anytime.  So, when anyone is going through a lot with an aging parent, I can really empathize.

Oh, BTW, speaking of arthritis, and before, of surgeries.  Last August I had my right thumb joint replaced due to arthritis.  Ouch!  That was painful, but worth every bit of it.  Now after that and a lot of therapy, I'm finally getting back to doing a lot with my hands again.  My right hand thumb is beginning to have pains at times, but glucosamine condroitin pills help at least for now.  All the years of playing the piano probably caused it.  My sister plays the piano, too, and has the same problems with her thumbs, but she has never sewn much, and never does handwork.  I think it's because our hands are small, and we had to do a lot of "over stretching" with our thumbs to get the octaves!

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 175
Points 3,930
Donna C replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 5:49 PM

Stephanie:
Otis came from the humane society. He was 2 years old, full Persian, and the best cat I'll ever have. He's seventeen now.

Otis reminds me of Nabia.  She's not a persian, but is a long haired tiffany type cat, and is very, very sweet and affectionate.  And, I got her from the Houston SPCA when she was 3 years old, and now she's 15.  Here is a picture of her today right after I made her a little pink beret.  LOL!  My DH had been pestering me for the longest time to make her one, so I searched online last night and found this pattern on www.wikihow.com.  You can imagine it didn't stay on too long!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,469
Points 115,685
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:09 PM

Donna, I have to make a correction.  It finally dawned on me that you got FG from Stephanie's post.  She is making Flying Geese.  Sorry about that.  There are so many abbreviations going on it's hard to keep up with them all.  I remember when all that acronym stuff first started with texting and someone was talking about a DH.  I couldn't imagine what that could be, so I asked.  I felt dumb when I was told it was dear husband, lol.  It's like a whole other language sometimes. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,469
Points 115,685
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:27 PM

Donna, what a cute kitty with a pink beret.  We love our fur babies, don't we?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,149
Points 68,310
Robin replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 5:46 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope everyone is up and having a great start to their Sunday!

I'm fixing to jump up and get ready for church.   I've missed several Sundays lately with all the mouth stuff and then helping mom with Easter Dinner last week. 

Yesterday was a great day.  Any day you having time to do what you want is a great day.  I little yard work and little sewing everything was good.

Today I've got to learn how to use a butane burner so I can do demonstrations at school tomorrow, so that will be a chunk of my day. 

The kids and I have decided to make a double Irish Chain and have it quilted for a fundraiser next year.   Since it's for FCCLA it's colors are going to be red and white.  I order the print yesterday and it's already shipped.  When it gets here I'll purchase some solid white and solid red for the order two blocks.   I hope this works.  We're going to sell tickets from August to May. I think a local ladies quilt group might quilt it for us.  I'm just not sure about that part because I haven't seen their work lately.

Donna,  Your kitten is so cute.  I love her beret.

Everyone,  Have a Spectacular Sunday!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 6:50 AM

Donna,

Thank you for sharing your Mom's story with us. She sounds like she was a very talented woman. I can't fathom the time it took her to string crochet bedspreads. Oh my, what a treasure! It was fun to read that her and your Dad got to travel around for a while in the VW van. Made me smile because my older brother had a VW camper that he hung onto for 20 years and had many a family trip in it. I was sorry to read she struggled the last nine years of her life. You and your sis had to be such a comfort to her in being there almost every day.

I'm glad you posted about having your thumb joint replaced. My husband has arthritis in one of his thumbs, and I shared the news about this. He can't take glucosamine, unfortunately. I know that would help a lot.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 6:53 AM

Donna C:

Stephanie:
Otis came from the humane society. He was 2 years old, full Persian, and the best cat I'll ever have. He's seventeen now.

Otis reminds me of Nabia.  She's not a persian, but is a long haired tiffany type cat, and is very, very sweet and affectionate.  And, I got her from the Houston SPCA when she was 3 years old, and now she's 15.  Here is a picture of her today right after I made her a little pink beret.  LOL!  My DH had been pestering me for the longest time to make her one, so I searched online last night and found this pattern on www.wikihow.com.  You can imagine it didn't stay on too long!

Such a precious picture! Love the pink beret, and look how pretty you are. Thanks for sharing.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 6:56 AM

Linny t:
There are so many abbreviations going on it's hard to keep up with them all.  I remember when all that acronym stuff first started with texting and someone was talking about a DH.  I couldn't imagine what that could be, so I asked.  I felt dumb when I was told it was dear husband, lol.  It's like a whole other language sometimes. 

I remember too, being so confused. LOL. We weren't alone. Remember, someone finally started a forum post to have access to what they all meant? LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 7:05 AM

Robin,

Hope you have a great day at church and using the butane burner.  My friend used to work for Heavenly Ham, and was fascinated to learn they used the little torches to make that crusty delicious glaze. What will you be demoing it on?

The double irish chain quilt in red and white sounds like it will be a beauty. And a great idea for the fundraiser. Look forward to hearing about it. Selling tickets from August to May should give plenty of time to raise some good money. 

It's still been beautiful weather to be outside. At least until noon, anyway. Which is fine, because I'm an early riser. Enjoy your day!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,636
Points 140,668
Stephanie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 7:25 AM

Yesterday was a bust for me for not working on projects.

Too much time messing around with computer and printer issues. I managed to get the computer running better. The printer, I decided to replace after an hour and a half of troubleshooting. It's an older model. Sometimes the trade off of buying a new one, and determining how much my time is worth moves that decision along quickly. I have to have it for my business, and I need it to work on the spot.  Especially in the early morning when Mike needs a bill printed at the last minute. Always the case it seems.

Feeling pretty motivated today, though, and hoping to get enough chores done early to be able to not feel guilty about having fun.

Hope you all have super day!!!!  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 338
Points 5,995
lilliepad replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 8:05 AM

How exciting to be part of the baby naming process. My DIL pretty much picked the name for my Grandson. When The second rolled around, my son picked his name. Logan (after Logan from X-men) Vaughn (after Stevie Ray Vaugh).  My grandson is nothing like either of those people.  lol

Page 129 of 281 (4215 items) «Prev127128129130131Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use