Lillie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 5:34 PM

Oh Yeh! I'm up for a Fl vaca!!!

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 5:40 PM

I can sew on border strips to my already finished 12-inch block. So it will probably be 16-inches and I can use that as a frame for the center block. yeh, I can see it in my head now.  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 5:45 PM

Lillie, since you've done your block already care to post a picture for us to see?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 41,815
Diane replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 6:28 PM

I would like to make an "under the sea" block for my bathroom.  Is that too out of line for "cute as a button"? 

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 7:51 PM

Diane:
 As long as the work area is 12".

Ok, great.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:00 PM

Diane:
Is that too out of line for "cute as a button"? 

I think it sounds beautiful, and I already have some goodies to put on that one.LOL.

Basically we can choose any theme we want. The "cute as a button" was more in reference to the way Sharon Boggon has finished her blocks in her "I dropped the Button Box "quilt. The seams have very detailed stitches, sometimes combining several and lots of embellishment, laces, beads, buttons, etc.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:08 PM

Linny t:
I will be basting mine 1/4" from the edge. 

That's a good idea. That gives everyone a stopping point and keeps your 12 inch stitching space. 

Linny t:
It's good to mention that we should all be respectful of the outside edge seam allowance when it comes to heavy seam treatments that would be hard to stitch through on the seam allowance.

Definitely.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,553
Points 139,418
Stephanie replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:16 PM

Lillie:
I can sew on border strips to my already finished 12-inch block.

Lillie, 

I was just going to baste muslin on for now. Not a real border, just an extension to make it easier to hoop all the way to the edge. That way if there's a piece of lace that someone wants to run along a seam, the seam  can be easily be snipped and lace edges tucked under.

I'd love to see a pic of your block too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 41,815
Diane replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:22 PM

Thanks Stephanie---I've been wanting to do the sea block for awhile.

Linny, I forgot to mention that we need to stitch around our blocks to define where we want people to stitch to.  Maybe 1/2 to 1" around.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 8:36 PM

Diane:

I would like to make an "under the sea" block for my bathroom.  Is that too out of line for "cute as a button"? 

I like it!  Thank you.  You have given me license, Diane.  I think I was getting stuck on the word "cute". 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:42 AM

Sure, sure. I'll get a picture of my block posted later today.

I was thinking I would either make a pillow from my block or I might frame it and hand it on the wall. This is so exciting. Thanks everyone for letting me join this RR.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:45 AM

Diane:

I think the theme of your block can be whatever you want it to be. And when I get your block, I'll have more focus to embellish with items that remind us of the sea. PERFECT!

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:00 AM

Stephanie:

Lillie:
I can sew on border strips to my already finished 12-inch block.

Lillie, 

I was just going to baste muslin on for now. Not a real border, just an extension to make it easier to hoop all the way to the edge. That way if there's a piece of lace that someone wants to run along a seam, the seam  can be easily be snipped and lace edges tucked under.

I'd love to see a pic of your block too.

Hmmm...now I have to decide if I'm going to make a pillow or frame it and make a wall hanging. And I have to decide about the borders. If I put muslin on I can always take it off when I get the block back. But if folks go all the way to the inside edge of the muslin, then I'll have trouble sewing a back on the block if I want to make a pillow.

OK what if I did this. 1) Sew a framing border on the block, something that matches the block itself; and 2) sew larger strips of muslin onto the framing border (which will be removed when I get the block back) so that everyone can sew right to the edge of the block. And I'll have a border frame around my block which will allow me to make a pillow or a wall hanging.  Your thoughts?

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:01 AM

Diane:

Linny, I forgot to mention that we need to stitch around our blocks to define where we want people to stitch to.  Maybe 1/2 to 1" around.

I don't get this. What are you referring to?

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,183
Points 111,515
Linny t replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:40 AM

Lillie:

Diane:

I don't get this. What are you referring to?

Lillie, this means temporarily baste stitch around the block where the seam will be when you attach the block to something else.  It keeps the outside pieces from flapping around and tells people where to stop stitching so seam treatments don't continue into the seam allowance.  Keeps everything neat.  If you do this you don't have to mess with the borders until you get it back and make something out of it.

Linny T

Page 3 of 35 (516 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use