This post has 3,831 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:55 AM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
be expecting Diane's block no later than Friday.

Speaking of Diane. Anyone heard from her lately?

I heard from her today.  She said she's still fighting with the site thing, but is putting the finishing touches on your block and will be sending it to me soon.  She said it'd be worth waiting for.  I can't wait to see it.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:57 AM

Robin:

Hi Everyone,

I'm back from the doctor and the news is not as good as we had hope.  I have to have 3 gum grafts and a bone graft.  We went ahead and scheduled it for his next appointment which was this Friday due to a cancellation.   Fun, Fun, Fun.  

Robin

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Robin.  I hope it's not too painfull.  It sounds like something they put you under for.  Will he get all that done in one visit?  I hope so. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:59 AM

lilliepad:

Stephanie:

Thank you Linny.  It's so funny how working a block like this can conquer fears of attempting certain things in stitching. One for me was those little fern leaves on the roses. I've always admired them on other peoples work, but was afraid to attempt one. The next thing I need to focus on is spacing. I'd have rather planned for three roses. Don't know why, but visually it seems things like this appeal to me more in odd numbers. Is it just me?

Studies have shown that most people prefer items in odd numbers. Advertisers do it all the time to help sell products.

It's a general rule of design that odd numbers are more appealing. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 11:01 AM

Robin:

Linny,  Thanks for all you do for this group.  Especially this gal.

:)  It's my pleasure, dear.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 11:11 AM

Stephanie:

Thank you Linny.  It's so funny how working a block like this can conquer fears of attempting certain things in stitching. One for me was those little fern leaves on the roses. I've always admired them on other peoples work, but was afraid to attempt one. The next thing I need to focus on is spacing. I'd have rather planned for three roses. Don't know why, but visually it seems things like this appeal to me more in odd numbers. Is it just me?

I always struggle with spacing.  I usually plot it all out with a ruler first, but often I find that after measuring and marking it with pins it still looks better if I eyeball it.  I know that if we look only at the row we're doing it looks better perfectly spaced, but with other factors, sometimes it looks wonky or out of balance.  Do you find that to be true, too? 

I got these nifty little things at Ace Hardware.  They are spreaders for glue for tile.  They're plastick squares, the same size as Sharon's templates and each side has either square notches or triangle notches in different sizes.  I use them for spacing without a ruler.  I designed my Etui to be big enough on the base to make a pocket for them and the templates I got from Sharon, so I'll have a place to keep them. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Robin:

Hi Everyone,

I'm back from the doctor and the news is not as good as we had hope.  I have to have 3 gum grafts and a bone graft.  We went ahead and scheduled it for his next appointment which was this Friday due to a cancellation.   Fun, Fun, Fun.  

Robin

Oh my gosh. I had a bone graft after having a tooth pulled, and it was so painful afterward. Had to sign release papers that the dentist could not be responsible if I contracted aids from it. Scary stuff. I can't imagine all the work you have to have done. I hope he gives you plenty of pain meds.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:
 I heard from her today.  She said she's still fighting with the site thing, but is putting the finishing touches on your block and will be sending it to me soon.  She said it'd be worth waiting for.  I can't wait to see it.

Hope you get back on soon Diane. Look forward to seeing what you've done....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:
I always struggle with spacing.  I usually plot it all out with a ruler first, but often I find that after measuring and marking it with pins it still looks better if I eyeball it.  I know that if we look only at the row we're doing it looks better perfectly spaced, but with other factors, sometimes it looks wonky or out of balance.  Do you find that to be true, too? 

Yes, I do too. Have you heard of Tiger tape? I've thought of experimenting with that above and below a stitch line instead of marking. I think it could be used several times as well. Not sure I'll ever get good enough to totally eyeball something. But, in all the things I've ever admired, I'm not looking for perfection in them. More overall effect. I think we are always the most critical of our own

Linny t:
I got these nifty little things at Ace Hardware.  They are spreaders for glue for tile.  They're plastick squares, the same size as Sharon's templates and each side has either square notches or triangle notches in different sizes.  I use them for spacing without a ruler.  I designed my Etui to be big enough on the base to make a pocket for them and the templates I got from Sharon, so I'll have a place to keep them.

These sound really cool. I'll have to look for them. I've seen large ones, but never thought to look for smaller ones. That's a great idea that you've planned the base of your etui to be big enough for the templates and them. I can't wait to see it finished.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 6:08 PM

Stephanie:
Have you heard of Tiger tape?
 Yes.  I actually have some somewhere.  I have used it on cotton and it works really good for straight lines.  I never tried it on fancy fabrics.  I have no idea where it is, of course.  I've decided not to buy another quilting object until after I move all my stuff back in the room.  

I can't wait to see my etui finished, either.  It'll be a ways before it happens...maybe by the time the holidays roll around again, lol.  I have a lot of work to do after my block comes back.  Some of it I can do in the mean time.  Some has to wait until it comes back.  I haven't entirely decided what fabrics to use on the inside.  I thought of ordering some of that silk/cotton blend fabric for it.  It'd have that sheen, but be a little more durable, I think.  I did get some emery for the "strawberry".  My strawberry is going to be shaped like a pyramid, though.  It'll fasten to the inside of the cap and it'll help hold the cap down when it's all closed up...sounds good, doesn't it.  Hope it works, lol.   It'll be an adventure...

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 287
Points 5,035

Robin:

Hi Everyone,

Robin

Robin, I'm sorry to hear about this. It's not too too bad as procedures go.

I've had 2 bone grafts when they put in my implants. Now they say I need one on my back molar, which has a 6 pocket in it. The pocket has not increased in 1 year. I'm thinking I'm good for right now.

Chin up old girl.

Hugs ((  ))

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:
I've decided not to buy another quilting object until after I move all my stuff back in the room.  

I got a chuckle out of this. I thought our habit was to buy stuff and make room for it. LOL. This makes much more sense. 

Linny t:
I haven't entirely decided what fabrics to use on the inside.  I thought of ordering some of that silk/cotton blend fabric for it.  It'd have that sheen, but be a little more durable, I think.

Are you thinking of the radiance fabric? I have some fat quarters of that. I haven't used it to see the fray, or snag factor in it yet. It really is pretty though. I love the idea of a pyramid "strawberry. Too cool! And that it will weight the cap down. You have put so much thought in this, it blows me away.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

lilliepad:
I've had 2 bone grafts when they put in my implants.

How long did it take you to adjust to the implants?

Also wanted to let you know that I got Robin's block. The picture in media of your hand work does not do it justice. It's really incredible. And the fabrics Robin used in this and the layout are beautiful. looking forward to working on it. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,116
Points 67,325
Robin replied on Thu, Apr 3 2014 3:10 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

We were running late this morning so I didn't get to post.  

I talked with a co-worker today who have had the gum grafts done.  She said just to take pain meds as they are prescribed and sleep for the first twenty four hours then I could start tapering off.    I asked her which was worst having a baby or this procedure.  She said definitely having a baby.   So I'm good!

I got Diane's block in the afternoon mail it is exquisite.   Linny did such an awesome job.  The little dragon is precious.    I love the colors in this block.  There so very classic and well balanced.   Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm going to start sketching this evening.

Stephanie--- The interesting part about my graft is it will be bovine, that's right cow.   My mom said "Well that's good you've always liked beef."

Linny--- I can't wait to see your finish product it sounds incredible.

Lillie--- Thanks for the information on the bone graft.   I have to admit I'm a little nervous but I think that is probably normal.   I also hate that it is taking a huge chunk of our budget to do all of this.   But I guess that's why I get up and go to work everyday.

Diane--- Your going to love your block!

Jo---  I hope you are doing ok. 

Darlene--- How's the stitch coming?

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Robin:
She said just to take pain meds as they are prescribed and sleep for the first twenty four hours then I could start tapering off.    I asked her which was worst having a baby or this procedure.  She said definitely having a baby.   So I'm good!

That's great news. I think mine was a bit worse because the dentist prescribed me only three pain pills and Walgreens shorted me one! It was on a weekend and I didn't have the heart to call the dentist. And how do you go back to a pharmacy and tell them they shorted you a drug that was a controlled substance? My dentist reamed me over not calling. So if you're in pain, don't do like me. Call.

Can't compare mine to child birth. LOL. I had Paul in 5 hours, with no epidural, lost too much fluid, went into natural shock and felt like I could dance across a  ballroom floor. I was so not in pain, that I hopped right out of my bed and into the recovery room bed, refusing the help of the nurses. Wish I could have bottled that. LOL It wasn't until I looked behind me ,at the trail of blood I'd left behind that I might have realized, it wasn't the smartest thing to do.Oops.

It's really incredible looking back. You hear about tragic accidents where someone that has broken legs, etc, have been able to rescue someone else, and not feel the pain. I can testify to that. I'd have to say it was the most amazing experience I've had in my life. Unfortunately, like pain meds, endorphin's wear off too. Bummer!

I liked feeling like Superwoman.. Better yet, when I held him, the Great Protector!   Well, darn it, 24 hours later, I have to admit, the endorphin's  wear off. But,  in a better way. You feel the pain, but no bloat, weird dreams, cotton mouth, etc.  Hate pain med's side effects. Hate'em... It's like the first day, you feel great, maybe two if your lucky, and then the side effects, gross tiredness, pain, dehydration, constipation, and God only knows what other side effects kick in. Sorry to go off topic, in relating to your friends experience.It's a flaw in my character that  needs work. Or an ongoing desire to help people by sharing. 

Like most intelligent people, you will gather information relative to your circumstances and take it for what it is. Just like anyone's unique body and circumstance, your's will be an experience to be shared on it's own. Physically, and mentally, it's all relative. Because you matter! Because we care about you, and what you are going through personally.

LOL about your Mom's comment. God love her generation. They have a knack for simplifying things in  our ever so increasingly. complicated world. 

I'm sending some blessings for you, not only for relief in pain, but financially as well.  If I could I would surely be there financially for you.

When do you have to go? 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,338
Points 113,550
Linny t replied on Thu, Apr 3 2014 7:46 PM

Stephanie:
I thought our habit was to buy stuff and make room for it. LOL.
 It is, but I need the room now to make more room for it, lol.  Audra tells me I could open a store with my stash, lol.  It is fun to buy more, though, isn't it?  If I keep doing it I'll have to start making some quilts out of guilt I have for the size of my stash, lol.  

Stephanie:
Are you thinking of the radiance fabric?
 Yes, I am.  I don't have any yet, but as they're described I think they might work.

Isn't that funny,now.  Talking about not buying any more fabric in one sentence and then talking about buying some in the next?  It's an illness, I'm telling you, lol.

Linny T

Page 105 of 256 (3832 items) «Prev103104105106107Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use