My Day 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,830 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Question for those of you who have done ribbon work:

How do you attach pieces of ribbon or lace?  The books I have with pictures look like the lace is attached with stitches done in floss.  That is what I have been doing but I'm not sure I am using proper techniques and that the lace is secure.

When stitching with ribbon, you use a bigger eye needle?  I have a picture in a book which I am trying to replicate.  It appears to have leaves stitched with probably a 4mm ribbon.  Haven't done that yet.  Scary but I'm going to try.

When I get this all together and ready to sandwich, what methods have you used to quilt.  The only CQ I have ever finished which was embellished was tied but I want to do this one up right and I'm not sure tying is the proper finishing technique.  The book I am looking at looks like the quilter used a hand running quilting stitch in between embellishing.  Does that sound appropriate?

Thanks for any input you can give.  Like I said, I want to do this one right.  It has taken two years to get to this point and while the inspiration is still there I would like to bring this to completion and have it off the UFO list.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:20 PM
Darlene, for ribbon I use a chaniel needle.  Just make sure the eye is big enough for the ribbon to fit without binding.  You draw the ribbon through the needle until you have a short bit left on the end, just a tiny bit longer than your needle (1/4").  Pierce the end of that tail with the needle and pull the knot to the eye.  That will keep it from slipping off while you're stitching.  If it's hard to get through the fabric and seems like it's too rough on the ribbon, use a bigger needle.

With lace I usually tack it down with sewing thread and then decorate it with floss.  I never sew it down with floss, just because I learned it that way, I guess.
I'm so happy to see you trying so many new things.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:30 PM

Donnamarie, what a beautiful dress.  You look so happy in these pics.  Must have been a fun time for you.  I never went to prom, so I don't have any pics to share.  I always wished I did, though, just to say I did it.  We moved to Florida when I was in HS.  I had a lot credits from the time at my northern HS, so all I needed was 3 more to graduate.  I took them at night school and graduated that way.  I did go to one year of HS here in the south.  Boy was it culture shock.  There was serious trouble between blacks and whites back then.  There was a race riot at the school and my mom took me out and let me go to the other.  It was a different world to us being from Illinois.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:35 PM

Darlene :

Beautiful pictures.  You don't look like you have changed much from your avatar.

My TBT picture is my avatar.  It is a photo taken when I was about 4 years old on a camping trip.  That is my mom in the foreground and me pouting about something on the log.

I wish I could see it bigger.  I bet you were a cutie. 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 2:47 PM

mamagshouse:

Here I am.  Glad I found you.  Funny yesterday on TBT I posted my graduation and prom picture.  I don't have the one with the boyfriend I went with as I burned it when I found out he was cheating on me.

I love your pictures---you are so pretty and I love your dress and hat---so light and airy.  Love the wrist corsage too.  I asked for those sometimes.  My thing was carnations.  They are beautiful and I love how they smell.   Do we call you Mama or another name?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

You can call me mamag that's what everyone else does.  Those pictures are from 1983 seems like yesterday.  Time goes by so quick.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny t:
wish I could see it bigger.  I bet you were a cutie

Thanks Linny.  I was a spoiled brat.  Only girl and I ALWAYS got what I wanted.  Just had to pout and it was mine.  Pretty soon, I didn't have to put on the pouty face.  I

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny t:
I'm so happy to see you trying so many new things.

I did a bumble bee this afternoon made with bullion knots,  Never did them before. 

Here he is

legs are not proportionate but not bad for my first attempt

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 4:27 PM

Diane this is so darned cute!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 4:29 PM

No that was supposed to be Darlene, duhhhh

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 18 2014 4:33 PM

Darlene :

Linny t:
wish I could see it bigger.  I bet you were a cutie

Thanks Linny.  I was a spoiled brat.  Only girl and I ALWAYS got what I wanted.  Just had to pout and it was mine.  Pretty soon, I didn't have to put on the pouty face.  I

Just look at that little pout.  Too cute!  Is that a little boat in your hands?

Linny T

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

This is too cute.  Are bullion knots the same as French knots, they look similar. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

mamagshouse:
Are bullion knots the same as French knots, they look similar

They are very similar but are stitched long rather on top of themselves.  Hope that makes sense.  The needle hangs out both ends of the stitch while you wind the floss around the end of the needle.  Then you need to pull [my book says to coax the needle thru] the needle thru the loops of the knot while holding it in tack.  

I believe I will need a longer needle next time I try this stitch but it was fun and I am pleased with my bumble bee.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Yes, I had quite the pout going.  I believe it was probably a boat that belonged to one of my brothers in my hands.  I was never a girlie girl and always wanted what my brothers had.

Thanks Linny for helping me relive this moment in time.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Thanks Linny and mamag for your comments on the bee.  it was fun to do and I learned a lot.

In retrospect, I should have stitched it the other way so that it was going the same direction as the flowers behind it.  Oh well it is a crazy quilt and not all needs to be directional.

I will most likely try this again in the next project.  I think one is sufficient for this quilt.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 119 of 256 (3831 items) «Prev117118119120121Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use