rated by 0 users
This post has 3,223 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 6:43 PM

Linny t:
Stephanie, your lighted magnifier, is it one of those that has multiple light bulbs set in the ring around the glass?  I have one of those with the florescent ring shaped bulb that Ricky used and I hate that glare.  I'm looking for one with the better, more natural light, multiple bulbs in the ring area that won't break my bank.  Mary Corbet blogged about one but the price was not in my budget range.  I've priced some at the craft stores around here and with a coupon they're affordable, but I'm not sure of the quality.  What kind do you have?

Here's a link to it. It's a mighty brite, and it has the multiple led lights. I love it. It is weighted at the floor nicely so it doesn't tip over when you move the neck. You can bend the neck up, down and even adjust the magnifier at a tilt if you need to. It has a rather fragile cord though, so a little care needs to be taken not to have it where it can be walked on.  http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-Floor-Light-Magnifier/dp/B001D49350/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397348450&sr=8-2&keywords=mighty+bright+magnifier

Linny t:
When Barb was moving she gave me these wall mount task lights that have cords with a toggle switch in the cord and 2 lamps on each one.  I'm going to put daylight bulbs in them and mount them right over my sewing table and cutting/ironing area.  They are positionable so I think they'll work good, as long as they don't cast too much shadow.

Those sound perfect.

Linny t:

Another thing I want to have in there is a place set up to take photos at.  I am thinking about that idea I saw with the large, white plastic bin with lights behind.  Knowing me, the bin will get filled up with stash right after I use it the first time, lol.  Do you have any set up you use for taking pics of your work?

LOL, about the bin filling with stash. Sounds like a great idea. I usually take mine under the fan lights. I  move my office chair over and lay the piece in it . Sometimes in trying to catch sparkle I have a hand held light that I can hold close to help bring that o

Linny t:
You know of course, since you've recently remodeled your sewing room you should expect that I'm going to be asking you a lot of questions like this :)  Not to mention the fact that you are the most experienced and talented person with home remodeling DIY projects that I know :)  Hope you don't mind.  By the time I'm done you will probably wish you'd blogged about it while you were doing it so you could just post a link, lol.  

Thank you. What a sweet compliment! Ask away, I love to chat about these things. I do wish I'd blogged about it. It's been a process for sure.

And lighting is so important, isn't it? As we get older, our eyes don't tolerate glare and shadowing. I have this really heavy pole light made for outdoors that has 4 lights with white globes. I move it to sit by the left front corner of my sewing table with enough space to maneuver a quilt if I need to. Having it in that area keeps shadows from casting and I can see my work cleary. I think the white globes help soften the light from glare as well.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 6:46 PM

Diane:
So glad I'm back with all my sisters.

Welcome back!!!

Sounds like you've been busy! Congrat's on the new addition, and how she is like Bubba. What's her name? 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 6:56 PM

Jo1030:
I called the cardiologist's office yesterday to ask her to send me a copy of the cat scan report and she said it showed enteritis in my small intestine and a hernia in my right bowel.  

Jo, I will keep you in my prayers. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 3,845
lilliepad replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 7:45 PM

Yes, I have pictures and  a DVD of the surgery. Dr Ted is doing a really good job taking care of me. I am getting a bit tired of laying around all day with my leg propped up.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,500
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:17 AM

Diane:

I have a new iguana---from rescue.  She is about 18 mos old---has already dropped one clutch of eggs---not fertalized so I know she won't get "egg bound" and need a hysterectomy like my first one did.  She is intelligent and can learn.  She gets very depressed when she is in a tank---just lays there looking sooo sad.  I have her on the top of a carpeted cat house about 4 feet tall and she is happy.  She doesn't crawl around like some iguanas, knocking things over. lol  To go to the BR--I put her in a bath and she will go.  Picture to come.

How wonderful!  A new baby!  What's her name?  Looking forward to seeing the pics. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,500
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:29 AM

Stephanie:

Here's a link to it. It's a mighty brite, and it has the multiple led lights. I love it. It is weighted at the floor nicely so it doesn't tip over when you move the neck. You can bend the neck up, down and even adjust the magnifier at a tilt if you need to. It has a rather fragile cord though, so a little care needs to be taken not to have it where it can be walked on.  http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-Floor-Light-Magnifier/dp/B001D49350/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397348450&sr=8-2&keywords=mighty+bright+magnifier

Thank, Stephanie.  That's exactly what I had in mind. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,500
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:38 AM

lilliepad:

Yes, I have pictures and  a DVD of the surgery. Dr Ted is doing a really good job taking care of me. I am getting a bit tired of laying around all day with my leg propped up.

It can be frustrating not being able to just move about.  All you see is things you can't get up and do.  Good time to catch up on reading, but that gets old after awhile.  Hope it's not too painful.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 68
Points 1,840
Jo1030 replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 3:45 AM

Diane:
I have a new iguana---from rescue.

So glad to see you back, Diane! I am glad you found a gentle iguana! How long is she? Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Lillie, I am glad your surgery went good and I know what you mean about lying around.  Sometimes after surgery it is hard to even concentrate to read and as Linny said you see all the things that need done that you can't do.  

Thanks for all of your prayers and scriptures; they help.     Hugs, Jo

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,020
Points 65,130
Robin replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 4:34 AM

Good morning everyone,

So nice to see the whole group back together.   I look forward to seeing everyone each day.

I'm up early and fixing to get started on some baby presents.

Lillie,  Hope you will be able to be up soon.

Stephanie and Linny,  What are your photo boxes built out of ?

Diane,   Congrats on your newest roomate!

Jo,  How are your projects coming along?

Darlene,  Enjoy your peaceful Sunday.   (I'm assuming they take Sunday off from the construction site)

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,500
Linny t replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:22 PM

Robin:

Stephanie and Linny,  What are your photo boxes built out of ?

I read in a blog somewhere about ma.king a mini photo studio out of a large plastic bin, like a storage bin.  I haven't tried it.  It's supposed to be like where they put the white boards in the background and shine the light off them so there's no shadow.  With the bin you put the lighting behind the box. 

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690

Lillie, sorry I haven't been here to tell you how glad I am that you are home and recovering.  Being flat with the knee elevated is no fun but you will see the benefits when time comes to be up and moving again.

Glad that Dr. Ted is taking such good care of you.

Follow doctor's orders [probably the ortho's, then Ted's] and you will be on your feet again soon.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690

Diane, welcome back. 

So happy to hear about your new iguana.  She sounds lovely and just a perfect fit for you and your home.  Can't wait to see pictures of her when you are able to post.

Question for you: do you still have your shop on Etsy for your jewelry?  I haven't been doing much with my shop there and haven't posted anything for sale in over a year.  Something inspired me this week to get off my frannie and make use of this resource.  I decided which quilts I would like to move to a new home today and took pictures of them.  I hope to list them tomorrow.  I have chosen 7 baby quilts and a twin size crazy quilt.

Wish me luck

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690

Robin, hope that you had a good Sunday.

Yes, we had a quiet day today.  They do not work on Sundays so it was wonderful.  We had such a beautiful day, weather wise, and I got to sit on the front porch and work on the embellishments for my quilt.  I have decided to make a fourth tree.  Spent most of my day Friday working on this tree.  This is my summer tree and I am struggling to fill in the top.  I have set it aside to be allow my muse to inspire me to know how "full" the top of the tree needs to be.  I did get some beads which I hope to use them for the icicles on my winter tree.

I have 13 blocks accounted for.  I think there were another 12 that are MIA.  I am planning to finish 12 blocks and making this a lap throw.  In the event that the other blocks turn up before I get to that point, I will continue with the original plan.  I am hoping that letting go of them will make them come back.  We will see and I will keep you posted.

I have plans for some lace on a couple blocks.  Never done much with lace when embellishing quilts in the past but think it will add to this one.  I plan to join the blocks into quadrants so that I can hoop better for working in the seams near the edges of each blocks.  Of course, if I go with 12 blocks that would be a 3 x 4 layout and there would not be quadrants.  Maybe rows.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,020
Points 65,130
Robin replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 3:41 AM

Good Morning All,

Happy International Moment of Laughter Day.    I hope you all have several moments today.

Update on my mouth.   It is healing nicely.  I have worked my wait up to soft meats.  Things like barque beef and scrabbled hamburger.   However on Tuesday they are going to do a incision inside the lower lip to separate it from the gum.  Apparently my lip attaches to high on the gum and needs to be detach.  It is apparently a simple procedure and they will just "numb me up" .   Doesn't really sound like a simple thing to me but he hasn't hurt me yet to my knowledge so I'm going to go with it.

I'm up and at it.  Got to get to school early as I have three labs today.  It's a simple chocolate chip cookie lab but it is also their first lab so that is going to require some extra attention.   I went out Saturday and got the kitchen straight and set up as much as I could but I still want to go in and make sure things are ready by eight.

Darlene,   Your quilt sounds lovely.    I've been thinking about doing one similar to Sharon Boggs I dropped the button box.   But not anytime soon.  This is the year of finishing ufo's which to my credit.   I have finally finished the one I started and planned for the family room.   I got Laurie's top ready for the quilting frame and next up will be Keeley's Harry Potter Quilter or the border for my Alaska Quilt.   However,  I do have plans for a new quilt.   It's a double Irish Chain in Red and White.  If I do it I'll have to get it quilted on a long arm and then it will be a year long fundraiser for FCCLA at my school, which is the organization I sponsor and am always talking about.

Linny,  Thanks for the info.   Did you look on pinterest for ideas?   I know I've seen several on their.

Diane,  does your new iguana have any to the skin problems that the last one did?

Lillie,  When you do get up take it easy, please.

Stephanie,  Rumor running around the house is I maybe joining you in the wedding hoopla this year.   We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Have a exceptional Monday everyone.

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,500
Linny t replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:39 AM

Robin:

Happy International Moment of Laughter Day.    I hope you all have several moments today.

I wish the same for you...more likely it'll happen for you at school with a bunch of kids making cookies than for me at work in a construction company, lol.  Enjoy those cookies.

Robin:

Linny,  Thanks for the info.   Did you look on pinterest for ideas?   I know I've seen several on their.

I do look on Pinterst sometimes.  I can get lost for hours on Pinterest.  Can't you?  I found that article during a time when I was looking for info. on photographing jewelry, so it was most likely on one of those sites.  I printed it out  and it's at home .... somewhere...  Maybe I'll find it when Audra moves.

Linny T

Page 114 of 215 (3224 items) «Prev112113114115116Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use