rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:15 PM

Lillie:
I'm so excited. We have all the wood cut for my table and now I'm going to start priming all the pieces. I decided to go with a spray can of low odor Kilz, well 2 cans actually. I'll see how that works on one board first. If the spray doesn't work, I'll switch to a brush and can of paint.  I just thought the spray would go quicker than the brush. Then I'll wait 24 hours and start painting everything white enamel.

I'm excited for you! You'll be so glad you bought the low odor Kilz. The regular just kills me. But it's such good stuff. It sands so much easier than other primers. Are you going to topcoat with oil or waterbase? Gloss or low sheen?

Sherwin Williams has a really good water base enamel out now. Pro Classic. We're trying to switch over as much as we can to waterbase now just for the fume and enviromental factor. And the drying time is so much faster too. The down side is if you put your cutting mat on too soon it may bond to it. We had some customers that banked a headboard onto walls that only had two days to dry and when they went to put the bed back together the headboard peeled the paint off the wall and was stuck. You may know all this, but just in case I'd wait at least a week and maybe put a sheet under for the first month.  

I've tried using my windows to trace but I have a North South exposure and between the shade of the trees and the patio  overhang it doesn't offer much light. I have plans to use it for business too. It'll be perfect to make designs for hand cut stencils.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:20 PM

normajo1030:
It is a test to evaluate the function of my balance system.  It will probably show that it is just old age. lol  

I hope that's all it is Jo, or at least something easily treatable. I would imagine you were worn out after spending the whole day. It's good to hear George is up and at 'em these days. He sounds like Mike. He's always ready to go.

Keep us posted on the results... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:22 PM

Linny t:
Yes, pretty much.  She still has the old place up for sale, so that takes some of her time.  She had an offer yesterday, so just hoping it all goes throug.

I hope so too. I'm sure she'll be relieved when it's all finished and behind her. Hope she can make some bucks too. Prices are on the upswing down here.

Linny t:

Diane, if you're still lurking...miss you posts.  Can't wait to hear how the eggs are doing...

Me too. Miss you....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:33 PM

Stephanie:

normajo1030:
It is a test to evaluate the function of my balance system.  It will probably show that it is just old age. lol  

I hope that's all it is Jo, or at least something easily treatable. I would imagine you were worn out after spending the whole day. It's good to hear George is up and at 'em these days. He sounds like Mike. He's always ready to go.

Keep us posted on the results... 

Well, I should have taken the time to read the whole thing, right?  Then I'd have known that you told me what I asked.  This happens when I try to post while I have work going on, too.  Sorry 'bout that, Jo.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:34 PM

We had a good day too. Lots of positives in the work day, and on the way home I found some pretty handles for my drawers I framed out earlier this month. 

The guys were upbeat and we have locked in a new builder. One that has a reputation of paying well and on time. He already has work in three untis for us all in the same building. Cool. Business has picked up so much, and I'm so  thankful. I do miss having as much time off as last summer, but the alternative is stash building and goodness knows we all need more stash. LOL     

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:36 PM

Stephanie:

I hope so too. I'm sure she'll be relieved when it's all finished and behind her. Hope she can make some bucks too. Prices are on the upswing down here.

I don't think she'll get any of the profit, even if there is one.  It's a short sale.  I don't know how they work except the bank has to decide if they will accept the offer.  She has a lawyer, so hopefully it will be fair for her.  I wish it was over for her already.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 6:06 PM

Stephanie:

We had a good day too. Lots of positives in the work day, and on the way home I found some pretty handles for my drawers I framed out earlier this month. 

The guys were upbeat and we have locked in a new builder. One that has a reputation of paying well and on time. He already has work in three untis for us all in the same building. Cool. Business has picked up so much, and I'm so  thankful. I do miss having as much time off as last summer, but the alternative is stash building and goodness knows we all need more stash. LOL     

Happy for you having a good day, Stephanie.  Also that you locked in with this new builder.  Imagine how nice it will be to actually not have to fight to get a draw.  I hear that about stash building.  It's almost as fun as making things.  Why is it that so often we either have time or money, but so seldom the both together?  One of my favorite justifications to getting more stash is the concept that I'll have stuff on hand if I come to a place where I have time and no money, lol.  Hey, it doesn't take much for me to justify buying stash.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 6:08 PM

Did everyone notice the notice at the top of the page about the site being down tomorrow at midnight?  Nice that they let us know that way.  

Diane, is there anything I can do to help?  You have my PM, so if you need help, just let me know.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 8:26 PM

Linny t:
It's a short sale.  I don't know how they work except the bank has to decide if they will accept the offer.  She has a lawyer, so hopefully it will be fair for her.

Paul said the banks are tightening up on just accepting anything with property values going up. I hope it will be fair too. And over soon...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jul 18 2013 8:36 PM

Linny t:
 Why is it that so often we either have time or money, but so seldom the both together?  One of my favorite justifications to getting more stash is the concept that I'll have stuff on hand if I come to a place where I have time and no money, lol.  Hey, it doesn't take much for me to justify buying stash.

Isn't that the truth! And yes, I believe I may have used that justification myself. LOL

Linny t:
Imagine how nice it will be to actually not have to fight to get a draw.

I will feel so blessed. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 7:12 AM

Stephanie:

I'm excited for you! You'll be so glad you bought the low odor Kilz. The regular just kills me. But it's such good stuff. It sands so much easier than other primers. Are you going to topcoat with oil or waterbase? Gloss or low sheen?

Sherwin Williams has a really good water base enamel out now. Pro Classic. We're trying to switch over as much as we can to waterbase now just for the fume and enviromental factor. And the drying time is so much faster too. The down side is if you put your cutting mat on too soon it may bond to it. We had some customers that banked a headboard onto walls that only had two days to dry and when they went to put the bed back together the headboard peeled the paint off the wall and was stuck. You may know all this, but just in case I'd wait at least a week and maybe put a sheet under for the first month.  

Thanks for the info about Sherwin Williams. I had not even thought about them. I would love to use a waterbase enamel. So much easier on the clean-up. I will probably use a low sheen as I don't like real shiny furniture.

I'm planning on ordering one of these mats without the grids. http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-cutting-mats--knifes----sissors-cutting-mats-super-size-cutting-mats.html .  We are using MDF (cuz DH already purchased it and cut it to size-I wanted to use hollow doors for the top cuz they are already finished on all 4 sides and are so much lighter than MDF) and now I have to figure out something to finish the sides of the MDF with that will not snag fabric.

I was thinking of covering the entire top with muslin, which would hide the sides of the MDF and then place the mat on top of that. I really wanted to have the mat stay in place and not slide around. Wonder what to do about this?

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 7:18 AM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
It's a short sale.  I don't know how they work except the bank has to decide if they will accept the offer.  She has a lawyer, so hopefully it will be fair for her.

Paul said the banks are tightening up on just accepting anything with property values going up. I hope it will be fair too. And over soon...

During my lunch with my quilting ladies, one of them mentioned that property values in AZ have gone up 23% in just one year. Not sure if it's all of AZ or just a specific city/area.

All of my friends who put their homes on the market this year sold them within 2-days at full asking price. The only one who did not sell their home, is asking $1.2 mil. Just a tad bit more expensive that all the others that sold immediately.  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,075
Points 66,425
Robin replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:13 AM

Good Morning one and all,

Happy Friday Everyone,

Today is all about cupcakes and icing.  Got a little behind yesterday so today we will be playing catch up.

A bit of sadness going on in my world right now.  Donn's precious Grandma has taken a turn for the worst.   She is 93 years young and has been such a part of our lives for the past 26 years.  She lives in an assisted nursing facility and uses Hospice not as a end of life choice but as aged medical care.  She apparently went by ambulance last week to the Hospice House to receive intravenous antibiotics for a uti as recommended by the 2 Hospice nurses that serve the facility, it was the weekend and this way she could get them started quickly and be back home in  a couple of days.   The doctor asked if she hurt and she said yes (what 93 year old doesn't)  so he prescribed morphine for her pain.   She is now in a catatonia state and they don't know if she will come out if it.  He apparently did this on the assumption that she had congestitive heart failure (diagnosis 20 years ago) and not knowing she had arthritis.  It appears as if he did not read her chart before prescribing the medication.  As you can imagine on top of being heart broken Donn is pretty upset with the care she received as is his mom and the rest of the family.  

Laurie heard from the doctor and the Acid test revealed that her Acid is higher at night while she is sleeping.  So they are changing her meds routine to see if they can get it under control.  They will check on it in 6 weeks.

Linny,  It is terrific that Barb got an offer on her house so quickly.   Where I live the world seems to literally be stopped.  We are one of two counties in Florida were the job rate has not turn around.  We have no industries to speak of and no potential for growth.  Because of this nothing is moving and things seem to be getting slower (I won't say worst) everyday.  There is a house next door to me that the family has deserted months ago.  The yard in the front has been mowed once the back looks like forest in weeds.  The asking price is less than they have in the house and rumor is the bank would likely take half of that.  It makes it very scary sometimes living in my home town. 

Lillie, Your project sounds like it is really moving a long.  I love the idea of a true cutting station.  I know that you and DH are having fun putting it together.  When you get the room all set up you will have to post pictures and take us on a tour.

Diane,  Terrific news about your eggs.  I hope your able to get back on line soon.

Stephanie,  How do you keep the dogs out of the water?  Molly (the family yorkie) gets in some almost every time she goes outside. 

Jo,  What is the next project for you? 

I thought next week was going to be a sewing week but yesterday Laurie's boyfriend showed up and started pressure washing the house.  He's done it for the last several years and I just as soon pay him as anyone else.  Anyway, he got the porch (which is actually concrete) pressure wash yesterday, and I had planned on painting it after he pressure washed with a new product from Lowe's that seals the concrete it's suppose to basically resurface the area.  So I guess next week will be painting instead of sewing, or painting and sewing.  Suggestions on color ?  The house is white, the shutters are black the door is red.  I'm leaning towards a dark gray but I'm not totally sure. 

Hope you all have a sweet day !  (being up to my elbows in icing and cupcakes I'm sure I will)

Robin :)

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:21 AM

Lillie:

I was thinking of covering the entire top with muslin, which would hide the sides of the MDF and then place the mat on top of that. I really wanted to have the mat stay in place and not slide around. Wonder what to do about this?

I just had a thought about this. I found a 1 1/2 inch half round moulding (Pic below) that would be perfect if you're going to use a hollow door for the top. It would ony take a few miter cuts to finish off. You could trim the side of the tabletop with this as sand the corners so they're not pointy and it would finish off the edges so that fabric wouldn't grab. Also if you put them on 5/32 above the surface of the edge your mat would fit right in there like a framed picture with no slippage.

Pic of half round:  

Once you prime the mdf you should be able to sand it smooth so it won't snag. It just burrs up during priming and once it's sanded and finish coated it should be as smooth as furniture. Are you going to put locking wheels on it so you can move it to vacuum under? I put them on the heavy  wood pub table on the back porch and I love being able to move it around easily when I need to. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:37 AM

Robin,

I am so sorry to hear about the condition of Don's grandma. My prayers are with you. I hope the new meds work for Laurie. Maybe drinking some aloe water at night would help too. Mike swears by it.

The dogs love that water. They run around and play mostly in the day. Thank goodness they dry fast. At night they usually steer clear of it. Must be instinct that they don't want to go to nighty night all wet. I think all but Gabby and the mountain dog we've been dogsitting have grown bored with it. They don't go in as much.

Robin:
Suggestions on color ?  The house is white, the shutters are black the door is red.  I'm leaning towards a dark gray but I'm not totally sure. 
  dark gray sounds really nice. Paul's is a gray green color and I can't believe how much cooler the color makes it seem in these hot temps. I'm sure the dark gray would have the same effect. I think it would really make the greens and flowers of the yard pop too.

Have fun with your baking. The smell of cupcakes seems heavenly right now.

Page 83 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev8182838485Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use