My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,875
Linny t replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 6:49 PM

I just wanted to let you all know I heard from Diane.  She's having technical trouble with her password to the site.  She sends her regards and we're doing everything we know to help her get this sorted out.  

I'm so glad you're okay, Diane.  We were a bit worried about you.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:08 AM

Linny t:

Lillie:

Linny t:

Whatever we decide to make we should probably pick a theme.  

Here are some theme ideas for our vintage piece.

1. All gold (all embellishments are gold; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

2. Cream/white (all embellishments are cream or white; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

3. French inspired

4. Victorian 

5. Only flowers (no buttons-just silks and thread)

6. Asian inspired

Just moving this to the front so we don't loose track of it.  Anyone else got any favorites?

A Summer Garden

Midnight Encrusted  ( all blacks or blacks and dark colors; for evening)

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 6:21 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Today is National Go for Broke day.   Celebrating the Japanese Americans who served in WW II,  on our side.

I hope that you all have a great Friendly Friday.  

l'm starting the day off slow and with 360 brownies waiting for me to bag at school so this post will be short.

It was good to hear from you Stephanie and Jo.   Jo your words of sage advice and wisdom are greatly appreciated.   It's not the distance that is bothering me about my youngest going off it is the danger but I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone who has a child that has left home.   And it's the fact that when she was a baby we were so close and now it is her Daddy that she runs to that I'm having trouble adjusting to.   I know from my experience with the first daughter this to will balance out in time and I just need to be patience.

Stephanie,   Congrats on the the cabinets.  Wish I lived closer so I could take them off of your hands.  Mind are not that old but are definitely not my style think early American, oak stain and brass handles.   I've got to get up the courage to try and do something with them. 

Linny thanks for the update on Diane.   Sorry to hear that she is having so much trouble.   Hope she will be debugged soon and can share some stories about her lovedragons.

Ok really got to run,  360 brownies will never bag themselves.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:01 AM

Hi Jo,

Yes, he is our only child. It is hard having everyone so far away. It's so expensive to go to Japan. I go on average every two years. Except this year we decided to go to Italy while we're still young enough to walk around unassisted. lol

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:05 AM

Linny t:

I just wanted to let you all know I heard from Diane.  She's having technical trouble with her password to the site.  She sends her regards and we're doing everything we know to help her get this sorted out.  

I'm so glad you're okay, Diane.  We were a bit worried about you.

I'm so glad you posted this Linny. I was beginning to worry about Diane. I'm a little concerned that we have not heard from Darlene in a while.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,875
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 10:22 AM

Lillie, Diane said she posted on your Facebook, so you can contact her that way.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,875
Linny t replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 11:26 AM

Robin:

Linny t:

Lillie:

Linny t:

Whatever we decide to make we should probably pick a theme.  

Here are some theme ideas for our vintage piece.

1. All gold (all embellishments are gold; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

2. Cream/white (all embellishments are cream or white; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

3. French inspired

4. Victorian 

5. Only flowers (no buttons-just silks and thread)

6. Asian inspired

Just moving this to the front so we don't loose track of it.  Anyone else got any favorites?

A Summer Garden

Midnight Encrusted  ( all blacks or blacks and dark colors; for evening)

Robin

2 more good suggestions.  Anyone else?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Apr 5 2013 2:56 PM

Linny t:

Lillie, Diane said she posted on your Facebook, so you can contact her that way.

TY Linny. I hardly ever go on FB, but now that I know Diane is posting there, I will be more diligent about it.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:26 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful Friday.    Mine was not to out of the ordinary it was movie day for the students who didn't have any F's or D's on their report cards.  I had some that did so I held them captive in my room to work on the work they had not completed last nine weeks.   I sent them home with what they needed to finish thing up and bring them back in so we could get their grade up.   I really don't mind helping kids that are trying it's the ones that have sat there for nine weeks and done nothing that make me want to go nutty.   But since school policy is nothing below a 50 if the student is trying then I'll do what I have to do.   Amazingly I usually did it before the policy if the kid was trying.   I think what drives me crazy is that if their are people who aren't doing something at our school they make a policy instead of going to that person and saying your not doing ......   Well, making a policy doesn't change the behavior for the ones who aren't going to do it it only changes the behavior of the ones who follow policy.     Sorry I'll get off my soap box.

News on the sink!  They have have finally decided to listen to the person who is going to have to live with the sink.... Me.   They laid in floor tile under the sink this week an no it doesn't match the extisting tile but it blends and is cleanable unlike the wood cabinets they wanted to put under the sink.  They also actually came and seal up the wall they had tore out, level the sink and installed the fixtures.  Next is them completing the actual plumbing and installing the tile I asked for that was at one point to expensive and then when a state administrator was at school became affordable again.   It is suppose to go up next Friday.    Hooray!

Today I plan to work out in my yard as much as possible.  I bought some fresh herbs last night that I'm going to try so I can practice cooking with them.  I hoping to make them into a potted thing on my deck.  I also bought two new succulents last night.   I love them because they are so easy to care for.    I'm also in the process of laying brick around the flower beds in the back yard instead of the landscape timbers that are rotting.  I'm pretty sure I will have to go back and redo this since I'm not putting anything under them right now.  But will see how it looks before we go that far.  I've got lots of them from the fire place we took down 4 or 5 years ago.  So that makes them a good buy.

Also I've been looking at purse patterns on line.   Got to say this project is getting really tempting, so I will probably have to go ahead and work it into my life.  What style of bag is everyone thinking about?  I know Darlene mention one with a flap.    But are you all planning something everydayish or evening or ....

What is everyone else up to today?

Lillie,

Italy sounds like fun.  Will you be in a tour group or off on your own?    It must be so hard not to see your son and his family.  Do you skype with them?

Have a Sunny, Warm with Gentle Breezes kind of day.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,875
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:20 AM

Robin, it's so good to hear you talking about your projects.  I can not believe the sink thing isn't already done!  You've been talking about it for a very long time, haven't you.  Funny how they finally come back to listening to you.  I don't like those kind of policies either.  What is that?  Counter-intuitive and self destructive, I say.  Those kids are lucky to have you saving them from themselves...and the policy makers.

Your garden projects sound really cool.  It's fun to work with recycled brick...hard work, but fun and the payoff is 3-fold...cheap, green and very nice looking.  I've grown herbs before and it was a lot of fun using them in food.  Also, you get to dry the ones you don't use.  They look pretty hanging in bunches upside down in the kitchen.  

I'm so happy you're going to join us in the next RR.  I know that Stephanie and I are leaning toward a Victorian bag.  I saw where Lillie was thinking of a curved hanging to put on one of those table top quilt frames.  We talked about tracing our pattern onto our blocks so we don't have to deal with odd shapes and know where to stop embellishing.  Whatever your heart desires is what I think.  I really liked your idea of describing in the journal what you have in mind for the finished piece..all the elements you'd like to see there.  

I hope you have a wonderful day in your yard.  Makes me want to do the same, but Barb and I are going to a local bead show.  We've never been to one, so it's a little exciting.  I have resisted buying anything much online saving up for this, so we'll see what I come home with.  

Today is supposed to be sunny, warm with gentle breezes kind of day, so it looks like your wish for me at least came true.  Thanks and I wish you the very same.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Good morning to all my quilty friends who worry about me and miss me when I am not around.  It is so kind of you to search me out when I sit and lurk from my phone.

We have had a busy time here in WNY but so is everyone else.  I can't believe how much I read you all are accomplishing lately.  We are awaiting the dates for Tim's next phase in treatments for his tumor.  He has returned to work part time but is not driving because he still has double vision.  He needs to go to the office this morning and so I must be brief.

I am still interested in the RR project and think all the ideas floating around are so inspirational.  I have also been searching patterns which I had sitting around at home.  I have accumulated several over the years thinking I would like to make each of them.  The one which is most frequently jumping back to the top of the pile is two pieces, front and back, with a snap closure.  This seems to fit into my plan. 

I would like my purse to be an everyday purse which I can carry and love.  I am not sure about a theme other than I am planning on using all purple/cream fabrics and would like the embellishments to be purples/creams as well.  So maybe a floral type theme is appropriate.

I like the idea of the journal containing inspirations for those working on each piece but I am not sure what I would include.  I will have to think on this.

Diane, if you are able to read from your e-mail, hope you get your issue resolved soon and can post again.  Glad you are keeping in touch with Linny.

Robin, as Linny said, I can't believe the sink issue is not taken care of yet.  Hoping that will soon be behind you [as in before the end of the year so you don't have to worry about that all summer]. 

I feel your pain with the girls' lives changing which will make your life change as well.  I keep you in my thoughts and prayers during all of this.

Linny, have fun today at the bead show.  Sounds like fun.  I hope you find lots of treasures.

Lillie, when do you leave for Italy?  I am sure you have said but I can't remember.

Stephanie, I hope that your muse sticks around and that your work remains at a manageable level.

Well, I am off to take Tim to the office and then I am heading to an estate sale which a friend sent to me.  Sounds divine.  I already spent more $$ this week than I should have on fabric but can't resist.  She told me the treasures were unbelieveable.

Our day is sunny with a breeze but the air is still chilly. [maybe just too much breeze.]  I really can't wait to ditch the heavy coat.  So tired of bundling up.

Please know that I read all your posts on my phone and think of all of you often.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,333
Points 113,875
Linny t replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 7:16 PM

Hey, Darlene.  Good to hear from you.  I'm excited that you'll be joining us in the RR.  Your everyday purse sounds like a good practical thing to carry around that will make you feel pretty and think of your CQ girlfriends when you're buzzing through your day.  I love lavender and cream combos.  It's going to be fun.

I had a wonderful time at the bead show and came home with lots of treasures, lots of crystals, lots of beads, beads, beads.  I spent too much, but I got so much more than I'd have gotten online for the $, I don't feel bad about it.  You should have seen it.  tables and more tables with strands and hanks of every kind of bead you can imagine all laid out with the sun coming in big windows sparkling up the whole room.  It was like a fairy land.  I wanted one of everything.  It was like being in a candy shop except a whole lot less calories, lol.

Poor Tim, still looking forward to more treatments.  I feel for him.  It has probably done him a world of good to be able to work, albeit part time.  How's your mom doing?  And Kyle?  And your kitty?  I hope everyone is in good health and happy.  You sound busy as usual.  I remember when towards the end of winter and you'd get a day with no heavy jacket.  Then another cold front would roll through and putting on that coat was like wearing a straight jacket.  After awhile it makes the hairs on your arms irritating, lol.  Soon spring will be there to stay and all too soon after that the hot summer.  We'll all be longing for a cold front again.  Have you done any sewing lately?

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny, so glad to hear that you and Barb had a good time at the bead show.  It sounds like a lot of fun.

I am looking forward to the RR.  I have begun to search out the fabrics I will use and am pleased with the collection so far.  I am excited to start this and hope that it doesn't end up in the UFO pile.  By making it my favorite color and using a pattern I have wanted to use for quite some time,  I hope that will be enough incentive.

I spent some time today at an estate sale with my mom.  She used to live not far from where the sale was and was curious about who owned the house and if it was someone she knew.  Turned out that she did not know the person but we had lots of fun.  A crafting friend of mine had been there yesterday and sent me a text to tell me there were lots of craft supplies and fabric.  She guaranteed me I would not be disappointed and she was 100% correct.

Today was the last day of the sale and the children of the deceased were anxious to clear everything out.  Today's weather was decent and I think most people were home doing yardwork.  There weren't many people there and so they were willing to bargain.  The seasonal stuff was $1 a bag.  Then there was a big table in the dining room which was full of glass ware and such.  That table was also $1 a bag.  In the living room were bins of yarn marked $1 a skein.  I found several cones of chenille.  I had never seen chenille on a cone.  The daughter told me that her mom used to have a knitting machine and purchased by the cone for the machine.  I picked out 4 cones.  There was a box marked "purse projects" which had some zippers and partially completed purses from upholstery fabric.  The clincher for me was a wall hanging panel in the box.  The box was marked $2.  The panel alone was worth more than that.  I also found some baggies of trims and such which will be wonderful for CQ  I ended up with 2 bags and the box and the daughter told me $5 for all of it.  Before I left the LR, she started pulling other panels out of a bin.  Each was marked $1 but she said that they "filled" my bags and put them in.

When I got to the kitchen, I found some fabric which called to me.  I was impressed that they had taken the time to measure each piece and label it with the yardage and price.  Each cotton piece was $2/yard.  There was also corduroy, fleece, flannel, sweatshirt fleece and a whole table of double knits.  The double knits were $1 a bag.  On a shelf I found two (2) boxes of zippers.  I asked the daughter how much for zippers because there was no price.  She grabbed a bag and said "let's see how many fit in a bag."  She dumped both boxes into the bag and said "$1."  When I got home I counted 176 zippers plus a spool of cut your own length zipper and a bag of zipper pulls with 24 pulls in it.  I figure I got 200 zippers for that buck.

All told I spent $23 for the box of purses in progress, four (4) bags of treasures and four (4) pieces of fabric totalling eight (8) yards.  I can't wait to see what fun I can have with the chenille.  I am working on a CQ which is all greens.  One cone of chenille is a cream color and will look wonderful couched on some of the dark greens in the blocks.  There is also a varigated cream and tan. I envision this working nicely on these blocks as well.  I also hope to crochet a flower to add to one of the blocks.  I don't think I want to try to do anything else with the chenille but may venture to do something similar to ribbon work with it if I can find an appropriate needle.

On the way home, Mom wanted to stop for lunch.  We did and ran into a friend of hers who joined us.  Such a good time.

I have been sewing some.  I am currently working on a baby quilt made from a panel.  I have it sandwiched and am hand quilting it.  Just doing a simple outline around the animals.  I took it to the hospital Wednesday when we met with three (3) different doctors.  I was a good time to stitch and I got a lot done.  The tech in one of the doctor's office remarked that his wife was expecting their first son and that the colors were perfect for the nursery.  When he left, Tim asked why I didn't give him my business card.  I had to admit that I didn't have any with me because I had changed purses for Easter and didn't think I needed them for church.  Moral of the story, I should never go anywhere without business cards.  LOL!!

I am trying to plan for the summer season of shows and get stuff ready.  My approach to the market will be different this year.  I plan to limit the amount of product I take each week and only have a quilt at the market three (3) weeks.  I hope that this will give an impression of fast moving product and encourage people who shop weekly to purchase when they see shomething they like rather than hesitate.  After that, I hope to be better at posting on Etsy.  If I post on Etsy and someone comes to the market on the fourth week, I can always refer them to my shop on Etsy.

I also want to do better with a "new" item each week.  I will have the limited amount of quilts each week but want to juggle things so that there is a reason to visit weekly to see what is new.  I have several small quilted kitchen type items which I hope to alternate to spice things up.  I will be doing the market without Kyle this year and that means I have to be practical about the amount of product I want to lug each week in and out of the car.  I have a dear friend who helped me set up almost every week last year but she will be having surgery and most likely not available.  I can do this alone, I just need to be realistic about it.

Also by working ahead and limiting what I take each week, I should eliminate the stress of replacing what I sell each week.  If I already have overstock, I won't need to panic when I have a good day of sales.  I remember the week I sold three quilts in one day and felt I needed to make three more that week.  Obviously that didn't happen.  I did finish two UFOs which was good but still felt my inventory was light the following week.

My nephew is getting married in July and I have a quilt started for them which I need to finish piecing and get it quilted.  It is red, black and white.  I love all the fabrics and enjoyed the pattern but now feel there is not enough contrast.  It is made of strip sets and since almost all the fabrics have all three colors, they kind of blended together more than I wanted.  The columns are all pieced and now I just need to join them into the top and add the borders.  Because the pattern is for a full size and I wanted a king size, I have added additional borders which will be fun but it will be worth it. 

Bad news is that he is getting married on a weekend when I had the opportunity to do three different shows.  Two of them were multi-day events.  One of the multi-day events was so reasonable that I am sad to miss the opportunity.  I have whined to my mom about missing it and she toyed with options on how I could do that and get her to the wedding out of town on Saturday.  We finally concluded that I need to suck it up and shut up about missing this chance and if it happens again next year, I will go for it then.  This nephew and I were so close when he was young and I am his only aunt.  His mother is an only child and I am the only girl in my family with no sisters-in-law.  Add the fact that my mom is the only grandmother, and I can't miss this wedding.  I don't fit in with my family well but I must do what I must do.  As Kyle would say, end of story.

Kyle has not found a job yet but I am not sure how hard he is trying.  We see him a couple times a week and feed him dinner when he comes over to help with the grocery expense.  That way I know that he is getting a decent meal and it is good for Tim to have Kyle around for conversation.

Mom is doing well and now that weather is breaking some, she is trying to be more independent.  She has three appointments this coming week and I really need to be with her for all of them so I have encouraged her not to rush things.  One is eye doctor and she probably won't be able to drive after.  One is blood work and they don't like her to come alone.  The last is to discuss her health insurance and she doesn't understand that well enough to go alone.  She also has to go to the auto insurance company and she struggles with that as well.  Trying to work that in with one of the other days to avoid a fourth day with her in one week.  I enjoy my time with her but need a day off each week.  She also needs a day away from me so she will agree to combine multiple things into one of our days.

Guess that is about all of what is happening for me and it is getting late.  To bed I must go or I won't want to get up in the morning.  If I don't get up, I can't begin to use all my treasures from the estate sale.

Wishing all of you a wonderful Sunday.  Be well.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 4:34 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Darlene,  So good to hear from you.   Man what a great sale, sounds like you really racked up.   I'm so glad to hear that your mom is doing better and that she is brave enough to venture out and about.   I understand about not fitting in with family,  I hope your wedding weekend will be better than anticipated,  I'm sure that your nephew will appreciate your effort.    Sorry to hear that Kyle has not found a job yet and that Tim still has more treatments to go, but I am sure he is thankful to be back at work some.

Linny,  Sounds like you went to bead heaven for the day.   I am so glad that you and Barb got such a great opportunity.  Isn't amazing the difference a year can make?

Well, Friday my youngest decided she would go to prom with some of her friends.  I very excited for her.   She has a tenacity to skip events like prom and I think that after the fact she regrets it.    So today we will head out to see if we can find her a prom dress.   It's a slight challenge since she is as big around as a twig and as long as a twelve foot board.   But will go see what there is to be  had and go from there.   

Spent most of the day yesterday in the yard with leaves and trash.  Started laying bricks around the edge of the flower beds.   Looks really good but will take a few more weekends to finish. 

Hope you all have a rest filled Sunday.  

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Apr 7 2013 7:08 AM

Linny t:

I had a wonderful time at the bead show and came home with lots of treasures, lots of crystals, lots of beads, beads, beads.  I spent too much, but I got so much more than I'd have gotten online for the $, I don't feel bad about it.  You should have seen it.  tables and more tables with strands and hanks of every kind of bead you can imagine all laid out with the sun coming in big windows sparkling up the whole room.  It was like a fairy land.  I wanted one of everything.  It was like being in a candy shop except a whole lot less calories, lol.

What fun Linny. I'd love to go to a bead show. And I know I'd want to buy one of everything too.  lol

northern colorado

Page 12 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use