rated by 0 users
This post has 515 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 6:25 PM

Lillie:
What size is best size for the flowers? Is tiny_mce_marker.95/yd a good price for YLI silk ribbon? Is there a better silk ribbon out there?

Lillie,

I mostly use 4 mm for flowers. You can do a lot with it. I am graduating to other sizes. I think .95 a yard is ok. I've been happy with Superior Threads, Di Van Niekerk and a link that Linny had given us for Hand Dyed Fibers. The latter two have some gorgeous tonal colors.     

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,092
Points 110,040
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 7:23 AM

Lillie, 2 mm is more like 1/8, 4mm is more like 1/4 and 7 mm is more like 5/8. For starting out 1/4" is good.  It's easy to handle and fits in the eye of a chenille needle easily.  The 2 mm is small, but you can see in my RR block that it looks like Diane made the ferns around the bouquet with it.  Is that right, Diane?  7mm isn't bad to work with and makes a nice med sized flower.  My advise is to start out with these and then progress to 13mm + up.  The wider ribbon takes a little bit more skill.  You will make beautiful silk ribbon embroidery, I'm sure.  Do you already know the basic stitches?  

In addition to the suppliers Stephanie mentioned, there's also Silkribbon.com.  Evening Star Designs has a sale right now on their River Silks.  Their River Silks are $3.40 for 5 meters.  That's a good deal.  I just checked out her site and I may just have to go buy some, lol.  They said they weren't going to keep adding to their stock and sort of wind down, but I keep seeing new things on her site, so maybe she changed her mind.  There are many suppliers of silk ribbon.  YLI is one good brand.  I like River Silks, too.  The ribbon I get from Silk Ribbon.com is good, also.  I get natural white ribbon in bulk there and dye it myself.  YLI is sold many places an it's a good ribbon.  Both Silk Ribbon.com and Hand Dyed Fibers will send you samples.  Some needlework shops carry silk ribbon.  I don't happen to have one close to me, so my experience is online shopping.  If you have one near, go check it out to see what they feel like in person.  There's nothing quite like a hank of silk ribbon in your hands, lol.  You'll become addicted if you're not careful.  It's a whole other world.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,047
Points 41,015
Diane replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:58 AM

Linny t:
 The 2 mm is small, but you can see in my RR block that it looks like Diane made the ferns around the bouquet with it

I'm not sure if it was 2 or 3 ml.  I have been starting out small too and want to order more of  different sizes and experiment.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 11:30 AM

Linny,

What the difference in DMC embroidery thread and wildflower thread?   I know that you have mention the wildflower before but I haven't branch out yet but I'm ready.   I've primarily been using the DMC floss and some of the DMC Pearle cottons.  I've also been looking for some wool threads any suggestions?   I really asking everyone.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,092
Points 110,040
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:31 PM

Wildflowers is like a fine pearl cotton, but oh so much nicer to stitch with.  Also you can get it over-dyed and in vibrant color combinations.  It's wonderful.  DMC pearl cotton only comes in solids.  It's not as brilliant and It is not as smooth either.  When you get some you will know the difference right away.  Caron has a lot of wonderful threads.  Steph Francis silk is wonderful, too.  They are just more luxurious threads.   

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,092
Points 110,040
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:36 PM

I forgot to say about wool.  I don't know that much because I haven't used much.  Wool makes my skin itch.  Always has since I was little.  I have to wear gloves to work with it or do little bits at a time.  Mary Corbet has some blog posts about it.  Just search her Needle n' Thread site for wool and you'll learn a lot.  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:38 PM

Robin:
What the difference in DMC embroidery thread and wildflower thread?

Wildflowers is a twist thread like perle. It's about 1/2 the thickness of the DMC perle cotton I  bought that was packaged like floss. I think they are all variegated in color too, but I'm not positive about this. Here's a link to Caron's website with the descriptions and closer pictures. There are also thread charts for colors.  

I haven't used any wool thread. I have heard that Aurifil makes a wool thread now. I checked Red Rock threads and they only have one shade. I have been using some of the Valdani perle threads on my wool project and I really like them, especially the brown black. I think it's 12 wt.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:40 PM

LOL. Talk about timing to reply. I forgot the link: http://www.caron-net.com/threads.html

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,047
Points 41,015
Diane replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 4:18 PM

You guys really your threads.  I noticed that there are some really pretty metallic threads in beautiful colors that people are using.  I wish I could spend more---to my hearts content!!!

I went to church today---haven't been for 2 months--I've been sick with one thing or another and am finally getting back on my feet.  I enjoyed the kids again so much during sunday school.  Nursery really.  All are 18 months to 21/2 years.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,092
Points 110,040
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:41 PM

Diane, good to hear you felt well enough to go to church.  It seems like it really blesses you.

The more I know about threads, the more threads I want.  Do I love thread because I CQ or do I CQ because I love thread?  Hard to distinguish, lol.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:38 AM

Diane,

I'm happy too that you got to church with the little ones.

I have always liked the sparkle of metallic threads and even in machine embroidery have found them to hold up very well. It's nice to have an alternative to sewing beads and sequins on.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,457
Points 137,848
Stephanie replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:43 AM

Linny t:
The more I know about threads, the more threads I want.  Do I love thread because I CQ or do I CQ because I love thread?  Hard to distinguish, lol.

All so true! Every one of them is a treasure and sometimes an inspiration for a future project.  It would be so neat to have a shop.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:19 AM

Linny,

Thanks for the information on the threads I've got to get more variety in my stash.

Diane,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you had a chance to go to church today.  I made it too. 

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 7:01 AM

Stephanie:

LOL. Talk about timing to reply. I forgot the link: http://www.caron-net.com/threads.html

Wow the threads are lovely. Thanks for the link.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,047
Points 41,015
Diane replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 12:22 PM

Thanks for the link Stephanie.  Beautiful threads there!

Yes, it was great to finally get to church.  Everyone seemed to understand except one man who used to be my home teacher.  He told me to come to church even though I was in pain or whatever.  I couldn't believe it!  I know that his wife always notices when I don't come. She's a doctor and feels that she can judge.  What a pain.  The lady in the nursery told me to just come to help when I can and they could always use the help.  

Page 23 of 35 (516 items) «Prev2122232425Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use