My Day 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,136 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 1:35 PM

Stephanie:

I have long thought of buying one of those vintage style purse frames and making my own purse. Just wasn't sure how to go about fashioning the pattern for the frame. Not sure if it interests anyone else, but while looking for patterns I came across this site that breaks down patterning very simply. I'm sure it could be applied to other frames as well.....     http://www.bustledress.com/cgi-bin/z.pl/reset/article.madame.20090611-01.html  

Thanks for the link Stephanie. Good to have the pattern. We can always send out a square block with the pattern lines drawn on it so no one embellishes outside the pattern. Then the owner can cut it to what ever size they want it to be.

Personally, I'm not so sure I want a vintage purse, but I think I would like to have my piece hanging from one of those small quilt frames that sit on top of a table.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,465
Points 137,978

Lillie:
I think I would like to have my piece hanging from one of those small quilt frames that sit on top of a table.

Are you thinking of doing a wall hanging instead of a purse?

Lillie:
We can always send out a square block with the pattern lines drawn on it so no one embellishes outside the pattern.

That'll work well.

The site has been crazy all day. Seems better now.  I got distracted from my pattern search when my new phone got delivered. I can't believe how much better reception and user friendly it is. 

Diane, are you lurking out there? Seems like forever since we've heard from you.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:08 PM

Stephanie:

I have long thought of buying one of those vintage style purse frames and making my own purse. Just wasn't sure how to go about fashioning the pattern for the frame. Not sure if it interests anyone else, but while looking for patterns I came across this site that breaks down patterning very simply. I'm sure it could be applied to other frames as well.....     http://www.bustledress.com/cgi-bin/z.pl/reset/article.madame.20090611-01.html  

I have been unable to get on this site all day.  Thanks for this link.  What a cool site.  

Speaking of purse frames, I did a little looking and the vintage originals are too expensive for my blood.  I found lots that are really affordable, though, in a simple google search.  Tons, in fact.  It would be hard to choose only one.  I also saw lots of beaded and cloth purses made on these frames.  It looks to me like the frame has a lot to do with the pattern, especially on the top.  I'm talking the shape of the frame and if it's V shapes or square or rounded, etc.  The example on the Bustle Dress site looked pretty easy to me.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:03 PM

Lillie:
Personally, I'm not so sure I want a vintage purse, but I think I would like to have my piece hanging from one of those small quilt frames that sit on top of a table.

That'd be nice.  I like the idea of a vintage purse, but like you say, we could just trace the pattern on the block.  I have had the vintage purses in my mind for a long time now, but it may be more of a challenge than some want or need right now.  

Whatever we decide to make we should probably pick a theme.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 6:12 PM

Robin:

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope and pray that your day is off to a better than average start. 

Just another day in the neighborhood around here.   Work, home, bed is the plan.

Robin

Sometimes when things just go as per plan it's a relief.  Still, I hope you had a better than average day.  Any good news with the test results yet?  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:45 AM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
I think I would like to have my piece hanging from one of those small quilt frames that sit on top of a table.

Are you thinking of doing a wall hanging instead of a purse?

Lillie:
We can always send out a square block with the pattern lines drawn on it so no one embellishes outside the pattern.

That'll work well.

The site has been crazy all day. Seems better now.  I got distracted from my pattern search when my new phone got delivered. I can't believe how much better reception and user friendly it is. 

Diane, are you lurking out there? Seems like forever since we've heard from you.

Yes I was thinking more of a wall hanging for me. But I would like it to be a shape, something with curves, etc. Not just a square or rectangle, and only straight lines across the top where it hangs from the frame. The rest would be curvy. Does that make sense?

Since we've changed the thread I have not had any issues with the site. It's been heavenly.

I have not heard from Diane or Darlene in a while. Are you gals doing OK? Please chime in when you can.   ((( Hugs)))

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 8:54 AM

Linny t:

Whatever we decide to make we should probably pick a theme.  

Here are some theme ideas for our vintage piece.

1. All gold (all embellishments are gold; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

2. Cream/white (all embellishments are cream or white; buttons, lace, thread, etc)

3. French inspired

4. Victorian 

5. Only flowers (no buttons-just silks and thread)

6. Asian inspired

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:22 AM

Lillie, I like all of these and am going to be flexible.  When you say French, are you thinking like Country French or Eiffel Tower/Tourist French, or something else?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 1:33 PM

Linny t:

Lillie, I like all of these and am going to be flexible.  When you say French, are you thinking like Country French or Eiffel Tower/Tourist French, or something else?

Oh, I had not even thought about Country French. That would be nice as well. If we did Country French, should we be limited to yellow, blue, and white? I'm OK with with whatever we decide. 

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 4:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the support.   I'm working hard to pull up out of my slump.   The last two days I came home and work in the yard until dusk and that seem to help my overall attitude.  Not today because of the rain.   I also had a pouring out of my heart last night to the master of everything and it at least seem to lift my spirit for now.  I realize that part of the problem in facing the fact that Keeley is fixing to leave the nest in the next six months and Laurie won't be far behind.   All of which is great I wouldn't want it any other way but Keeley's goals have her going far away from home and of course like all mothers I worry. She wants to live in a big city like New York or LA and were I don't expect her to stay in Madison,  I'm just concern about her making the transfer to such a big environment on her own.    Of course by the time she finishes college all of those plans might have changed.    I'm truly just letting old worry wart get the best of me on that note.     As for Laurie no news until May 2nd.   We meet with the endocrinologist on that day.   It was the earliest appointment we could get and we have to go all the way to Gainesville instead of Tallahassee.     I can tell at times it's getting to her but I try not to bring it up to much as she is as much a worry wart as her mother.  

It sounds like you all have great plans for these purses.   I'm not sure I'm capable of some of the challenges you guys are leaning towards.  

Stephanie,

I've seen some of those vintage clasp for purses at Joann's and also at the Fabric Art Store in Lake City.  

Linny,

I think flexibility is a must when you have other people working on your stuff.   I mean so many times people see things in such different lights based on their experiences.

Lillie,

You have taken to this purse idea like a fish to water.  Your creative juices seem to be really flowing.    I really like some of the ideas that you have presented.

Darlene, Diane and Jo,

I hope you are all doing ok and that your family members, human, furry and scaled and otherwise.

Have a good evening.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 4:58 PM

I think we should not limit ourselves as much as possible, lol.  It's more fun that way.  Which one on your list is your favorite?  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:03 PM

This post was for Lillie.  When I typed it there wasn't Robin's post so I thought it'd be right above Lillie's.  That's what I get for thinking.

Linny t:

I think we should not limit ourselves as much as possible, lol.  It's more fun that way.  Which one on your list is your favorite?  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:32 PM

Robin:

Linny,

I think flexibility is a must when you have other people working on your stuff.   I mean so many times people see things in such different lights based on their experiences.

Robin, I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.  I hope you change your mind about the RR.  You don't have to make anything elaborate.  It's all the way in June before we start it anyways.  From the sounds of things everyone is going to pick their own challenge.

I understand your concerns about your daughter moving away to a big city.  When my daughter moved to NY, she started out in Albany...not a great big city, but much bigger than our little town.  I didn't feel good about it until I went and visited her.  When I saw all the culture and opportunities there I understood better why she wanted to stay.  As for the empty nesting, well, that takes some time.  After awhile you get to where you embrace it.  At first you don't know what your purpose is.  It's a big adjustment, but God has a plan for you and it can be exciting watching that unfold in your life, too.  I'm glad you got down to the nitty gritty with Him.  It sounds like you're on the up now.  It's good to hear that.

Waiting until May 2 is a hard thing.  It just goes to show that they aren't worried about it, I guess.  If it was something terrible they would have gotten her right in.  You are wise to not talk about it much.  The waiting is very hard and it's best just to stay busy.

I hope you have a great evening, Robin.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:37 PM

Robin,

When my son left home I scheduled a trip. I was so busy getting ready for the trip, I did not have time to swell on his leaving the nest. I left for the trip 3 days after he left home and was gone for 7 days. By the time I got back, it wasn't so bad not having him around the house. Because he was not around while I was on my trip. He has never been back home except for family visits. Course, with them being in Japan, I usually do the traveling to see them. Much cheaper for me, than the 5 of them. 

I hope this helps, even just a little.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 5:38 PM

Linny t:

I guess I'm leaning towards French or Asian. But anything would be fine with me.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Page 10 of 143 (2137 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use