rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 11:58 AM

Stephanie:
Did you ever read the book Tuesdays with Morrie? I have a link to some of the quotes in the book:  http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1995335-tuesdays-with-morrie 
 My sister gave me this book just last weekend.  She found it while we were cleaning.  Now I have to read it.
Stephanie:
I guess with all this chatting on, I've just come to be open to the thoughts that there are life lessons eveywhere when we seek them. I'm so happy that we've chatted about it, because it's helped draw me back into reflection myself. 
  Cool.  I'm just looking to get a sense of quality of life, instead of just making it through a day.  A body gets to feeling dry with that kind of life.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,015
Points 64,955
Robin replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:46 PM

Stephanie,

I love that book.  Your so right about the life lessons being everywhere if we will just open ourselves up to them. 

I hope that  you all are having a great day.  

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883

Linny t:
I'm just looking to get a sense of quality of life, instead of just making it through a day.  A body gets to feeling dry with that kind of life.

So true Linny. I get to where I'm so tired of the monotony of it all and find myself in search of something deeper and more meaningful.

Part of my job, and I'm sure it's part of everyone's is dealing with some very difficult and really obssesive personalities. The expectations for perfection in everything far exceed anything imaginable and so many tiny details can really upset them. It's hard for us, because we follow substandard work from carpenters and drywall people and once that primer and paint goes on all the flaws of their work come through. They come back to try to fix it and we reprime and repaint only to have the process repeat itself until they get it right. It's frustrating and often costs us a lot of money, and a lot of the time we end up doing their work and ours too, just so we don't have to continually make trips back. Some of the problems are justified, but often I find that it goes far beyond a "normal"persons thoughts. For instance, if your closet had a nail pop would it stress you out? And on the other side, don't people care any more about the quality of work they do? And even another side that is anything men/women do perfect?

It's times like this that I find myself searching and looking to manage some harmony through it all. Trying not to be angry at the trades, and yet in wonder of the anal retentiveness and how anyone comes to the point that minute details can take over their very thoughts. Part of me finds it fascinating, and the other part so overwhelmed I need to find balance. It's times like this that I have to take a step back and ask myself, what really matters? Have I paid enough attention to my family? Or am I making people a priority that I may never pass this way again while I leave everything that is truly important to me sit on the back burner? And for what? Money? Pride? Ego? Job security?

It's times like these that bring me back to what's real. Bringing my family back into priority, and letting the experiences of the rest become the "shadows" of my work as an artist. They will take their place as the "blacks and grays" of my work while the lights of my life will come through as the true blessings they are.. For every darkness there is light.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883

Robin:
I hope that  you all are having a great day. 

We had a great day. Thank you. Hope you did too.

We came home and enjoyed the evening after rain time with the dogs frolicing around, and much to my surprise the hydrangea that I thought was dying had new new growth, and the maple tree that I had grown from a seedling for seven years that Mike had lopped off during his "weed" trimming has grown new leaves. Don't know if it will ever be a tree again, but to see it in full leaf made me smile.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:28 PM

Stephanie:
It's times like these that bring me back to what's real. Bringing my family back into priority, and letting the experiences of the rest become the "shadows" of my work as an artist. They will take their place as the "blacks and grays" of my work while the lights of my life will come through as the true blessings they are.. For every darkness there is light.

Stephanie, this is so beautifully said it made tears come to my eyes.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:30 PM

Stephanie:
We came home and enjoyed the evening after rain time with the dogs frolicing around, and much to my surprise the hydrangea that I thought was dying had new new growth, and the maple tree that I had grown from a seedling for seven years that Mike had lopped off during his "weed" trimming has grown new leaves. Don't know if it will ever be a tree again, but to see it in full leaf made me smile.

Life finds a way, doesn't it?  Sounds like a magical evening.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883

Linny,

Thank you for the compliments on my ponderings.

Linny t:

Life finds a way, doesn't it?  Sounds like a magical evening.

It was magical. One of those early eves that I have only experienced in Florida. Just after the rain, and the sun peeks through and makes the greens of the grass and trees take on a glow.  The spring greens of the new growth become almost flourescent. Fresh and invigorating.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 9:14 AM

Sunsets in Florida are famous, but sometimes I think folks miss how beautiful they are away from the sea.  There's just something about the angle of the sun and how it lights up the inner branches of the trees with a golden glow.  For the trees it's like a big finale to their show of grandeur and beauty before the night steels the stage.  My favorite time of the day.

I just came in from my back yard and thought of your post, Stephanie, noticing new things.  I have a patch of lilies around a bird bath in the center of my back yard.  One of them is blooming, unbelievably.  They usually only bloom around Easter.  It was such a pleasant surprise.  Shorter than the Easter bunch, but lovely still.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday.  

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 9,170

Stephanie:
For instance, if your closet had a nail pop would it stress you out

I would hang something on it.  lol   I know what you mean, although I have never witnessed it to the extent that you have.  I made some apliance covers for my kitchen that have the saying  "Bloom where you are planted"  and I try to live by that.  Adjust to whatever comes your way! 

OMG, Stephanie, I loved your post about your work and what you go through, it brings to light what your job is really like.  It is also great the way you rationalize things. I call it just being practical and a good person.  In Christian Love, Jo

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 9,170

normajo1030:
I am going to make an apron out of a man's shirt that I saw on line

Sat. 6/8/13.....I put this in yesterday, but it didn't appear.  I made the man/shirt apron in the afternoon. I sewed the placket shut after I had buttoned it and I made a pocket across the front and sewed two lines to divide it. I used one of the sleves for the pocket, using the hem for the top of the pocket. I purchased the shirt from the Goodwill store. I hope it comes through this time.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883

normajo1030:
I would hang something on it.  lol  

LOL, me too.

normajo1030:
I made some apliance covers for my kitchen that have the saying  "Bloom where you are planted"  and I try to live by that.  Adjust to whatever comes your way! 

I like that saying, and thank you for your inspiration of being practical and a good person. Christian Love right back at ya! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,883

normajo1030:

normajo1030:

Sat. 6/8/13.....I put this in yesterday, but it didn't appear.  I made the man/shirt apron in the afternoon. I sewed the placket shut after I had buttoned it and I made a pocket across the front and sewed two lines to divide it. I used one of the sleves for the pocket, using the hem for the top of the pocket. I purchased the shirt from the Goodwill store. I hope it comes through this time.

I LOVE THIS! I really do. It's so cool looking with the collar and button front. What fun. Thanks for sharing!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,155
Points 111,105
Linny t replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 1:35 PM

Jo, I just love your shirt apron.  How clever!  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,087
Points 41,650
Diane replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 1:52 PM

Very cool Normajo!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:13 PM

normajo1030:

normajo1030:

Sat. 6/8/13.....I put this in yesterday, but it didn't appear.  I made the man/shirt apron in the afternoon. I sewed the placket shut after I had buttoned it and I made a pocket across the front and sewed two lines to divide it. I used one of the sleeves for the pocket, using the hem for the top of the pocket. I purchased the shirt from the Goodwill store. I hope it comes through this time.

OMGosh! What a clever idea Jo.

northern colorado

Page 52 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev5051525354Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use