This post has 4,636 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,602
Points 117,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:31 AM

Robin:

Good Morning Everyone,

I spent the evening finishing Diane's block.   I hope you like it.

Robin, I love everything you've done on this block.  The butterfly is great and the silk ribbon flower is lovely.  Very, very nice!

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 207
Points 4,660
Donna C replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:52 PM

Robin, that's a beautiful block!  I love it all, the colors, the embroidery, the trim, but especially the butterfly on the flower.  :)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 207
Points 4,660
Donna C replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:03 PM

Ok, girls.  I'm posting my first thing for you.  This is a crazy quilt "beach bag" that I've made for my older sister's birthday, this next May 3rd.  She'll be 69.  She likes to wear black and white almost all the time, hence the colors black and white, with a little red as accents.  She also travels a lot, and has a time share in Cozumel, hence the idea of a bag, and last but not least, she plays the piano, so I included fabric with treble clefs, which is also the binding fabric.  The "A" is her initial:  Allynn.  I really hope she likes it!  I didn't do any hand embroidery, just machine.  I'm learning to use my new Singer Patchwork machine.  This was my first try with the "fancy" stitches!  The other interesting thing is that the red fabric is corduroy, from our deceased mom's favorite pair of slacks!  I know she'll recognize it.

• Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 207
Points 4,660
Donna C replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:24 PM

Robin, I love that you teach Home Economics.  That was one of the things I was thinking about majoring in before I chose music.  Someone told me I'd have to disect a cat if I majored in that, and I believed them!  Lol.  Your explanation of why teenagers and toddlers are so much alike is great!  Right on the money.

I retired early, so I don't get full retirement pay and benefits.  However, I do have retirement investments to supplement it when needed.   I only taught 14 years in Texas.  My 18 years of teaching music in Mexico didn't count since the seminary I taught in wasn't accredited in the US.  Texas' rule is that your age plus your years of service have to add up to 80.  I lacked 2 more years, but my DH had already been retired 3 years.  He retired after 30 years teaching here, at the age of 60, but he said he didn't feel retired until I joined him.  (His last 5 years he taught Texas History to 7th graders.  Before that, he was a vocational adjustment coordinator for  Houston ISD, and traveled a lot within the city to different sites, servicing special ed. students.)  While he was at home and I was working, he took on all the grocery shopping and cooking in addition to bills and finances.  That was a big help for me.  So, now we're financially ok anyway, since he gets full retirement and benefits.  He just added me to his medical insurance.  

Hang in there.  Take every opportunity to de-stress!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,602
Points 117,880
Linny t replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:36 PM

Donna C:

Ok, girls.  I'm posting my first thing for you.  This is a crazy quilt "beach bag" that I've made for my older sister's birthday, this next May 3rd.  She'll be 69.  She likes to wear black and white almost all the time, hence the colors black and white, with a little red as accents.  She also travels a lot, and has a time share in Cozumel, hence the idea of a bag, and last but not least, she plays the piano, so I included fabric with treble clefs, which is also the binding fabric.  The "A" is her initial:  Allynn.  I really hope she likes it!  I didn't do any hand embroidery, just machine.  I'm learning to use my new Singer Patchwork machine.  This was my first try with the "fancy" stitches!  The other interesting thing is that the red fabric is corduroy, from our deceased mom's favorite pair of slacks!  I know she'll recognize it.

Donna, your sister is going to love this.  What a neat bag!  You did a lovely job on it, too.  It's fun to use all the fancy stitches on a new machine, isn't it?  People all over will ask her where she got it and she'll proudly say, "My sister made it just for me" :)

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Donna. your bag is great.  I have wanted to do something similar to this in crazy patch but wasn't sure how to approach it.  I think you have helped me get past my road block.

I am sure your sister will love it.

Nice job.  Can't wait to see what you do next.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Robin:
I spent the evening finishing Diane's block

Robin, beautiful work.  Love all you did.

Is the butterfly 3 dimensional?  It looks great with the flowers.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Robin, sorry to hear about Laurie's accident but glad that her car was not totaled. 

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,212
Points 44,195
Diane replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 7:29 PM

Donna--Lovely beach bag.  Love the color and the touches of red or pink.  Also the dots and checks together. Nice.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 28,635

Last couple days have been interesting.

I haven't gotten much sewing done but did do a whole day of scrap management yesterday.  In the process of my organizing yesterday I chose to sort some bags and boxes of scraps.  This was a difficult process for me because I was working in a totally different approach than i would normally use.  Normally I would save any small odd shaped piece for a future CQ project.  Yesterday I decided that anything less than a half yard would be cut into strips of assorted widths and then some squares and rectangles, again of assorted sizes.

I found every shoe box I could in the house and labeled them with the size and shape.  I had to find another vessel to put pieces into and found on top of my freezer a bin that already had some squares and rectangles in it.   I got thru several bags of fabrics that had been sitting for too long and now I have my cutting table full of these boxes of scraps.  Sorted and organized but where to put them is my next dilemma.  So they sit on the cutting table and I can't cut anything until I figure out where they will live.

Hoping to get some sewing done on my QAG tonight.  It is half way together but it is so big that pinning the rows is difficult without access to my cutting table.  I really want this project done and will be thankful when I can put a binding on it and call it done.

Putting some last touches to the CQ and then I can sandwich it so that I can begin hand quilting it.  Also would like to get this one on the finished list.

Have a good night and a Fabulous Friday.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 400
Points 6,950
lilliepad replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:15 AM

Donna C-I love the bag. Love the colors and the pattern you sewed. I'm sure your sista will love it as well. I think it's a good thing that you used machine stitches on the bag rather than hand embroidery. They will be stronger and hold up much longer under continued beach use. You really want her to use the bag and not worry about ruining all the stitches.  Great job!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:17 AM

Good morning everyone,

Robin,

Your work on Diane's block is beautiful! The butterfly and the flower just pop!  Did you hand dye the little flower lace? Everything looks great!!!!

Donna,

Thanks for the reply. I'm such a "curious George".  It helps to understand what people are going through. Thank you for sharing. And I love your bag. Your sis is going to love it! I love the sentimental touch of adding the corduroy fabric from your Mom's pants. I'd have done machine dec. stitches on a project like this too.  

Darlene,

Look at you go with your organizing! Cutting those fabrics into assorted sizes will make for some really neat crazy or scrappy quilts. Hopefully some fresh ideas came about where to put the cutting table fabrics so you can carry on with your QAG.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 400
Points 6,950
lilliepad replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:23 AM

WOW Darlene. That sounds like a lot of work cutting all that fabric and then finding a place to store it. 

I usually don't cut anything until I'm ready to use it. I have all my fabric sorted by color and stacked on shelves in my walk-in closet. Wish the closet was twice as big as it is. But we make do with what we have. lol

I do have one separate bin that is strictly for CQ as it contains fabrics I have been gifted by other CQ'ers. It was easier for me to keep it in that bin.

Maybe a better option for me is to use up all my stash, before I buy anything else.  lol  Like that is ever going to happen!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:45 AM

All is going well here. 

I had spoken a couple months ago about Mike bringing the customer's mountain dog in for us to babysit right in the midst of my family visiting. Well, don't you know that the two week visit turned into five and we had to track the owners down. The husband called and said they didn't want her back. Long story short, we were going to find her a home, but in the end I can't bear to let her go. She'd have to start all over with a new family, again. Made me too sad to think of that, and what if she was too much for the new family? She's happy here with our other dogs, and they have lots of room to run and play when they're outside. So now we have five! What's one more when you already have four?  

Outside of that I've been able to do some menial chores now. Laundry, dishes, etc. I'm gonna try again for work on Monday. Until then I have been enjoying working on Robin's block, catching up on business paperwork, and have all the pieces for  the new quilt cut out. It has a lot of flying geese. Sixty eight if I counted right.  I bought one of Eleanor Burns FG rulers and I'm anxious to try it out. Looks tons easier than doing them the old fashion way. 

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:47 AM

lilliepad:
Maybe a better option for me is to use up all my stash, before I buy anything else.  lol  Like that is ever going to happen!

LOL. Ditto on that one!

Page 126 of 310 (4637 items) «Prev124125126127128Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.