This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 8:53 AM

Norma Doll:

Lillie:
So, does anyone besides Stephanie and me want to do an ornament exchange?

I wouldn't be interested in doing an ornament exchange. We don't do any decorating for Christmas. Today is the last day of our Lectorship. :<)  Then tomorrow I start my physical therapy.   Nothing new here.   Hugs, Jo

That's ok Jo.

Linny and I have chatted before about how crazy we get at decorating for Christmas. I don't see that ending anytime soon. LOL. I made ornaments for my family one year when I was very young and every year someone still comments about still having them. Makes me smile, because they were so simplistic with just cottons and bits of ric rac. They had shapes though and stuffed with poly fil. I made 12 sets of six  ornaments that year. I remember the next year the movie ET came out and a friend and I got together and made little ET faces painted on whole walnuts with Santa hats made of felt and a string to hang them. They were a big hit.   She showed me how to make standing angels too. I had some old fancy napkins that I used to drape the clothing and we sprayed them gold. We used paper mache base to dip the fabrics in so they'd dry hard and in place. Great memories..... 

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,180
Points 111,470
Linny t replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:14 AM

gini:
i was trying to figure out how you did crazy quilting in the round, these are flat ornaments then?   that sounds easier,  i migt be interested this year,  how big are you thinking.
 Not so big they'd look bad on a reg. sized tree.  Maybe, what, 3.5 or 4" around or less.  I was thinking of doing a piece of CQ patching and then going at it with a template and cutting out the ornament shapes.  You could get a bunch that way.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,180
Points 111,470
Linny t replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 11:22 AM

Norma Doll:

Lillie:
So, does anyone besides Stephanie and me want to do an ornament exchange?

I wouldn't be interested in doing an ornament exchange. We don't do any decorating for Christmas. Today is the last day of our Lectorship. :<)  Then tomorrow I start my physical therapy.   Nothing new here.   Hugs, Jo

Sorry you won't be joining in, Jo, but I understand.  What is your Lectorship?  Good luck with your PT.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 41,790
Diane replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 4:06 PM

Linny---Maybe we could start in August next year for the ornament exchange.  For me, it would be better.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 41,790
Diane replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 4:13 PM

I think larger ornaments would be good too--maybe 5 or 6 inches. To hang somewhere around the house.  I don't always put up a tree but I do some decorating.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 41,790
Diane replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 4:37 PM

Stephanie---when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I went to a doctor who treats diabetes.  I can't spell the word--an endocrinologist.  There it is.  He put me on a 900  calorie diet to lose weight.  All protein.  I stuck to the diet and lost a lot of weight that month where I looked so different.  I had insulin reactive diabetes as a pre diabetic.  Where if I ate too many carbs, my blood sugar would spike and then drop low.  So  I always carried--during the strict diet---a small box of raisins to eat.  I found that my energy remained even as well as my blood sugar.  The doctor was shocked when he saw me. LOL

I think weight watchers is an ideal for type II diabetes which is what you have I think.  Eventually, mine became type I and I now produce no insulin---so grateful for this pump.

Medicare made me get a test to see how much insulin I have which is none.

There is also a test that you can get every 3 months called A1C.  It gives you an average of what your blood sugar has been.  Also, take your blood sugar before meals and 2 hours after to see how your food affected you.  You will get better control that way.  Write it down and show your doctor so your treatment will be better.

Many  doctors who have diabetes get on the pump fairly quickly for themselves to get better control but are slow to order it for their patients--don't know why.  It is a learning curve.  Also, make sure your doctor is an endocrinologist.  Internists don't know the ins and outs of treatment as well.

Well, that's my lecture for today!(o:

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,180
Points 111,470
Linny t replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:03 PM

Diane:

Linny---Maybe we could start in August next year for the ornament exchange.  For me, it would be better.

Maybe we'll do it every year in August.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:28 PM

Diane:
put me on a 900  calorie diet to lose weight.  All protein.  I stuck to the diet and lost a lot of weight that month where I looked so different.  I had insulin reactive diabetes as a pre diabetic.  Where if I ate too many carbs, my blood sugar would spike and then drop low.

OMG. 900 calories. That had to be rough. I admire you being able to do that. I think I'm the same with the spikes after carbs and drops, and I just read something interesting in that caffeine can lower your blood sugar levels. Makes me think that pounding my system with all the coffee and Diet Dew in the morning might have contributed to the really bad crashes I was getting before lunch. Thanks for the info about the raisins. I'll make sure to keep some around.

I'm doing a combination of tracking in WW, and following the Atkins diet starting tomorrow. Low carb, low sugar is what he wants, and the Atkins is more geared for that. I ordered a carb journal as well so  I can track them, and compare them to the calories of WW. I'm serious about this, and if diet can control it, then diet it is. I haven't missed sweets, but I sure miss my salty snacks. LOL

I think the A1C is what he did if it's in a lab blood test. He wasn't real concerned when he pricked my finger, but when the lab tests came back they called right away. 

I'm sorry to hear that after all the dieting you ended up as a Type 1 diabetic. Your body produces no insulin at all? How long have you had to be on insulin? What is insulin reactive?

I have a friend with one of those pumps. He's been diabetic since birth, and it has played a huge factor in the last few years for him in keeping himself level. Lecture me anytime. This is something to me that takes aggressive action at my age.

I have another motivator for weight loss as well with Paul and Melissa planning a wedding next November. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:29 PM

Linny t:
Maybe we'll do it every year in August.

Now there's a plan! :0)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:35 PM

Diane:
I think larger ornaments would be good too--maybe 5 or 6 inches. To hang somewhere around the house.  I don't always put up a tree but I do some decorating.

Oooh,  they'd be pretty hanging around. Just made me think of something to hang them. I've used applique pins to hang wall hangings, etc,  and they leave such a teeny hole you barely even see it.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 41,790
Diane replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 8:45 PM

Stephanie---Insulin reactive means how you body reacts to insulin.  Like you body is shocked by all the carbs and you pancreas reacts with loads of insulin.

I was 44 when I was diagnosed.  I controlled it with medication for a while---maybe 5 years.  My brother has Type I and kept telling me to get on the pump.  I was giving myself 6 shots a day by the time I was 53.  That's when I asked for the pump.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 6:02 AM

I would need to start before Aug as I'm not very fast with CQ. It really takes me a while to figure out what I want to do. Are we thinking an ornament exchange with all participants? Six participants means we all make 6 ornaments? Or draw names and you make 1 ornament for that person?

I've had this one under the sea block for about 2 weeks and have ripped out one of the plants three times. Last night I FINALLY got the plant looking the way I wanted it to look.  lol   It will be another two weeks before it's finished. Really! A 6-1/2 inch block is going to take me a month. What is wrong with me!!!???!?!  lol

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:05 AM

Diane:
I was 44 when I was diagnosed.  I controlled it with medication for a while---maybe 5 years.  My brother has Type I and kept telling me to get on the pump.  I was giving myself 6 shots a day by the time I was 53.  That's when I asked for the pump.

Gee whiz! 6 shots a day! You really have had much more than your share of health issues. That and the fibromyalgia too. You poor lady.... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:19 AM

Lillie, I'm not sure what the plan would be. We'd all have to work that out.

Lillie:

I've had this one under the sea block for about 2 weeks and have ripped out one of the plants three times. Last night I FINALLY got the plant looking the way I wanted it to look.  lol   It will be another two weeks before it's finished. Really! A 6-1/2 inch block is going to take me a month. What is wrong with me!!!???!?!  lol

Awe, how frustrating for you to have to rip that plant out three times. Maybe a quick doodle sketch or two before you start stitching it on would help. I have to do that sometimes to get a feel of the right curve, or direction. There's nothing wrong with you. These little things take big decisions sometimes when we want everything just so.   

The ornaments wouldn't take much that way I think. If you took our normal 12 inch block and split it into cubes it would divide into 9 four inch blocks, or 4 six inch blocks. You really can't fit that many fabrics into them if you want to have room for seams so I think they could go really quickly. A few seam treatments, a charm or two, some beads and they're done. I was thinking of putting a little polyfill in mine to give them a little poof.

Anyway, since everyone is busy this year we have time to work out details...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,403
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 7:20 AM

Robin,

We miss you. Hope you're doing ok...

Page 127 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev125126127128129Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use