My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 12:53 PM

First Day of Football Sunday here. I've made a big batch of Nacho's and that will be the eating for today. Good to do those things early and have the day to wear them off. LOL

So now I'm debating on what to get into while DH watches football. Hmmm...

Oh, before I forget, I was looking for a link to Linny's mexican tucks and came across this site. It's calles Sew4Home and they have some really nice free projects and the tutorials are beautifully photographed. For those of you that like to make gifts, or just like eye candy,  I think there is something for everyone on there.   Here's the link:  http://www.sew4home.com/

Just click on the projects tab at the top and it has a breakdown. Enjoy!

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 1:12 PM

Here is a link to Mexican Tucks on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVvvQItQEY

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,186
Points 43,675
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 4:26 PM

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the links to how to make tucks.  I know how to make tucks.  I just don't know how Linny made the tucks and put them on the cream colored boarder.  Linny--did you make the tuck and iron it with the seam in the center the machine stitch it to the boarder?

Robin--I hope you got comp time for the extra time you put in this weekend at the school.  You should be able to have the weekend off though.

Stephanie--I'm glad you are enjoying the games.  I couldn't care less about football. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098

Diane:
I'm glad you are enjoying the games.  I couldn't care less about football. LOL

Oh no, I don't watch them. LOL. I just fix  Mike treats and set him up so he can watch them and I can sew. LOL. I don't feel guilty leaving him alone when his games are on. He's so into them he doesn't know I'm missing. LOL.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098

Lillie:

Here is a link to Mexican Tucks on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVvvQItQEY

Great video link Lillie. She makes it look so easy, doesn't she?

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:39 PM

Thanks, everyone for the compliments on my quilt.  I started hand quilting today.  It'll be nice and cozy to work on it over the winter months.  I'd forgotten just how meditative it is to hand quilt.   

As for Mexican tucks, they are regular tucks with a twist.  Regular tucks are pressed all in the same direction.  With Mexican tucks you alternate the pressing up and then down at regular intervals and tack them at the center of the "up" or "down.  Here's a pic of a block I made where the basket is Mexican tucks (it's the April block of Tisket-a-Tasket).  I used beads at the tack points.  In my quilt they are going to be much further apart and hopefully will look like waves.  I made them by sewing in strips of batik with muslin and then forming the tuck over it.  In the picture of my quilt all the tucks are pressed up so you see the batik "stripes".

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:51 PM

Diane, good to hear you were feeling well enough to go to church again.  I hope it was inspiring to you.  

Those little dragons sound so darn cute.  I can just imagine them hiding behind something so the big bad crickets don't get them, lol.  I'm sure they'll figure out what to do with them eventually.  Glad to hear they're eating the kale in the meanwhile.

What's the theme of your next RR?  Did you get your other block back yet from the other RR?  I'm waiting patiently for some more eye candy, lol.

The quilt is for me.  Thanks for the compliment.  It's the very first quilt I'm making for myself.  I'm calling it, "Remnants of Summer" because it started out with leftover batik strips I found at my LQS in the scrap bin about this time last summer and I'm finishing it at the end of summer this year.  It reminds me of swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.  It was going to be a totally different quilt, but my calender for August had a pic of a scrappy triangle quilt and I became inspired.    

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:53 PM

Robin, I hope you had a really nice service today.  I bet it was refreshing and I'm sure it will help ground you in your routine.  Hope you had a productive and crafty day, too.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:57 PM

Stephanie:

Diane:
I'm glad you are enjoying the games.  I couldn't care less about football. LOL

Oh no, I don't watch them. LOL. I just fix  Mike treats and set him up so he can watch them and I can sew. LOL. I don't feel guilty leaving him alone when his games are on. He's so into them he doesn't know I'm missing. LOL.

Thank God for football, eh Stephanie?  I'm with Diane.  I couldn't care less about football either.  Still, it gives you a good excuse to make yummy snacks and treats.  Did you get more done on your 2nd birdie while the game was on?  Now I have a question.  Do your fur babies hang out with you in your sewing room or with Mike and the game...or does it all depend on where the yummy snacks are, lol?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 7:00 PM

Lillie:
lol I want a tummy tuck too.
 Me, too, Jo.  I had a partial hysterectomy and my tummy has "lapped" ever since, lol.  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098

Linny t:
 Did you get more done on your 2nd birdie while the game was on?  

I have the tail on the last bird. Next lesson is the wings and chest. That'll go pretty quick I think. Small areas. The back will take longer. I think it'll be the trickiest. And then the head and done .

Linny t:
Do your fur babies hang out with you in your sewing room or with Mike and the game...or does it all depend on where the yummy snacks are, lol?

Usually three of the four pile in with me. I have to be careful when I wheel my chair back not to roll over any little paws. The little ones and Gabby are always close. Shelby the older rottie is Daddy's girl. How about you with Lillie and Lucky?  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,666
Points 141,098

Linny t:

Thanks, everyone for the compliments on my quilt.  I started hand quilting today.  It'll be nice and cozy to work on it over the winter months.  I'd forgotten just how meditative it is to hand quilt.   

As for Mexican tucks, they are regular tucks with a twist.  Regular tucks are pressed all in the same direction.  With Mexican tucks you alternate the pressing up and then down at regular intervals and tack them at the center of the "up" or "down.  Here's a pic of a block I made where the basket is Mexican tucks (it's the April block of Tisket-a-Tasket).  I used beads at the tack points.  In my quilt they are going to be much further apart and hopefully will look like waves.  I made them by sewing in strips of batik with muslin and then forming the tuck over it.  In the picture of my quilt all the tucks are pressed up so you see the batik "stripes".

First, this block is so beautiful. The details you add to everything you do are such an inspiration. And thank you for showing it so we can get the idea of the tucks.

So, if I watched the video link right, you have sewn the first stage of where it is folded over and sewn the length of the fabric. And then after you quilt it, you will do the up and down areas that make the wavy look. And when you do, the stripe look will become waves where you see a wave as the muslin folds up over the  batik? What a cool border this is going to be. Can't wait to see it. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,186
Points 43,675
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 7:55 PM

That's a beautiful block Linny.  I understand the Mexican tucks now.  Very nice.  I love how you decorated the eggs and the bow is out of sight!

Some of the dragons started eating the crickets today.  I expect there will be a feeding frenzy soon. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:12 PM

Stephanie:
Usually three of the four pile in with me. I have to be careful when I wheel my chair back not to roll over any little paws. The little ones and Gabby are always close. Shelby the older rottie is Daddy's girl. How about you with Lillie and Lucky?  
 They follow me everywhere I go and when they can't they whine about it.  I love their faithfulness.  Such good friends.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,532
Points 116,645
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:21 PM

Stephanie:
So, if I watched the video link right, you have sewn the first stage of where it is folded over and sewn the length of the fabric. And then after you quilt it, you will do the up and down areas that make the wavy look. And when you do, the stripe look will become waves where you see a wave as the muslin folds up over the  batik? What a cool border this is going to be. Can't wait to see it. 
 That's exactly right.

Thanks for the compliments.  I loved making those blocks.  They were all so sweet and whimsical.

Linny T

Page 118 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev116117118119120Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use