rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:10 AM

Linny t:
I have done a lot of short and long stitch.  Most recently with my fairy on my once block.  The entire leaves and the fairies' arms and leggs are long and short.   The froggie, too.  It's really meditative.  It's thread painting and I love the colors.

I almost forgot about your beautiful fairy. That was a ton of work. One day you need to finish her so you can hang it in your room with your quilt. I bet all the colors would look perfect together. I have to admire the way you work with threads. It's not an easy thing to do. I've worked with some in machine embroidery that looked perfect side by side and yet one would cast off completely different when stitched.

Linny t:
I found a magnifying visor that I like.  You put it on like a hat.  It has changeable lenses of various strengths and they flip up and down.  I tried with the one's that are on a stand, but I don't like having something that large between me and my work.

That visor sounds like a great idea. I'm having some back issues after the posture of being hunched over the light. Sould have gotten up and walked around more. You know how obsessive it can be though once you get locked into doing something. LOL I'll have to look for one of those.

Linny t:
 Maybe I'll stop and get her a smoothie.  I know she's sick when she doesn't want to go shopping.  I'm already missing my shopping buddy and it's just the first week.

It'll be such a nice gesture to do that. Sometimes the "little" things we do mean so much.

Linny t:
I actually finished piecing my top.  I sewed all day and finished at exactly 9:30 PM.  I have to square it up still.  Maybe later today I'll post a pic.

Way to go!!! I can't wait to see a pic! I saw where Nana had posted working with the bamboo on machine, not hand and she loved it. It has a really nice drape. I think she washes all her quilts, you'll have to ask her. I know wool would drape well too. I don't think it would be too hot, it's very thin. Though, I was not real happy with the one I bought though because it has loftier in some areas than others. I was worried that it might look lumpy. I guess some people double it, but that gets expensive. Now you're making me want to quilt. LOL 

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:02 PM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
we discontinued Sunday NFL Ticket when the price moved above $125.

Every year I swear we're not renewing and I call to cancel and they lower the price. LOL. It's been ongoing like that for years. I just got to thinking that if I cancelled, he might not watch games all day, and I wouldn't be able to sew all day. Hmmm. LOL.

I just thought of how selfish this sounds, and thought I should add that we work together all day, so it's not like when we both had separate jobs and needed to spend weekends together to "catch up." 

Linny, there is that trade-off of not being able to sew while he watches NFL. Unfortunately, I was the one sitting in front of the TV all day and DH was doing other things. lol  That was before I started doing hand work. Maybe now it would not be such a bad idea. lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:05 PM

I used to have some magnifying glasses that I used when I went fly fishing so I could tie those teeny weeny flies on my line. lol  I also have a stand up magnifying glass that I used for tying flies back in the day. I still have all that fly tying stuff, but don't tie flies any longer. 

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:43 PM

Lillie, you could use the fly tying silk thread for embroidery.  I've done this before.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:28 PM

Now this goes to show you about storms, I say.  I wrote a long post and right after I hit reply the internet cut out.  I didn't know it wasn't posting until now and I posted it..or tried to..right after the one to Lillie.  We had a terrific storm today.  My power went out and everything.  It lasted a long time, too.  Poor Lucky was following me around panting and trying to climb in my skin.  She's afraid of thunder, poor thing.  And darn it all, I didn't get to mow, lol.  I'll do it during the week if we ever get another dry day. 

Stephanie:
I almost forgot about your beautiful fairy. That was a ton of work. One day you need to finish her so you can hang it in your room with your quilt. I bet all the colors would look perfect together.
 My fairy is hanging on my makeshift design wall, still in it's embroidery hoop.  I lok at it and thing of finishing it.  It would match perfectly with the colors in the quilt.

Ah, the quilt.  I didn't take a pic because the storm made my room too dark.  I'll try after work the next time it's not raining.  I did take it to Barb's when I went to visit today.  She loved it and noticed the "sail boats" right off...we think alike.  She is okay.  Her color was good and she didn't look strange or sick.  Just weak.  Her little legs are so thin it's scary.  She is a little wobbly and off balance and she's slow and deliberate about things.  I didn't take her a smoothie but took her out to get one.  She wanted to get out to see how she'd handle moving cars and orientation.  She said she did fine and was going to drive herself to the treatment tomorrow.  She has numb spots on her skin all over and doesn't feel cold in her tummy, like after eating ice cream or smoothies.  Strange, right?  It must be a side affect of the radiation.  We visited for 3 hours and then some more going for the smoothies.  I felt better after spending some time with her.  I wish she didn't have to go through this.  I stopped by Michael's on the way to her house and found a little rubber stamp I knew she'd like.  It was nothing, really.  When I gave it to her you'd have thought I'd given her a piece of gold or something.  It was cute...like a kid.  She's been working with clay on and off and has made some beautiful pieces.  She can't concentrate for long, so she does little bits at a time.

Well, tomorrow's Monday, Monday....or as Robin would put it...My Day, My Day.  I'd better get my things ready for tomorrow.  I hope you all had a wonderful Sunday.  Anyone got any special plans for Labor Day weekend yet?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 7:10 AM

Linny t:

Lillie, you could use the fly tying silk thread for embroidery.  I've done this before.

Oh how interesting. If I had thought of that I could have added it to Diane's under the sea block. What a clever idea.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 19 2013 12:05 PM

The kind I used was Pearsall's that I ordered from their website when the exchange rate was much better than it is now.  These days it's available in the states and the internet searching has improved to be able to find it.  I love their silks.  Rose Rushbrooke sells it, too.  She also carries Jean Lyle needles which I love.  I like to order from her because she's local to me and also I don't have to pay sales tax.  She was doing quilts in fractal patterns.  These days she's making jewelry.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,982
Points 64,165
Robin replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 6:06 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope your week is off to a good start.  

1 day down and 179 to go the principal said yesterday at the faculty meeting.  I personally think it is way to early to start counting even in your head.   My classes were good yesterday.  A little talkative but good.   The last class was chatty beavers but it because I've had them all before and they all knew each other and wanted to catch up from the summer.   I'm sure they'll settle down a bit as we get into actual work.

Today is an even day at our school which means I only see my even numbered classes, this year this is the days I'll have a planning period so I'll probably prefer them to odd days where lunch is my only break from kids.

Linny,  I'm glad to hear that Barb was not in as bad of shape as you thought.    I know that radiation is suppose to be a very difficult treatment.  One guy in our area had to have it done on his mouth and they had to strap his head down with a metal mask in order to make sure he didn't move.    He found that drinking a lot of carrot juice helped him.    I can't wait to see your quilt.

Stephanie and Lillie,   I guess you can always look at the football games as quality me time.  

Darlene,   I hope things are going well for you and that you are just incredibly busy with all of your sales and making.

Hope and pray that everyone has a lovely Tuesday.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:51 AM

Linny t:
Poor Lucky was following me around panting and trying to climb in my skin.  She's afraid of thunder, poor thing.  And darn it all, I didn't get to mow, lol.  I'll do it during the week if we ever get another dry day. 

Poor Lucky. My little Bella's like that too. We had a storm like that last night. Some of them scare me too.

Linny t:
My fairy is hanging on my makeshift design wall, still in it's embroidery hoop.  I lok at it and thing of finishing it.  It would match perfectly with the colors in the quilt.
'

It's nice that you have it hanging where you can see it. One day you'll finish it too. I'm looking so forward to seeing a pic of your quilt top. Darn weather anyway!

Linny t:
We visited for 3 hours and then some more going for the smoothies.  I felt better after spending some time with her.  I wish she didn't have to go through this.

It sounds like your visit put your mind at ease a little. I wish she and no one had to go thru this. You are so sweet to take her a stamp, especially since she couldn't get out for your weekend shops. When you said she is working with clay, what kind of projects does she make?

Too bad about not being able to mow. LOL. Mike got out and mowed ours and some of it could have been bailed into hay it was so tall. He hadn't been able to mow because of the standing water. It had pretty much gone down until the storm last night.

Linny t:
Anyone got any special plans for Labor Day weekend yet?

Not yet. As busy as we've been not sure it will be a long weekend, but we'll manage to do something. Mike's got a movie he wants to see and we have a wonderful theatre here that has big comfortable seats. A date night would do us good.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 8:57 AM

Robin:

Today is an even day at our school which means I only see my even numbered classes, this year this is the days I'll have a planning period so I'll probably prefer them to odd days where lunch is my only break from kids.

I can only imagine the catch up chattiness of the kids. I remember back in grade school where we used to get up and talk about our summer vacations. LOL. So with this schedule, does that make for three odd days with the planning period? Does that work out for you with all the labs and things you have to plan? Are you able to shop for supplies on school time or your own? Do they have any overtime pay set up for the extra hours you put in? Gas reimbursement?  

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:06 AM

I've been plugging away at my little embroidery. Stealing time whereever I can. Not easy these days, as business overflows into home time. Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

I have the branch, leaves and flowers finished and it's time to move onto the little blue birds. 

Lillie,

That was interesting to read that you tied your own flies. I had an aunt that made her own shiners. She had it going on for fishing. Everyone else could go home without and she always caught fish. She's become a family legend that way, and how she learned to play songs on the piano without ever learning to read a note of music or have any lessons on the piano itself.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,485
Points 138,273
Stephanie replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:41 AM

I've been plugging away at my little embroidery. Stealing time whereever I can. Not easy these days, as business overflows into home time. Gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

I have the branch, leaves and flowers finished and it's time to move onto the little blue birds. 

Lillie,

That was interesting to read that you tied your own flies. I had an aunt that made her own shiners. She had it going on for fishing. Everyone else could go home without and she always caught fish. She's become a family legend that way, and how she learned to play songs on the piano without ever learning to read a note of music or have any lessons on the piano itself.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:28 AM

Robin:
1 day down and 179 to go the principal said yesterday at the faculty meeting.  I personally think it is way to early to start counting even in your head.   My classes were good yesterday.  A little talkative but good.   The last class was chatty beavers but it because I've had them all before and they all knew each other and wanted to catch up from the summer.   I'm sure they'll settle down a bit as we get into actual work.
 Kids will be kids.  Most of them at high school level are happy to go back to school for the social interaction...darn that school work, lol

Robin:
 I hope you have a happy and productive even day.
Robin:
One guy in our area had to have it done on his mouth and they had to strap his head down with a metal mask in order to make sure he didn't move.    He found that drinking a lot of carrot juice helped him.    I can't wait to see your quilt.

Robin:
One guy in our area had to have it done on his mouth and they had to strap his head down with a metal mask in order to make sure he didn't move.    He found that drinking a lot of carrot juice helped him.    I can't wait to see your quilt.

Barb has a mask and has to be tied down, too.  She hates it because it hurts to lay down with the thing on and you can't move.  I'll tell you what your friend said about the carrot juice.

I'll post the top the next time it's light enough in my bedroom and I'm home, lol.  It's been terrible storms every afternoon for the past few days.  I call it our afternoon monsoons.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:33 AM

Stephanie:
When you said she is working with clay, what kind of projects does she make?
 She's making medallions, mostly.  She likes to try new stamps and finishes and mixtures.  Also, trying the different products.  She calls her work "experimenting". 

Stephanie:
Mike's got a movie he wants to see and we have a wonderful theatre here that has big comfortable seats. A date night would do us good.  
 This sounds like something fun.  Never pass up the opportunity to have a date night.  Which movie is it?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,105
Points 110,270
Linny t replied on Tue, Aug 20 2013 11:35 AM

Stephanie:

You've gotten a lot done for just a couple of days working on it and being new at it, to boot.  People think that miniatures are easier and take less time, but that's not always the case.  Taking those micro stitches under a magnifier takes way more time than just regular stitching.  I can't wait to see a pic.  Sweet little blue birds...

Linny T

Page 105 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev103104105106107Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use