rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,110
Points 110,355
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:34 AM

Kris:

My Wednesday wasn't bad. My boss got fired. I worked on appliqué until it was time to come home then I made two blocks and worked on a design for the Virginia beach block exchange.

I'm trying to wind down and get some sleep.

S**w coming; about 6 - 8 inches of it followed by freezing rain/sleet. Wonderful (sarcasm). We're under winter storm warning from 5AM to 10PM!

That's funny!  Were you happy your boss got fired, Kris?  Did they deserve it?  Did I interpret that right or am I just coloring your story with my thoughts about my own boss?

Too bad you have winter storm warnings.  Do you get snow days when it's too icy to drive?  At least you'll have plenty to do if you can't drive to work.  I just hope the power doesn't go out for you.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,110
Points 110,355
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:36 AM

That's a great story with such a wonderful ending.  Good call on your part doing everything in your power to make them happy customers.  Now you have really good friends, too, for that leap of Faith!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:02 PM

Linny t:
That's funny!  Were you happy your boss got fired, Kris?  Did they deserve it?  Did I interpret that right or am I just coloring your story with my thoughts about my own boss?

Linny,

you read it correctly. While I'm not happy to see anyone lose a job in these times it was long overdue. He has been terrible. Incompetence is bad enough but he was quite the liar as well. There have been numerous complaints about him from day one. Took them two years to act.

Linny t:
Do you get snow days when it's too icy to drive?

Unfortunately no. I'm the only one on my shift. I live only three miles from the hospital so it not too bad after I get out of my neighbourhood (no plow by the time I leave the house).

I do have lots of down time with all the cancellations o I'm working on my appliqué and reading blogs.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:04 PM

Claudette,

I really like those fabrics. I'm not crazy about the 10 minute blocks with white (black might look nice) but I like the idea of the divided nine patch. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:57 PM

Kris:
I'm not crazy about the 10 minute blocks with white (black might look nice)

Hmmm... black is an interesting idea, but I don't think it would work well in the room I plan to use this in.

If I was to do the 10 minute blocks, the look I'd be going for is something like this... but possibly smaller sashing this time around:

I have several layout ideas for the divided 9 patch ...

The bed I plan to use it on (and the wall colors I'm dealing with) are:

(ok, well picture the walls a bit lighter.  Yes, the baseboard really is green- just not that intense.  It's actually quite pretty.  It was painted this way when we moved in.  I even have a purple radiator in this room!)

Thought?  Suggestions?  The only thing mandatory is I be able to use my 4" 30's reproduction squares.

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:09 PM

Kris:
While I'm not happy to see anyone lose a job in these times it was long overdue. He has been terrible. Incompetence is bad enough but he was quite the liar as well. There have been numerous complaints about him from day one. Took them two years to act.

I'm sorry it took so long for something to be done.  I, too, hate to see anyone lose their job in these trying times... but I also think if you want to keep your job you have to earn it.  There are far too many hard working, dedicated, unemployed people who will take your place if you don't.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,280
Robin replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:48 PM

Claudette,

I made a disappearing 9 patch for a Christmas present for my daughter and it made a stashing and corner stone.   It's in my gallery.  It might work for what you are planning.   How about a deep purple that is almost black?

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,110
Points 110,355
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:42 PM

Claudette, what is your favorite color?  Because if it's purple or green you could use that instead of white or black.  Just pull one of the shades that is already in the 4" patches.  I like the last layout the best.  I like how it kind of radiates out from the center. 

Thanks for sharing that picture again.  I just love seeing it!  What a pretty baby girl!

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:57 PM

Nice, Robin!  I have to admit, I'm drawn to all of the possibilities of combining the dissapearing 9.  You can do so much with it!

I did come to the realization, though, if I did the 10 minute block (finished at 7.5 inches), then sashed 4 of them together in a square, I would have a nice 15" block.  If I did this quilt as you go, I could use a 15" back piece as a single block, to which I could add a dresden plate.  I'm still puzzling over how I would quilt each block before sashing them together, though.

Something sort of like this...

I've always wanted to make a Dresden plate, and this way the quilt would be totally reversible.

I think I may have a difficult decision here...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 8:00 PM

Aw, shucks, Linny... you know how to make a girl feel good!  (blushes)  Thanks for the compliments!

I really do think I'd like at least some white.  Probably a bad decision since I have 2 dark colored cats...  But if I did the layout in my last post I could use the colored side most of the time and the dresden side when company comes over (the bedroom is next to the big bathroom so they kind of can't miss it.)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,110
Points 110,355
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 8:14 PM

I do like the way white looks next to the 30's prints.  It never fails.  It will be a beautiful quilt! 

I did a little Dresden, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would, so I abandoned it...that was probably 30 years ago or so.  Back when I still didn't know that I needed to learn patience, lol.  I did do a baby quilt a couple of years ago with spiral shaped blades/rays that was set like dresden plates.  It was fun to make.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,290
Claudette replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 8:21 PM

Sounds pretty, Linny.  Do you have pictures?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:10 PM

Claudette:
If I was to do the 10 minute blocks, the look I'd be going for is something like this... but possibly smaller sashing this time around:

I do like that layout Claudette and the white does look good (cute baby). I also like the second nine patch layout. I think your colours will work with that wall.

I like the Dresden idea best of all. I just like the look of these quilts. What ever you do it will be beautiful. Hard to miss with those fabrics and your talent.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,280
Robin replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:59 AM

Claudette,

I'm with everyone else.  I like the white too!   And I think the layout with the Dresden plate is the best.  It's just got a 1930 way about it to me.   I think it's all the curves that were in the aprons at that time period.   Anyway someone as talented as you will come up with the perfect plan.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 6:03 AM

Claudette,

Wow, Neat plans and layouts! I like the smaller sashing in your 10 minute block layout. Makes the centers and circular shapes really pop. I also really like all of your layouts of the nine patch. In the third one down I see alternating hearts. Cool! I know somewhere I saw an easier way to make Dresden plates, and I think it might have been a sewing with Nancy video. They are just timeless aren't they. Have you tried sewing out the smaller 7.5 inch 10 minute block? I did a ten inch with a central bird in it and I struggled with that. Course, I'm about as coordinated as an elephant. LOL

• Post Points: 5
Page 4 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use