My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,546
Points 139,293
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:31 AM

It's been fun to remember back to the days with the houses filled with music and song. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Diane,

Oh my gosh! How exciting for you that the time has gone by and so many eggs getting so close to htching. I'm excited to be an auntie too. What do the babies eat? I had a dwarf bunny when Paul was young. He was small and precious. And so soft. Not a whole lot bigger than Rosie. It's so cute to watch them eat carrots and hop around.

Linny,

It must have been so fun to have Barb teach you about art. To have that common interest between the two of you. Pretty incredible that you had that musical ear to play without learning the notes too. It's never too late to learn the piano. Does Nate ever show any interest in playing it?   

I can't believe I'm up! I made the mistake of falling asleep at 6pm. I took the dogs out and noticed it's a full moon. Go figure. LOL. I have to be on a job today, It'll be interesting to see if I fizzle out by noon.

Have a great day girlfriends. Hope it's full of some fun surprises.....    

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 5:59 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I can see that around here if you miss a little you miss a lot.

Today is pre test day in my classroom at school.  I don't know if I put alot of value in them, but they are required so I'll do them.  The good thing is I let the kids keep them for a study guide for their semester exam and that gives them some value.

Stephanie and Linny,

The answers to your questions are:  I have to grocery shop on my own time with my own money.  The time is reimbursed in comp time, which I can only use when I don't have students and the money is reimbursed from a grant it generally takes about a week to two weeks from the time I turn in my receipts.  As far as the work schedule I get a planning period for an hour and a half on Tuesday and Thursday and 45 minutes on Friday.    In that time I'm suppose to handle any work that is required to run my 7 classes, which is the same amount of time that a teacher with one 1 type of class gets.   The joy of being the only one of something at a county wide high school.   I could quit offering the Early Childhood course which would eliminate four of my preps but that would mean that I wasn't giving students who are interested in being a teacher a chance to learn any skills in high school, and that seems a little counter productive.

Linny,

How cool that Barb nurtured all of that artistic talent in you at such a young age.  I had piano lessons when I was a kid but I wasn't coordinated enough to make both hands worn at the same time and move.  So when I finally got to the part where I was beginning  to play real music I sucked!   So I quit.  Now I wished I had stuck to it.  But Stephanie is right you can still learn.  Our former principal learned about ten or so years ago.  

Diane,

Are you nervous?  I would be.  I don't think I could sleep at night being afraid I would miss something.  Make sure you have your camera ready and near by we want a news story of the event.

Lillie,

Our principal is a prince and a pal.   He meant it as a joke but he lacks joke telling ability.   Actually when we got together someone who walked in a little late announce that we only had 178 days to go and people laughed.   I guess you develop the humor of a teenager when you are around them all day. 

Jo,

Your picture of Rosie and George is priceless.   They look very comfortable together.

Yesterday our fur baby Molly (a yorkie) could not find her chew bone, which happens to be her comfort item.   I'd notice her without the weekend but I thought it was because her Mama was gone and she wasn't at peace.   Anyway someone asked her about yesterday evening and the hunt was on.  The dog was doing nuts because she couldn't find it.   So after a through search for the bone, I realized nothing would do but go get her another one.   Donn was like "where are you going?" when I told him, he tried to talk me out of it since it was getting late and I had supper to cook.  But when he saw I wasn't budging he offered to go instead ( I think he thought I was invading his territory since he has always bought her bone)  Anyway bless his heart a summer thunderstorm came up while he was out and he got soaked.  I was a little afraid it would sour his mood but it didn't.   Molly took to the new bone instantly, which made Papa happy.   However, my daughter thought it was odd because it always takes a few hours for her to pick up a new toy.  Finally Donn show her the package the bone was bacon flavored.  To which my husband replied "And that's how it's done!" (True Si Roberson Style).    That man cracks me up!

I'm very excited because Donn and I are going to Atlanta in September and I'm going to get to go to the Georgia Quilt Show.  He wants to go up and see the painting "A Girl with a Pearl Earring" and so we are timing it for the same weekend as the show.    I have decided not to register for any of the classes because most of the ones I wanted were taken.  But there is still the quilt show, mini workshops, speakers, vendors and etc.   I've never gone to this kind of show and I'll be going alone since Donn will be at the art museum so I would greatly appreciate any advice to make sure I get the most of the experience.  I've wanted to do this for a long time it is apart of the sewing expo.

http://sewingexpo.com/GeorgiaQuiltShow.aspx    This is the link for the show.

Oops I'm going to be late gotta go.

Robin

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 11:14 AM

Stephanie:

Linny,

It must have been so fun to have Barb teach you about art. To have that common interest between the two of you. Pretty incredible that you had that musical ear to play without learning the notes too. It's never too late to learn the piano. Does Nate ever show any interest in playing it? 

He does show interest, but he's far more interested in building things.  He has Leggos and every night he makes a new space ship.  He can tell you where the gas goes, how they fly and what they are designed for.  Usually their function is to rescue people from disasters.  Sometimes they are gun ships to fight off the bad guys and sometimes they are medical ships to rescue the survivors.  It's interesting the amount of thought he puts into these things.  With the piano it's more of an, "I'm bored so I'll make noise." thing.

Stephanie:
I can't believe I'm up! I made the mistake of falling asleep at 6pm. I took the dogs out and noticed it's a full moon. Go figure. LOL. I have to be on a job today, It'll be interesting to see if I fizzle out by noon.
 Mercy, up at 2:31 AM?  I hope you make it all day.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 11:19 AM

Robin:
I could quit offering the Early Childhood course which would eliminate four of my preps but that would mean that I wasn't giving students who are interested in being a teacher a chance to learn any skills in high school, and that seems a little counter productive.
 I think this is awesome of you, Robin.  

Robin:
I'm very excited because Donn and I are going to Atlanta in September and I'm going to get to go to the Georgia Quilt Show.  He wants to go up and see the painting "A Girl with a Pearl Earring" and so we are timing it for the same weekend as the show.    I have decided not to register for any of the classes because most of the ones I wanted were taken.  But there is still the quilt show, mini workshops, speakers, vendors and etc.   I've never gone to this kind of show and I'll be going alone since Donn will be at the art museum so I would greatly appreciate any advice to make sure I get the most of the experience.  I've wanted to do this for a long time it is apart of the sewing expo.

Oh, you lucky girl.  Too bad you both can't do both things.  It'll be nice to have your favorite travel companion, though.  Sounds like a nice getaway.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 2:10 PM

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all the interest in Nelly's eggs!  Yesterday I looked through them with a pen light in the dark.  They are growing and in one I even saw a tail!  I don't see any more sighs of hatching though.  I hope it's not too far away.

Linny--so nice that you had some musical talent.  Fun that Barbara shared her artistic with you.  I remember I taught my sister to sew a dress in 3 days.  She picked up fast!  She even made her wedding dress which was dark green velvet with white lace.  It was a christmas wedding.

Robin--so nice that you go on trips that you do.  Such fun!  Nice that Donn got your baby a bacon flavored comfort treat.  Bacon seems to be the magic word in many situations.  I used to get my daughter to clean up with the promise of making her bacon. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 6:35 PM

Diane:
Linny--so nice that you had some musical talent.  Fun that Barbara shared her artistic with you.  I remember I taught my sister to sew a dress in 3 days.  She picked up fast!  She even made her wedding dress which was dark green velvet with white lace.  It was a christmas wedding.

Diane, you gave her something that really grew in her, didn't you.  Does she still sew?  I bet that gown was beautiful.

Diane:
They are growing and in one I even saw a tail!
 Oh, man, how exciting is that?  I can hardly wait to see what they look like.  It won't be long now, will it?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:34 PM

My sister died in 2009 after a 10 battle with breast cancer.  She did some quilting and sewing like curtains.  She was really interested in cross stitching samplers.  She made many and I have one which is about 30 years old.  It's in my living room now.  We got our interest in sewing from my grandmother who taught me to sew at age 13.

My grandmother learned to sew when she was about 13 when she worked for a seamstress. It really opens up a new world to sew.  Creating is so satisfying.  I have the sampler that she made for my Mom and a small quilt which is a wall hanging with four houses on it.  I'll take a pic and share it.  She did such tiny quilting stitches. 

I am waiting patiently for the eggs to hatch.  I check them at least 2 times a day. LOL

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 5:35 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope you are off to a productive start to your day.  

Yesterday I hit the wall but this morning everything seems right as rain. What I mean is...

The getting back on schedule thing has been a little tough this year.  And yesterday afternoon I literally came home and just collapsed in my chair.  I was so tired I didn't even care if I had supper.  I hadn't been sleeping to good lately on account of my shoulders aching from laying on them to long.  Anyway I added a little Tylenol to the bed time routine last night and slept soundly.  No waking up at 2:00 am hurting.   So I'm up and ready to go.

Culinary 2 goes into the lab today to deep clean the last two kitchens.  I had planned to do it but just didn't get around to it.   It's really poetic justice as one of these two kitchens is in a terrible mess at the end of the year and the one's responsible are in this class.  Today they will clean and STRAIGHTEN up the mess they left.

I hope you all have a super Thursday and remember only one more day in this work week.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 6:29 AM

My mother never had much interest in hand work of any kind. She was a great seamstress and tried to teach me, but I did not have any interest in sewing clothes, curtains, or any home decor. My mother learned from her aunt, who was a professional seamstress in NYC. My mother could look at an off-the-shelf dress, turn it inside out to see how it was sewn. We'd go buy fabric and she'd make a pattern out of newspaper, then sew up a dress for me to wear the next day at school. As a teenager I was always a little amazed at her skills. But now when I think about all the things she did, she totally ROCKED!!  lol

Singing the Jeopardy song, waiting for the dragons to come out and play. lol

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:30 AM

Diane:

My sister died in 2009 after a 10 battle with breast cancer.  She did some quilting and sewing like curtains.  She was really interested in cross stitching samplers.  She made many and I have one which is about 30 years old.  It's in my living room now.  We got our interest in sewing from my grandmother who taught me to sew at age 13.

My grandmother learned to sew when she was about 13 when she worked for a seamstress. It really opens up a new world to sew.  Creating is so satisfying.  I have the sampler that she made for my Mom and a small quilt which is a wall hanging with four houses on it.  I'll take a pic and share it.  She did such tiny quilting stitches. 

I am waiting patiently for the eggs to hatch.  I check them at least 2 times a day. LOL

I'm so sorry, Diane.  I remember you told us about this sister before when I first started telling about Barb's plight.  I do remember about the fight with breast cancer.  Such a treasure that cross stitch of hers must be for you.

You know there's such an intimate relationship between a student and a teacher no matter what the subject or circumstances.  Such a bond is formed.  We carry bonds like these for a lifetime and pass them on to others along the way.  It's such a remarkable thing, really.  I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your grandmother's pieces.   Creating really is satisfying and it will become our legacy, I'm sure.  Just like it is for your Grandmother...a kind of immortality.  

I have to tell you, if I had those eggs I'd have to restrain myself from checking them every 10 min, lol.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:34 AM

Robin:
The getting back on schedule thing has been a little tough this year.  And yesterday afternoon I literally came home and just collapsed in my chair.  I was so tired I didn't even care if I had supper.  I hadn't been sleeping to good lately on account of my shoulders aching from laying on them to long.  Anyway I added a little Tylenol to the bed time routine last night and slept soundly.  No waking up at 2:00 am hurting.   So I'm up and ready to go.
 I'm glad you solved your achy shoulder problem, Robin.  
Robin:
Culinary 2 goes into the lab today to deep clean the last two kitchens.  I had planned to do it but just didn't get around to it.   It's really poetic justice as one of these two kitchens is in a terrible mess at the end of the year and the one's responsible are in this class.  Today they will clean and STRAIGHTEN up the mess they left.
 What goes around, comes around.  How fitting.

I hope you are pacing yourself today.  You've had such a rush of activity since the first day and so many new faces to learn.  Like you say, only one more work day this week.  Have a great day before TGIF!  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:41 AM

Lillie:
As a teenager I was always a little amazed at her skills. But now when I think about all the things she did, she totally ROCKED!!
 I feel this way about my Mom, too.  How cool that your Mom had these garment designer skills.  I bet you got a lot of compliments on your wardrobe, too.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,017
Points 65,040
Robin replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 4:29 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Friday!

Got up a little early needed to finish a quiz for today.   I was just to beat to do it yesterday.   I am really struggling with this going back to work thing.   Hopefully another week or two and I'll be back in the groove.  

Lillie, The story about your mom is so cool.  My mom sew for me when I was little.  Jumpers and such but nothing real fancy. But she did teach how to sew.  Some of the lessons were a little trying since her patience wasn't always in the mood but overall it was some good times.  I won several blue ribbons in 4H with my sewing.

Diane,  It won't be long.   Hang in there!

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Friday Everyone!

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,172
Points 111,340
Linny t replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:57 AM

Robin:
Got up a little early needed to finish a quiz for today.   I was just to beat to do it yesterday.   I am really struggling with this going back to work thing.   Hopefully another week or two and I'll be back in the groove
 TGIF, Robin.  Hope you can get some extra rest this weekend and come Monday, you're able to get back in the groove.  I just love that little pic.  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,546
Points 139,293
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 23 2013 6:51 PM

Hi everyone. TGIF from here too.

I've had some storm related internet problems the last couple days, and I'm sorry about missing your posts. Hope you're all enjoying your Friday night and looking forward to the weekend. I know I am....

• Post Points: 50
Page 107 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev105106107108109Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use