rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,278
Points 135,278
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:09 AM

Linny t:

That is a fantastic idea, Diane.  Maybe Stephanie will have to make one for her Featherweight.  Wouldn't that be adorable?

Oh my yes. The wheels are turning. LOL

I have since found out that it's a model 99, and the featherweights are models 221 and 222. Not disappointed a bit that it's not a featherweight.It's still a treasure to me. I researched the top 100 female names for 1926 and down at the very bottom of the list was "Violet."  That was the one that I decided to name her. : ) 

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,278
Points 135,278
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:12 AM

Linny t:
She was doing an art quilt that was a picture of a "gramma" type person sitting in a chair.  She researched doll making to get it just perfect.  The blog about it was amazing to follow.

I'm definitely going to have to go back and go thru her blog. So inspiring.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,852
Points 106,430
Linny t replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:57 AM

Stephanie, I just think it's darling that you named your Singer "Violet".  I had an aunt named Violet and always loved her name.  Who cares that she's not a featherweight?  She's a sweet old darling and she's yours.  I just love your affection for this little Singer.  In my mind I put together the name with the idea of a CQ cover and oh, what a delightful image came into my mind.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,852
Points 106,430
Linny t replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:01 AM

Diane:
Amazing story Linny!  I read that it may take a couple of days for mine to fully hatch after the process starts.  That one was ready and you were so kind to him.

Diane, it was cool outside that day and I've always felt that it was the heat of my hand that kind of "woke him up".

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:04 AM

Diane:

I just had a thought.  I am interested in making a sewing machine cover.  My machine is in my living room so it would be great to get rid of the plastic cover and replace it with a gorgeous crazy quilt cover!!!

That's a great idea Diane.

I was wondering if we'd like to consider creating our own projects and then send them around the group for embellishment. In Diane's case, she would send the fabric that she wanted to use as the sewing machine cover and we embellish it. Someone else might send the fabric they want to use as the Victorian purse. I might send the piece I want to use as a small wall hanging. 

Just a thought.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:05 AM

Linny t:

One time when I was gardening, I picked up a clay pot that had another clay pot inside it.  When I pulled them apart a tiny egg fell onto my hand.  I held it, open handed, and felt it jiggle.  Low and behold, it hatched right then and a baby lizard crawled out of it, no bigger than my thumbnail.  I held it for a bit in complete amazement, then put it inside the pot I'd taken out and covered it with leaves so it could hide until it was ready to defend itself.  I thought of it as a little miracle.

What a lovely story Linny. I can picture you standing there watching the lizard hatch and then crawl around your hand.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,278
Points 135,278
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:22 AM

Lillie:

I was wondering if we'd like to consider creating our own projects and then send them around the group for embellishment. In Diane's case, she would send the fabric that she wanted to use as the sewing machine cover and we embellish it. Someone else might send the fabric they want to use as the Victorian purse. I might send the piece I want to use as a small wall hanging. 

That would be fine with me. Everything still starts off with a block basically.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,278
Points 135,278
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:40 AM

Linny t:

Stephanie, I just think it's darling that you named your Singer "Violet".  I had an aunt named Violet and always loved her name.  Who cares that she's not a featherweight?  She's a sweet old darling and she's yours.  I just love your affection for this little Singer.  In my mind I put together the name with the idea of a CQ cover and oh, what a delightful image came into my mind.

I'd have to say you've inspired my love for vintage. What's that saying, "What was once old is now new again." More than a machine, but a lovely memory of our trip. I have a Pegasus/unicorn  clock that I may have tossed years ago, but everytime I look at it I'm reminded of a trip we took with Paul at the age of five or so. He picked that clock out from a little country store in NC on the way home. He and Mike sent me out of the store and they came out with a secret surprise for me. Sentimental. I wonder if when we're gone Paul will have the heart to throw it away. 

That's neat that you had an aunt named Violet. It really is a pretty name.    

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,861
Points 61,395
Robin replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:00 AM

Good Morning You Wonderful Creative People,

I have so loved the stories about lizards, and violets and things this past 24 hours.   I can't get over how things seem to always intertwine on this site.   I love the that about this group.

Today I'm going to see my mom.  I thought it was just going to be a Robin thing but I'm blessed that the whole crew has decided to come along.   I'm taking a pan of homemade lasagna for us to enjoy for lunch.   I've got to stop on the way and pick up some bread, salad and a little more cheese.    

I like all of the ideas that I'm hearing for the project.  I'm game for anything.

Yesterday was a every good day.  Got several things accomplished.  Completed the third round of blocks on my Alaska quilt and figure out the border, finished the garters for the wedding for the girl who I did the shower for last weekend, painted the trim around the front door.  I'm ashamed to say it was still the color it was when we installed the door.  It looks much better.  

The lace came off one of her Grandma's dress.   She just recently past, so it adds a touch of sentimental value.  When I originally ask for some lace they didn't think she had anything with lace but they call me and said they had found a little bit.   It doesn't quite make it all the way around but it won't show with that in the back. 

Anyway it's done and that makes me a happy camper.

You guys have a great day.  The sun is out and shining.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,925
Points 38,605
Diane replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:15 AM

Linny t:
Diane, it was cool outside that day and I've always felt that it was the heat of my hand that kind of "woke him up".

You are right Linny.  When lizards get too cold, they can't move sometimes.  What a wonderful thing to witness.  I hope I'll be seeing it soon--and taking pictures! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,278
Points 135,278
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:26 PM

Robin,

Wow!!! The garters are beautiful. You did a fabulous job on them. Sounds like you are making great strides on your Alaska quilt too. WTG.

WTG on getting your trim painted too. You have been a busy lady!

Hope you have a wonderful family dinner at your Mom's.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 7:48 AM

Robin,

The garters are really beautiful. And it's wonderful that the lace was from her Grandma. Something to treasure for years to come.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,861
Points 61,395
Robin replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 9:53 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your Sunday is looking bright and beautiful.  I know that it won't be long before mine are hectic and busy.

Donn and I leave tomorrow to go to a conference in Ponte Verde.  I'm hoping to stop at some quilt shops on the way since I haven't been to one all summer and I need to find fabrics for my niece's Christmas Quilt.  Browns and Turquoises her Mama said was her current favorites.

Today I'm going to tackle the laundry, pack and sew some.  

Thanks for the compliments on the garters.   I was really pleased and surprised with how well they turned out.   I just hope they fit correctly and I don't have to make adjustments. 

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,925
Points 38,605
Diane replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 5:21 PM

The garters are so pretty Robin!  I made my own garter for my wedding---wish I could have kept it.  I will be looking forward to seeing your Alaskan quilt.  Would you post pics of what you've done so far?  I am very interested in Alaska and I watch all of the shows to learn how they live.  Like "Life Below Zero",  "The Last Frontier" Buying Alaska" and whatever else I see.  These are people who live off the land--hunt and fish.  Don't know about the city life there but I get the idea that alcohol is a problem from the show "Alaskan State Troopers". So interesting and the scenery is gorgeous!  You are lucky that you got to see the beauty first hand!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,852
Points 106,430
Linny t replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 6:01 PM

Robin, the garters are perfect.  Now she has her something borrowed, something blue.  You did a wonderful job on them.  She's going to love them!

Linny T

Page 89 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev8788899091Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use