rated by 0 users
This post has 515 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:43 AM

Lillie:

OK what if I did this. 1) Sew a framing border on the block, something that matches the block itself; and 2) sew larger strips of muslin onto the framing border (which will be removed when I get the block back) so that everyone can sew right to the edge of the block. And I'll have a border frame around my block which will allow me to make a pillow or a wall hanging.  Your thoughts?

For the round robin part you should keep it just to your block.  You can put the borders on when you get it back.  Just baste stitch around where the seam for the borders will go.  That'll tell folks where to stop stitching.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:50 AM

I was thinking...always a dangerous thing, lol.  Since these blocks are most likely going to be button rich, it might be helpful to anyone who wants to work in a hoop to follow this suggestion.  Make sure your hoop is larger than the block and temporarily baste the block onto some waste cotton while you're working on it so it'll fit  in the larger hoop.  Take the waste cotton off before you send it onto the next person.  Otherwise you'll be fighting and potentially crushing embellishments if you try to hoop over the embellishments.  This block size seems to me to be small enough to work in the hand, but some stitches are easier worked in a hoop.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 5:38 PM

Linny t:

I was thinking...always a dangerous thing, lol.  Since these blocks are most likely going to be button rich, it might be helpful to anyone who wants to work in a hoop to follow this suggestion.  Make sure your hoop is larger than the block and temporarily baste the block onto some waste cotton while you're working on it so it'll fit  in the larger hoop.  Take the waste cotton off before you send it onto the next person.  Otherwise you'll be fighting and potentially crushing embellishments if you try to hoop over the embellishments.  This block size seems to me to be small enough to work in the hand, but some stitches are easier worked in a hoop.

ACHK! I'm lost now.

Wouldn't it be easier if the block owner just basted waste cotton around the whole block. Then the owner could remove the cotton when the block is returned. You'd still have that 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch black space once the waste cotton was removed.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:18 PM

Lillie:
  Since these blocks are most likely going to be button rich

I don't think the blocks should be "button rich"  It's just a name.

And remember, these blocks are to be mailed.  I use a hoop very carefully if at all.   Extra fabric is extra postage.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:51 PM

Diane, what's the average cost of sending  a block forward?  Say you're the last one to stitch on it.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 8:45 PM

Average cost is $2.50 I would think.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:04 AM

In lieu of bulk and postage, I'm ok with skipping the sewing of the waste cloth before hand and just basting around the block.  It takes very little time to attach it if we need it.  

When I originally asked about this, I hadn't thought of basting to establish a line in which to stop our stitches, and that was my main concern really. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:42 AM

Lillie:

ACHK! I'm lost now.

Wouldn't it be easier if the block owner just basted waste cotton around the whole block. Then the owner could remove the cotton when the block is returned. You'd still have that 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch black space once the waste cotton was removed.

I'm sorry for all the confusion Lillie, It's my fault really.

I hadn't considered when I brought up adding the waste borders that everything we add to the block is going to also add on to bulk and postage. That can add up quickly.

It's also reasonable to think that the extra fabric sewn on to all areas could get in the way as you are stitching. That can be pretty frustrating as you are stitching along and realize you have caught the excess in your stitches. I have done that too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:45 AM

Stephanie:

I another group where I do round robins, you send the 12" block with no boarders.  If you want to hoop the block, you add it yourself to fabric as to not damage any work done and remove it before you send it to the next person.

As I said before, I simply work on the block as is with no hoop or if I do hoop, I am so careful to not damage what is there.   Isn't that simple enough?

Follow these instructions Lilly---add no extra fabric and it will come out fine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:39 AM

OK easy peasy. no borders

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 2:23 PM

Here is a photo of my first ever CQ block!  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,910
Linny t replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:43 PM

Lillie, that's beautiful! 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,250
Points 134,693
Stephanie replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 4:14 PM

Lillie:
Here is a photo of my first ever CQ block!

Looks wonderful Lillie. WTG! Love your fabrics.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,846
Points 60,915
Robin replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 9:37 AM

Lillie,

Your block is beautiful.   I love black and white and just a touch of red.  That will look great in the rooms you described in your house.

Robin

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 130
Points 23,465

Lillie:
my first ever CQ block

Lillie, nice job.  I would not have known you never made a CQ block if you had not stated it.

Love the choices of fabrics.  You have left some nice places for the others to embellish and this will be wonderful when done.

I would so have loved to join this group project but just not in the cards for me right now.  Maybe if you decide to do another RR, I will be in a better place and able to join.

Can't wait to see what everyone does. 

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 4 of 35 (516 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use